rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

I'm going with Dead Cells. It has the Jeff Seal of Approval (tm), most of the other staff were pretty positive on it, and Jason could end up being a quiet force in the background, urging it forward when someone else inevitably suggests it. 

If not that, then Celeste, Tetris or Into the Breach. It's gotta be the year of the indie - can't see any of the AAA stuff this year having enough support. RDR2 is dead in the water, Spider-Man won't have anyone willing to die on the hill for it... Mayyybe God of War, but I still can't see it. I actually think Black Ops 4 will have a strong showing between Jeff, Dan and Abby, but nobody else really beyond that.

You don't need to play through the whole thing to have a useful opinion on it, but four hours is nothing in a game like that.

I'd hope one of the others will remind him of that during the GOTY discussions, but I won't hold my breath.

• Upvote 1

The game's strongest point is the story. and how it comes to a head in the end. There's never been better storytelling in any game IMO. But sure, dismiss it after a couple of hours (if even).

15 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Did you play 100 hours to completion of the story?

Does the game suddenly change how it’s designed after 99 hours of playtime?

Also, both Dan and Jan also dislike RDR2. Vinny seems pretty lukewarm on it too. 

This is best game we’re talking about. There’s a separate category for best story, and I’m sure it will be mentioned there. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Trumpets said:

It's almost as if Jeff is totally jaded with modern gaming and should take more of a managerial role.

Let's be real, there's a lot to be jaded about with modern gaming, especially any content that comes from the big publishers.

Hottest mess is going to be a very crowded category this year.

• Upvote 2

It'd be nice if the GotY winner also got the videogame part of it right and not just the story part. But to each his own, I'm sure that @dave7g hates a lot of games that I love. Opinions work like that. And a game like RDR2 is of course divisive, it has plenty of significant flaws that you can point at, flaws that either spoil the game for you or they don't. I would give Vampyr my GotY, but I completely understand that a lot of people would disagree. And I think the story is great in Vampyr, but I would never say anyone should play it all the way through for the story if they're not having fun - in the end, that's what we play games for.

Surely Fallout 76 is nailed on for Hottest Mess, that really will be a battle for second place.

Whatever your feelings on RDR, there's just no way Jeff will let it be GOTY. I agree that 4 hours is not enough to really get a feel for it, but he REALLY seems to hate it. It'll probably get some lip service from Alex and Abby then sneak in at number 10 like Witcher 3 did.

3 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Mario Maker won that year. Jeff loved it so there you go.

Jeff and Dan both loved it, and coincidentally they both hate RDR2... So I don't think it stands a chance, not even if the rest bloody loved it. Dan played it all the way to the end btw

14 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Mario Maker won that year. Jeff loved it so there you go.

Yep, the others wanted MGS5 to win and I believe the debate went on for several years before Vinny said 'I just want to go home so, whatever' or words to that effect.

I got about halfway through yesterday before I realised it was a mistake. I was gonna carry on listening but then they had a call-in question from the British girl or guy (not sure which) re-doing the “from Brooklyn” meme and I had to turn off. Reminded me why I stopped listening to the after show podcast.

Yep, I was surprised to find the call in show has been going for over a year now. Ben is so bad at fielding questions and handling the callers. That episode with just Ben and Rory was a fucking car crash. 

8 minutes ago, bobman said:

I'm not the greatest lover of smash bros, but that quick look was incomprehensible. Ben is a bumbling inarticulate mess at the moment.

At the moment? He's killed the bombcast for me. He has a terrible voice coupled with persistent lame jokes. How has he lasted this long?!