rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

8 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Listening to the Xmas Beastcast and they got interrupted  for the explosion:. 

Impressive. 

Keep listening, it's a great one, shame Dan wasn't there for it though :(

I didn't care much for Dan on last year's Xmas special.  He seemed to spend most of his time trying to bend the rules or game the systems rather than realising that entering the spirit of things makes for a better show. 

• Upvote 1

I've finally got the the knockout stages of their GOTY podcasts. Does Jeff act like a petulant baby for all ten categories, or just the first one?

'If Donut County isn't on the list, nor should Red Dead 2 be'. Fucking grow up.

Dan's calm refusal to budge on RDR2 being most disappointing was nothing short of heroic in the face of Brad's bullshit. So great to hear someone point out the emperor is wearing no clothes among a sea of swooning and hype.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

As you say it's not that Brad likes the game, it's the shameless swooning. There are no flaws, anything bad you have to say about RDR2 is not a problem because he didn't have a problem with. Or because it's by design. Zero room for any critical thinking, the game is apparently perfect and he almost seems to take it personally whenever someone points out obvious shortcomings.

I haven't listened to most disappointing yet, but man were Brad and Alex ever annoying about RDR2 in the Styyyyyle category. First Dragon Ball FighterZ gets taken off the list immediately because even though it's styyyyyle is awesome and impressive, it's "just doing an already existing style very well". Subsequently Brad drones on and on about the cinematic quality of RDR2. It all comes down to how well they have recreated classic spaghetti westerns. Every. Single. Example. Vinny and Ben even point that out, that every single one of the many examples he purports to have about the styyyyyyle, all boil down to how goddamn cinematic it is and how well Rockstar is aping an existing style just like they do with all of their games. The way Brad described it you might as well watch a fucking movie yet he refuses to let it go.

The music category was another fine example of RDR2 emperor's clothes; Brad and Alex bring along a massive playlist, like dozens of tracks, and end with a very stupid and silly song about building a house. Of course everyone laughs because it's a stupid song. But Brad is offended that the others fail to see the artistic merits of this high concept classic! It's in RDR2 and RDR2 is perfect, therefore this song is perfect.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Speaking of GotY, this probably speaks volumes about their new site design, but where are the articles about their GotY categories? I can't find them, just the individual staff top 10 lists. Are we expected to listen to all the podcasts to know what's what?

For future reference there is a 'words' section in the sidebar where all the articles are buried in cement. 

On 31/12/2018 at 16:54, Trumpets said:

The bottom line is that Jeff is the boss and he played it for three hours and didn't like it, so it went on the list.

Did you listen this year? Jeff rolled over on pretty much everything.

His number one game didn't even make the top 10!

I also agree with everyone that Brad was fucking awful this game of the year. I swear all he played was Destiny 2 and RDR.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Jeff was extremely relaxed and reasonable. I noticed that too. During Best Debut (where I'm currently at with the podcasts) he eventually says that Obra Dinn has the best arguments put forward by others - while it wasn't the game he personally would have picked! 

Vinny is like a dad in every category, one of those cool ones that the entire class likes.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Did you listen this year? Jeff rolled over on pretty much everything.

His number one game didn't even make the top 10!

I also agree with everyone that Brad was fucking awful this game of the year. I swear all he played was Destiny 2 and RDR.

I've only heard the first one, best style, in which he acts like a spoilt toddler, so I'm glad to hear he improves as it goes on.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, Jeff was extremely relaxed and reasonable.

Fucking Hell! This is good to know. I'm way behind, having just started day 2, as I didn't get any chance to listen over Xmas.

Gotta say I think some of the criticism of Abby's GoW points upthread were a bit over the top. I was dreading it, expecting her to be screaming for 10 minutes about violence against women. She makes a few points and then moves on. Not massively well thought out points, I'd agree, but hardly gnashing and wailing I was expecting after the comments earlier.

• Upvote 4

Yeah, Jeff makes a point about Donut County - why he likes it, why it speaks to him - and is subsequently willing to let it go because other arguments are more persuasive. Amazing scenes.

Abyy is totally okay for the majority of the deliberations. Her GoW was - so far - the worst. She just repeats a bit too often that she likes a certain game without adding new arguments.

Ben is surprisingly okay. He dared to take a stand against Brad's RDR2 fanboyism nonsense, calling him out: "dude, everything you're saying now is about it being a good movie" 

• Upvote 1

One of my biggest bugbears from the GOTY podcasts: every time they do a vote (which this year was quite often), whenever they came to Brad he ALWAYS refused to give a straight answer, on more than than one occasion just leaving several seconds of dead air. Then he just ended up saying a variant of 'all I care about is Red Dead/Destiny' anyway. It really did come across as a total lack of respect for the listener and the rest of the crew who were trying to create a meaningful  discussion and move things forward.

He's just generally really bad at keeping conversations focused and constantly moving forward , which isn't a great attribute for a podcast host.  The recent Jeff-hosted Bombcast was the best one in a long time which I don't think was a coincidence. 

The whole Red Dead getting nominated for most disappointing game hold-up was odd because it was never suggested that it was going to win the category. Did it really matter that much to Brad and Alex to try and stop Dans disappointment with the game being recognised in a minor way? Just weird. 

Brad filibusters until everyone else gives in and puts his latest obsession on the list, it's always been his go to tactic. Didn't work as well this time. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Vinny is the best.

In other GB news I finally had my hoody delivered and can attest it is loverly.

Got mine as well, along with one of their "Old Games" tees.

It is a very nice hoody.

• Upvote 1

On 07/01/2019 at 08:24, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, Jeff was extremely relaxed and reasonable. I noticed that too. During Best Debut (where I'm currently at with the podcasts) he eventually says that Obra Dinn has the best arguments put forward by others - while it wasn't the game he personally would have picked! 

Just quoting this again to say, I'm through Day 3 now and so far am really impressed with how hands off Jeff has been. Instead of labouring on games he doesn't like as in the past, he just says his piece then leaves everyone to it. Makes for so much better listening.

Also, Abby is now forgiven any previous transgressions (I actually don;t mind her at all and find her different points of view mostly interesting, even if I don't always agree with them) as she actually said 'addictive' instead of 'addicting' during a conversation in day 2, can't remember the game).

Finally finished all the GotY discussions, including most disappointing, and Dan is indeed a goddamn hero. He stayed calm and collected, while Brad and Alex were shamelessly being shouty, obnoxious bullies. He was reasonable, put forth convincing arguments, and deservedly won the day. Brad and Alex didn't have any good counterpoints, all they did was shout that they liked the game. It was pointed out several times that Destiny 1 got on both Most Disappointing and GotY Top 10 before, and that it was number 10 only because a single staff member was passionate about it despite the rest thinking it was a dumpster fire - I noticed Brad never reacted to that. No response, nothing. 

Newfound respect for Dan!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I really like Brad. He's very low key, obviously, but I do believe he is genuinely passionate and excited about games. I sometimes get the sense that years of having to be in front of the camera and weathering all the comments and stuff have worn him down a bit, but he appreciates the experiences in games beyond the base mechanics and is quite insightful at times. He just needs a hug or something.

I also like Ben, though I'm not quite sure why. I appreciate Abby's perspective and I think she's usually fine, but her voice is sometimes a bit, hmm, challenging.

I actually find Jeff hard work sometimes these days. He's just so negative about everything, even stuff that he actually likes and plays. He was so scathing about The Division for example, despite playing it constantly and bringing it up as a great game in the GOTYs etc. well after the fact. It's actually got to the point that I don't care what he says about Game X because, guess what, he says it's bad. I'll just go and play Game X myself and, guess what, I love it. He's still great at discussing news and stuff though - always really interesting.

I love everyone else except Dan who I do not love at all. I really miss Drew for his different perspective as well.

It's amazing that we have been silent guests at their table while they chat about games for well over a decade now. I can't imagine big events like E3 or console launches without them.

• Upvote 6

I don't mind Brad at all, he has a completely different taste in games from me so his passion for the ones he gets obsessed with can get a bit wearing, though. 

1 hour ago, El Stevo said:

I really like Brad. He's very low key, obviously, but I do believe he is genuinely passionate and excited about games. I sometimes get the sense that years of having to be in front of the camera and weathering all the comments and stuff have worn him down a bit, but he appreciates the experiences in games beyond the base mechanics and is quite insightful at times. He just needs a hug or something.

I also like Ben, though I'm not quite sure why. I appreciate Abby's perspective and I think she's usually fine, but her voice is sometimes a bit, hmm, challenging.

I actually find Jeff hard work sometimes these days. He's just so negative about everything, even stuff that he actually likes and plays. He was so scathing about The Division for example, despite playing it constantly and bringing it up as a great game in the GOTYs etc. well after the fact. It's actually got to the point that I don't care what he says about Game X because, guess what, he says it's bad. I'll just go and play Game X myself and, guess what, I love it. He's still great at discussing news and stuff though - always really interesting.

I love everyone else except Dan who I do not love at all. I really miss Drew for his different perspective as well.

It's amazing that we have been silent guests at their table while they chat about games for well over a decade now. I can't imagine big events like E3 or console launches without them.

Agree on all points (apart from the Ben one, although he's been fine on the GOTY episodes which I'm still going through.)

I don't mind Brad at all, 99% of the time I either think he's great, or sleepy - or both. Same with Alex. Only when specifically defending RDR2 during these GotY discussions, is when I found them to be annoying. "All the flaws you mention, are all by design and I got used to them, so either way they're not relevant". There's defending a game you love, and then there's sounding like you're part of a crazed radical cult.

Dan is fantastic imo, he brings mad energy and crazy ideas to the proceedings. The way he calmly stood up to the howling duo of Brad and Alex during most disappointing also proves he's more thoughtful than you'd think.

Anyway, it was all fantastically entertaining. As mentioned earlier, even Ben was okay because he wasn't desperately trying to be funny during the GotY discussions. That works a shitload better for him.

• Upvote 3