VN1X

Giant Bomb Fan Club - How Not to Play Sekiro This Friday

I went Premium at some point last year and it's great. I'd happily just donate based on the free stuff, but the extra content is really entertaining.

I do miss Vinny on the podcasts though. Dan is alright I suppose. it could just be the constant wrestling references, but Jason (the other new guy) seems way more likeable and funny.

The tension Dan seems to have added is pretty funny to watch though(see the Mario Party video)

Oh man the flight stuff reminds me of the last gameathon thing where he and a very sleep deprived drew tried to fly warthogs and Vinnie managed to set his alight on the run way, then tried to run after drew who (I think) promptly crashed after a 30 min build up of preflight checks.

Dan was hilarious on the greygoo quick look. The first mission failed so hard.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I wish they would use Jason on a few more videos. He has that Drew-esque understated charisma.

The latest demo derby video shows that they work a lot better with Jeff on them. He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of old games, love a good info dump.

I binge watched the Metal Gear Scanlon videos after I subscribed. So fucking good. Watching those gave me no choice but to go back and replay mgs 2 to try and figure out the story alongside them, and then play through mgs 4 over christmas. I can't wait till they start that up again.

This is the funniest gaming video I've ever seen in my life. I've watched it at least six or seven times and it just cracks me up throughout with every watch. Drew, Vinny and Dave playing DCS: A-10C Warthog. Or trying to.

This is your captain speaking....I think I need to turn on the boost......pumps.....Mary can you come to the cockpit?

• Upvote 3

Can we swap Jason/Dan's Dad/Any of the dogs with Brad from now on please? He's become a total bellend ever since he started gaining weight. I think DOTA/Destiny finally broke Brad.

• Upvote 2

Seeing Brad now still freaks me out. He looks like someone in a fat suit. Like I posted before I remember him from On The Spot where he was pretty slim.

As someone posted in the gaming podcast thread a decade of sitting on your ass drinking Mountain Dew and playing games has taken its toll.

• Upvote 1

He was thin in the 2012 GOTY videos. It's been a recent explosion, mid thirties metabolism is probably to blame but he really should make some kind of effort to get back to his fighting weight.

I'll take exception to him being shit though. I think he has been an excellent host to the Bombcast. He's not as good as Ryan was but there is no shame in that.

• Upvote 3

Has it ever been mentioned by him or the others in the podcast? I'm not having a go at the guy I was just really shocked when I saw him when I first started listening to GB.

I'm going to be honest here, I haven't watched or enjoyed Giantbomb much since Ryan died and Vinny moving away didn't help either. There was just a chemistry which has been missing since with Ryan being the glue that held them all altogether, it's completely sapped my interest in the site now and I barely visit it or listen to the podcasts. Glad they're still going though as I don't wish them any ill will, but the site kinda died for me when Ryan did.

• Upvote 1

They're all great in some ways and not in others. The important thing is they cover a wide variety of things they're all genuinely interested in, rather than all cooing over the same stuff. Every single one of them is insufferable on some topics and solid gold on others. Except Vinny. He's the best.

I'm going to be honest here, I haven't watched or enjoyed Giantbomb much since Ryan died and Vinny moving away didn't help either. There was just a chemistry which has been missing since with Ryan being the glue that held them all altogether, it's completely sapped my interest in the site now and I barely visit it or listen to the podcasts. Glad they're still going though as I don't wish them any ill will, but the site kinda died for me when Ryan did.

Opposite for me. I didn't start listening until after Vinny moved to NY and I love the combination. Brad is a great host. Jeff is fucking hilarious. Dan while annoying at how little he knows gets a free pass for all his life stories. Jason and Drew are just nice. I feel it's a good mix.

If anything I'd say there tends to be too much wrestling on the bombcast but even that tends to get entertaining even to a non-fan like me.

Also Mario Sunshine is fucking terrible. Jeff is right. Although I do prefer Terminator 2 to 1.

• Upvote 2

It's actually hilarious that people actually think there's animosity between Brad, Dan or anyone else on the team. Brad's posted multiple times that people shouldn't read too much into what's said on their shows but the myth still persists. They're just playing the odd couple roles.

Playing a game as inane as Mario Party 3 would drive anyone insane, I had to just leave it on in the background to get through it but it ended in the best way possible, with Jeff just skipping the ranking screen, taking off his mic and throwing the game onto the floor. His Mixlr of his drive home afterwards was pretty funny too.

post-543-0-51659800-1422800136.gif

Dan's been an excellent addition to the crew, and from listening to all of the extra content (Sphere 'cast, Ryckert Christmas) it's obvious that he's not stupid, he's completely self-aware but he isn't ashamed about the gaps in his knowledge. I'd take that over someone like Rorie who's just an insufferable charisma vacuum. Plus, Dan's really brought the best out in Drew, and the two really play off each other.

Both hires have been excellent, really. Jason doesn't get to do as much on-camera work but he's a really great addition to the podcast and he knows how to work the Tricaster for laughs. Both he and his wife were excellent on the Extra Life streams.

• Upvote 5

Even if the animosity is all a performance, it doesn't make the content any more enjoyable. Passive aggressive attitude can be fun in a sarcastic way some times but eh, I just wasn't really feeling it.

I'm not specifically talking about the MPP3 stream, more in general. It seems to come up every month or so without fail, like the "Yoshi could eat a Peach" bit of the podcast a few months back. People genuinely thought Brad was disgusted in Dan.

Months on and "T. Yoshisaur Koopalingus" remains the most enjoyable thing that Yoshi has ever been involved in.

Is there any decent podcast app for ios that'll let me get the premium bombcast onto the phone without having to fuck around with itunes?

The original group of Ryan, Jeff, Brad & Vinny had a classic sitcom family vibe going on; mum, dad, insular swot child and fun outgoing child. A little later they gained a quirky lodger, played by Patrick Klepic.

Then mum died, the cool kid moved out and they've done the best they can to piece together a new family, but it's hard to get that dynamic back.

Is there any decent podcast app for ios that'll let me get the premium bombcast onto the phone without having to fuck around with itunes?

Downcast: copy the premium RSS link off bomb cast site. Open up Downcast and rather than searching for podcast add the RSS link. Pop in username and pass. Boom!

Downcast: copy the premium RSS link off bomb cast site. Open up Downcast and rather than searching for podcast add the RSS link. Pop in username and pass. Boom!

Thanks. That's perfect

Been answered already but I'll say you can do the same with Pocket Casts (my app of choice, it syncs with Android and Windows) but make sure you use HTTPS when you put the URL in or else you will be broadcasting your username and password.

I do miss Patrick's content though, especially Worth Reading. Would be nice if Alex could carry that torch? Spookin' With Scoops was always fun to watch as well.

Thanks to RLLMUK been listening for about a year and it's great, just a bunch of mates chatting nonsense. Enjoy the core Gaming chats, but think the podcast is at its best when they veer massively off topic and just launch into subjects two-footed (wrestling or lobsters spring to mind). Tempted to go Premium, but not sure how much I'd get chance to watch, more about the listening when commuting or pootling around town.

Dan is a dolt, but his egg whites story was gold.

Thanks to RLLMUK been listening for about a year and it's great, just a bunch of mates chatting nonsense. Enjoy the core Gaming chats, but think the podcast is at its best when they veer massively off topic and just launch into subjects two-footed (wrestling or lobsters spring to mind). Tempted to go Premium, but not sure how much I'd get chance to watch, more about the listening when commuting or pootling around town.

Dan is a dolt, but his egg whites story was gold.

Wait until the next membership sale. You can't go wrong at $35 for a year, even if you only subscribe for the premium podcasts, which will be getting a few more shows added to it over the year if the PAX panel is anything to go by. The first episode of Dan and Danny's advice show is going up today, and there was the Spherecast, Dan and his dad's Christmas, Dan and Danny's family Thanksgiving and the Powerbombcast, which I listen to despite having no interest in wrestling just to hear Jeff complain.

Not to mention, on top of the audio stuff you can use one of the companion apps (Giant Bomb Video Buddy on iOS, for example) to download videos to your phone and play back whenever, or listen to when you're out and about. This is what I do, particularly for the stuff that's more suited to audio, like Bombin' the AM or Jar Time videos.

Actually, even if you never watch any of the content day to day, it's worth $35 just for Metal Gear Scanlon, the Velvet Sundown playthrough and Vinny trying his hardest to play Bot Colony (which has just shut down with only 800-odd copies sold).

• Upvote 2