rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

1 hour ago, MrHendo said:

Most disappointing is a real slog. 

Found it great, literally just finished it as I couldn't sleep till I heard it to the end, I'm fully onboard with that top 3 though.

Oh yeah, I absolutely am, but man it dragged on and watching the video form, that room got real tense, real quick.

They got the right outcome, I’m more or less with Dan, it’s a bitter disappointment, even though I can admire just about everything in it,  bar the actual playing.

But regardless, Dan was right - they always let one person throw a strop and get their way and it was his turn. And he was never gonna fight to keep it off the top 10, so it’s like, “at least give him that”.

Also, I enjoyed A Way Out, they make it sound like it’s a game that shouldn’t be touched, and that’s just crazy. Disappointing, yeah, but it’s still a unique and interesting co-op story that should be tried out.

• Upvote 1

I've realised what it is I find annoying about Giant Bomb these days - obviously it's Ben and Abby like everyone else, but I've realised why. The problem is very much with me and my attitude and grumpiness but a lot of their shows now are like a family Xmas when you get everyone together - maybe you're going to play a game or have some drinks - then someone turns up with their kids and instead of quietly playing in the corner they're constantly demanding attention and wanting to join in and are allowed to do so but it just means that everything's ruined a bit as you have to include the kids.

Whilst I generally find Ben more annoying than Abby, who can be alright when she's just being herself, it's Abby who is the more annoying when she starts demanding attention and squealing just for the sake of saying something and being heard even when she hasn't really got anything to say. She can offer some interesting different viewpoints at times but this need to be involved even when things don't concern her at all is the podcast/video equivalent of a child tugging on a parent's arm when they're trying to talk to someone. I thought she was going to stop this once she'd settled in but she still does it.

I tried to stay out of here as I don't like typing negative things about people I don't know - I'm sure they're lovely people - but I needed the catharsis.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

In the end their awards are a very solid selection, can't quibble with many of their selections and I'm delighted with their top two.

Even though AC Odyssey was this year's Witcher 3 - a sprawling game none of them could be bothered to play after one took against it and put them off so it didn't even make the top 10 despite being probably the best AAA game of the year. 

I'll never understand why Alex loved Origins but didn't get on with Odyssey. It's the same game but much, much better in all aspects.

He burned out on Origins then had to play through Odyssey over a very short period less than a year afterwards. They probably should have got someone else to review it, as he did it a disservice.

• Upvote 2

Yeah. I found his take on Odyssey interesting and can totally see why you'd get series burnout. I completely ignored Origins, I think Odyssey's brilliant.

I don't think it's a coincidence that every list on the Rllmuk end of year poll that has both Odyssey and RDR2 on it somewhere has Odyssey ranked higher. 

• Upvote 1

I notice that Rorie really loves it, which probably shouldn't be a surprise as he's the one member of the team who plays a lot of western-style RPGs. But he doesn't get any say in the site awards. 

Getting through these slowly but my God Abbie should not be there at all. She's ruining it by constantly talking for what only seems to be a reason to make noise like a fucking toddler.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

It's the same thing Patrick used to do. He had to have an opinion on anything even when his opinion brought nothing to the table. By comparison Jason barely talks at all, except to speak on the things he was the only person massively invested in

Must admit I've not really enjoyed the GOTY coverage this year. The format didn't really work, the discussions fairly dull and the entire thing was fairly predictable and a bit of a slog all in all. The other content was better this year though I think. It's still not quite as good as it used to be - I liked the filmed staff top 10s and the dumb themed recap videos - but the special videos this year seemed a bit more fun.

I’ve been listening to Giant Bomb since its inception and I think this year’s GOTY pods have actually been really good. I listen to them (often several times throughout the course of year) to learn about games I may have missed, hear passion articulated by the crew members, and also for the odd bit of genuine tension, and the new format has been great for that.

By contrast I thought last year’s GOTY podcasts were the worst ever for a mile and borderline unlistenable, and Abby was undeniably a big reason as her inexperience in that kind of environment really shone through (understandably). I’ve enjoyed her contributions this year though, and Ben (who I guess I kind of understand the hate for but then again not really?) has been great - moved the conversation on well, made good points, picked his battles etc. Jan is also clearly a fantastic addition.

The weakest crew member - and I say this as a longtime fan - is Brad, and has been for a number of years. His attitude during the GOTY - and to be honest the bulk of the year - manages to be both lazy and stubborn and I find it by far the most frustrating thing about listening to/watching Giant Bomb. He’s never exactly been high energy but he just seems to have totally checked out. The man just needs a long break, as he clearly doesn’t enjoy being there - people often accuse Jeff of hating games, but with Brad I genuinely feel like he’s sick of the whole enterprise. But then Brad always gets a free pass as he was one of the original crew, and Ben and Abby get piled onto regardless, despite their contributions to the site and GOTY being ostensibly much more considered and interesting. I think Brad is a great writer and his opinions on games are genuinely some of the most intriguing and well developed around, but I’m also at the point where I really hope he can have some time off and find his mojo again. 

anyway - these podcasts have been a great listen! And Giant Bomb remains A Good Thing. 

• Upvote 6

I don't mind Brad, but yeah I'd noticed last year and again this year that 90%* of his GotY conversations are about games of which he only played the first hour if that... but he wishes he could have played more etc etc because it looked interesting etc etc. Anyway, it never stops him from getting in there with big, stubborn opinions against staff members who have played a lot more than 1 hour - it doesn't annoy me, I just think it's funny. 

*The remaining 10% being Destiny and, for some reason, State of Decay 2.

Brad is the master of the bullish filibuster. Eventually he usually gets his way because everyone gets fed up. 

That slightly shite Mummy game got on their Best Surprise runners up last year because Brad (and no one else) played an hour of it 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm on day 4 at the moment...

Did Brad ONLY play RDR2 this year?

Nice to see that Abby has become a lot less obnoxious this year, and that Brad has rightly claimed his throne once more.

• Upvote 1

I think Alex took the “most obnoxious” award during the most disappointing category. You know you’ve fucked up when Vinny calls you out on it. 

Generally though I really liked this years content. It was much better than last years, other than Brad intentionally spoiling their Christmas Mario Party stream before it had even aired and then being petty about it afterwards. 

Abby had her moments, but she was far from the only one (and not even the worst). Alex and Brad were the most frustrating for sure. 

I liked Alex and Brad fighting for Red Dead, since I agreed with them and Jeff was being a complete twat about it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

I liked Alex and Brad fighting for Red Dead, since I agreed with them and Jeff was being a complete twat about it.

Well, I'm glad there's someone to balance it out. Alex argues his points well, but Brad is emblematic of the attitude of the majority of game journos towards Rockstar games in general and RDR2 in particular. Every single flaw that Jeff or Dan or even Ben point out, Brad is ridiculously quick to immediately dismiss. His main argument boils down every time to: "it's not a flaw because I loved the game". But the cumbersome controls Brad? "I was the best RDR2 player by the end" And shamelessly gushing all the time about how much this game must have cost, "OMG look at how much content!" It's a good thing that at least someone  dares to discuss  the gameplay quality of that content. That's not 'being a twat' but fair criticism. I wish more actual journos would have engaged in actual critique instead of fanboying blindly into a 10/10.

• Upvote 3

Nah, Jeff's point was "You walk too slow around the camp" then he stopped playing it. Hardly a balanced opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Brads opinion is hardly balanced either. Unrelated, but Brandon from Easy Allies literally said he’s grateful to Rockstar for releasing RDR2. The reaction from some people has been insanely over the top and it really grates. 

I more meant that both Alex and Brad refused to accept any criticism of RDR2 and were being incredibly stubborn about including it on the list. Brad even asked for a vote, then when it surprised him by going the other way he said voting doesn’t matter as its not a democracy. Alex tried the tactic of latching onto other games to try and make them sound more disappointing, but both Jeff and Vinny called him out on that bullshit thankfully. 

• Upvote 3

The bottom line is that Jeff is the boss and he played it for three hours and didn't like it, so it went on the list.

• Upvote 1

I actually felt like the Jeff railroading was heavily diminished this year. Someone on Reddit always looks at correlation between staff lists and overall lists. They've not done it yet but I think Jeff's correlation will be way down for 2018.

I always thought that Brad more than anyone else was never really the same after Ryan went. Maybe that’s all in my head and his flaws just became more noticeable when he was forced into the position of host. 

Nobody bothered me much this year. I suspect it’s because I wasn’t overly invested in what won. I’m willing to give Alex a pass as he’s always been the quickest to concede his favourites in previous years. 

I think becoming a Dad has given Vinnie such a different perspective.  I've really enjoyed listening to him over the 2018 GotY podcasts.  Genuinely balanced and touching at times.  

The format of these GOTY podcasts are rubbish; what a tedious slog. They should do something completely different next year.

I enjoyed them, the only caveat being that the random spoilers all  over the place meant I had to be on guard to mute the volume or skip forwards.

Even Abby was slightly more bearable this year, although I did a 'like' count for her in one section of an episode and she said the word SEVEN TIMES IN ONE FUCKING SENTENCE.

45 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Even Abby was slightly more bearable this year, although I did a 'like' count for her in one section of an episode and she said the word SEVEN TIMES IN ONE FUCKING SENTENCE.

Good to hear she’s cutting down. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, SqueakyG said:

I was more annoyed once I noticed that Abby started all her sentences with the phrase "I feel like"

At least it seems you hear less of "I wanna saaaaaay" these days. It really was driving me, I wanna say, insane.

7 hours ago, dave7g said:

At least it seems you hear less of "I wanna saaaaaay" these days. It really was driving me, I wanna say, insane.

I feel like this post is very good, like, very good. I just wanna say this is very good, very good... But it doesn't hang.

Halfway through day 5 at the moment. 

Spoiler

I'm with Dan about rdr2 as biggest dissapointment, and fallout never looking good from its initial showing.

• Upvote 3