rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

I found the bonus podcast so frustrating. I mean I absolutely loved the interviews and the clips BUT it really frustrated me when someone was talking about their favourite moments on the show and they didn’t play the clip they were talking about.

”the Saints Row vs Skyrim argument was legendary” followed by a completely random clip.

its hard to explain, I really enjoyed it but it frustrated me.

• Upvote 1

The whole thing about the Skyrim/SR3 debate was its insane length. They couldn’t have played a clip to do it justice without adding two hours to the ‘cast.

(actually maybe they could’ve had bits of it running all the way through the episode in little chunks)

I would’ve liked the Yelp rant in there.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The underlying tone definitely came across as "I can't wait to get the fuck away from this fucking job and all you fucking nerds"

"Once you've sufficiently raised my internet profile for my 'comedy'."

She'd absolutely love it if she could get a Drew's blinking guy moment. She'd be off with that.

Always make me smile when Vinny demonstrates that he’s head and shoulders above her, and anyone else on staff, at improv naturally. 

I’d almost forgotten how mental some of Jeffs stories about his old house are.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Always make me smile when Vinny demonstrates that he’s head and shoulders above her, and anyone else on staff, at improv naturally

Yeah the difference is pretty noticeable, not just how he's always way, waaaaay more creative and waaay funnier than Abby at doing a comedy bit, but there are times when he pushes the bit so far that she's stumped and stumbles for words. 

But I'd argue that Jeff and Ryan (RIP) are just as funny and naturally skilled as Vinny at doing improv-ey bits. Just listen to that best of 10 year GB podcast, it was at its best with those three together. But I'd go even further and say that the likes of Dan and Dave are also way better and funnier than Abby at doing comedy bits. In fact, even Alex sometimes outshines her in reacting to Vinny. 

• Upvote 2

Super Mario Party seems like the sort of thing that'd get recorded during Game of the Year and then put up between Christmas and New Year's. 

I don't know why you guys are so hard on Abby for not committing to GB as a lifer. When it comes to gaming websites GB is very much the exception when it comes to staff turnover so her using it to get experience and hone her craft doesn't bother me at all. Drew had the same detachment to games that she has and always sounded like he wanted to travel, it's not like she's the first employee who would have done that. 

Ben is the only 'new' staff member who I cannot see ever leaving GB.

• Upvote 4

Yeah Ben is most likely to be the last one there.

The difference between Abby and Drew is that Drew didn't come across as actively disliking the entire GB audience. I don't really mind Abby personally, I think she does a decent job and is way better at it than Ben. But back when she started out there were often moments where she was talking about "all the fucking nerds" who annoyed her to no end. "Argh fucking nerds!" She dialed it way back since then, but occasionally she'll let it slip (like on that best of 10 years GB podcast) that she really dislikes parts of the job, specifically the audience that comes along with it.

Again, I don't mind her at all despite that. She's okay at her job, unlike Ben who means well but has zero talent 

• Upvote 3

At the end of it I didn't want Ryan to go again.  The chemistry and bond between the original four was so familiar and funny.

Those guys...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

I don't know why you guys are so hard on Abby for not committing to GB as a lifer. When it comes to gaming websites GB is very much the exception when it comes to staff turnover so her using it to get experience and hone her craft doesn't bother me at all. Drew had the same detachment to games that she has and always sounded like he wanted to travel, it's not like she's the first employee who would have done that. 

Ben is the only 'new' staff member who I cannot see ever leaving GB.

Yeah I agree. Nothing wrong with Abby or her career. As for her improv comedy versus Vinny -  she's nearly twenty years younger than some of these guys, so it's natural they'd have more to pull from than her. I'm not about to start the Abby fan club here but I don't understand the negativity she attracts online.

• Upvote 7

I was initially quite impressed with Abby in that she can form coherent sentences and speak clearly compared to Ben’s rambles.. But I can’t stand the bizarre intonation (OAKey DOEkey..) she’s borrowed from the HQ hosts when reading out the emails. 

I've always taken that abby thing as a shtick. Not a very funny one, mind you. 

The email section has gone to shit since she took it over right enough. :(

I don't dislike Abby either, it's just that she's a little bit too sure of herself. Maybe it's a 'British' thing but that brash confidence can irritate at times, especially when it's not quite earned and any time anyone tries to bring her back a down a little or makes a little jibe she can get really touchy, though to be fair, she seems much better in that regard recently. Probably just took a while to settle. The whole nerd stuff doesn't bother me but it just seems a bit unprofessional and rude.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

At the end of it I didn't want Ryan to go again.  The chemistry and bond between the original four was so familiar and funny.

Those guys...

It was literally familiar, which is why it worked so well I think. Jeff was the Dad, Ryan the mum, and Brad and Vinny were the academic and the outgoing children respectively. After a couple of years weird uncle Patrick moved in, then mum died, then the outgoing kid flew the nest and an even weirder lodger called Ben arrived.

So now we're left with a dad and his large adult son, and the strange lodger. The nuclear family has mutated into the sort of 'family' people gossip about in the pub.

I've probably thought about this too much.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

3 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

It was literally familiar, which is why it worked so well I think. Jeff was the Dad, Ryan the mum, and Brad and Vinny were the academic and the outgoing children respectively. After a couple of years weird uncle Patrick moved in, then mum died, then the outgoing kid flew the nest and an even weirder lodger called Ben arrived.

So now we're left with a dad and his large adult son, and the strange lodger. The nuclear family has mutated into the sort of 'family' people gossip about in the pub.

I've probably thought about this too much.

Beastcast was Vinny as dad who'd always undermine Alex's slightly more sensible mum and give the kids chocolate and let them stay up late. The kid being the scholarly Austin. Fun uncle Jeff would then come round and jokingly take the side of the mum but he's always the dad's mate really and he'd join in spoiling the kid while waiting to go off to the pub. Then Austin left for college and they adopted a hyperactive boy and girl called Danny and Abby and Vinny's willingness to let them drink as much aspartame as they want sometimes backfires.

• Upvote 1

The site redesign looks good, finally properly focused around video series, for a site which does lots series of videos. 

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

The site redesign looks good, finally properly focused around video series, for a site which does lots series of videos. 

Agreed, it's nice. And efficient. Before it was always a bit of faffing about trying to find specific videos of specific series, with the homepage being focused on news items. Now it's all videos everywhere and watchlist feature is a very welcome addition! I like it.

12 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah Ben is most likely to be the last one there.

The difference between Abby and Drew is that Drew didn't come across as actively disliking the entire GB audience. I don't really mind Abby personally, I think she does a decent job and is way better at it than Ben. But back when she started out there were often moments where she was talking about "all the fucking nerds" who annoyed her to no end. "Argh fucking nerds!" She dialed it way back since then, but occasionally she'll let it slip (like on that best of 10 years GB podcast) that she really dislikes parts of the job, specifically the audience that comes along with it.

Again, I don't mind her at all despite that. She's okay at her job, unlike Ben who means well but has zero talent 

Gee, reading this thread, I wonder why Abby isn't that fond of the audience.

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I don't know, is anyone really hostile? I don't really follow the comments or see the feedback on Twitter, but I had the impression that Abby was generally well liked and Ben less so. Like, her disdain for "sad nerds" seems far greater than whatever negative feedback she receives. But maybe I'm totally wrong about that, like I said I don't keep up really. And personally I like Abby just fine, the only staff member that ever turned me off any content is Ben - and even he seems like a nice dude, it's just that he has no talent for this video and podcast stuff. 

Edit: and since you quoted my post specifically, what is it about me saying she's good at this Giant Bomb lark that offends so?

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

But anything said in this thread is a result of her disdain, not the cause of it. I’d also argue that most of it hasn’t been especially harsh. I like Abby, but I don’t think there’s any arguing that she dislikes the majority of Giant Bombs fan base. 

• Upvote 1

Having a general disdain for the wider gaming audience is a sign of a well adjusted person tbh. They're pretty horrible. 

• Upvote 8

I think part of this is age too. We all grew up with nerd being a negative term. I'm not sure that's the case any more.

Just to cosign that Jeff's rant at the Resident Evil remake is probably the funniest moment on the whole best-of podcast. Dan and Brad's  laughter when they immediately realise they've been justifiably called out is what makes it. 

'THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD, MAN'

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Radish said:

But anything said in this thread is a result of her disdain, not the cause of it. I’d also argue that most of it hasn’t been especially harsh. I like Abby, but I don’t think there’s any arguing that she dislikes the majority of Giant Bombs fan base. 

I don't believe this thread or forum are all that bad either, but I do expect other parts of the internet to be jaw-droppingly awful towards her. If she's taken a 'fuck you too' attitude, I can't say I blame her. It'd be nice if everyone could forgive and forget.

Patrick Klepek was a target for internet nastiness when he went through some GB audience hatred too. He spoke about how it affected his confidence etc. Christ knows what it does to a person's self-esteem.

• Upvote 3

Oh I'm 100% sure there are are people being jaw-droppingly awful to her (and to a lot of other people). I just get the feeling she now believes all gamers/"nerds" are like that, or isn't willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, which is perhaps understandable but not really fair. Maybe it's easy for me to say that considering I haven't had to deal with even 1% of the bullshit she no doubt does.

• Upvote 1