VN1X

Giant Bomb Fan Club - How Not to Play Sekiro This Friday

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

Retronauts has also gone to shit.

Yeah, they've spread themselves way too thin between this, Simpsons and cartoon podcasts, and the other 4+ podcasts they have on the go.

Having hit series 9 of the Simpsons, they're trying so desperately to say "look, it's a still great." Without being able to see the constant cheapening of the characters in the aid of throwaway jokes that's happening.

• Upvote 1

Ideally just keep it to Bob and Jeremy with a guest that's an expert on a topic. Henry Gilbert never, ever shuts the fuck up to let anyone else talk. He's on shows that are about cartoon games, which is nearly all they are doing now. The other one that's on a lot is Chris Simms. He is just wretched. His voice is as if he thinks everything he is about to say is going to be the funniest thing ever, you can his tone cracking up before he gets the words out. And yet all he talks about is fucking comics.

I subscribed for years on the Patreon until recently. It's just no good.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes. Though I highly recommend just watching all the episodes or at least the previous 4/5 or so. It makes the frustration so much more palpable. The episodes are all really short btw, 10 - 15 minutes. And it's a really funny series.

I watched it all. Brilliant :lol:.

• Upvote 1

On 14/03/2019 at 08:36, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, the east seems like they're genuinely having fun and they come across as a bunch of people I wouldn't mind drinking a beer with.

I knew from the moment they split the team there would be this problem. All the zany, enthusiastic personalities went to the East Coast, whereas the drier, more cynical personalities stayed on the West Coast. The thing is, having one entire team of the former isn't a bad thing, but an entire team of the latter would be deadly under normal circumstances - except it also has Brad, who would rather be anywhere else at this point, and Ben who...well...is Ben. So these are terminal circumstances.

Peak Giant Bomb was when they had the two kinds of personalities regularly playing off each other, which is best seen is some of the older Mario Party videos. I used to watch the 'best of' vids religiously on youtube, now I might click on one if I feel like taking the chance that it's not too west coast focused.

Man, it really annoys me (more than it should) when Giant Bomb blame a game for their own mistakes. Like Vinny going on about how The Division 2 still has really bullet-spongey enemies and how because he and Brad were one level below Jeff they did no damage to the enemy. Firstly, the game scales your damage up to the highest member so that's irrelevant and secondly, I watched that stream and Vinny missed every single shot. He just holds down the fire button and hopes it will hit something. Guess what, guns have recoil. If you don't see a damage number pop off that's not a spongey enemy, that's you missing the fucking thing.

I don't know this for sure but I think they might scale some of the elite enemies health values if you're in a group with more than one person, so when several of your team (Brad is shit at games too) contribute nothing then yeah, it's going to feel like it takes a while.

The game does have super spongey enemies though.

Hell. Even the melee nutters that charge you take at least a full clip to put down

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, dave7g said:

Ideally just keep it to Bob and Jeremy with a guest that's an expert on a topic.

I think this is the core of the problem. They do episode after episode on topics they have no serious attachment to or knowledge of. It drives me nuts. They exhausted all the Nintendo stuff they actually give a shit about years ago.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scissorkicks said:

I think this is the core of the problem. They do episode after episode on topics they have no serious attachment to or knowledge of. It drives me nuts. They exhausted all the Nintendo stuff they actually give a shit about years ago.

After all I said, I checked the newest episode and it was another Disney Afternoon Collection episode where Chris Simms deep dives into Duck comic history.

Dear Jesus!

2 hours ago, scissorkicks said:

That's fine, they'll just revisit old topics again. How about FFVII for 8 episodes? Especially given that they've got *checks notes* absolutely nothing new to say about the game.

48 minutes ago, dave7g said:

After all I said, I checked the newest episode and it was another Disney Afternoon Collection episode where Chris Simms deep dives into Duck comic history.

Dear Jesus!

Good grief, at some point do they somehow bring it to align with current US politics or another Twitter war with Colin Moriarty? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dave7g said:

No idea as I'm never listening to that shit. I'm 42, not hankering to learn more about the origins of Scrooge McDuck at this stage.

What if they got the creator of a Cartoon Network series you didn't know of, or care about, to give their insights? Would you be willing to sign up to the Patreon then? Backers at $20 a month or more get a version of the podcast without 30 minutes of adverts.

They had a great show about the Wonderboy series a while back. In the comments on Patreon I was saying how good it was and well done to all. I also linked the amazing GameSack episode on the same subject which I'm sure most people interested would have loved.

And Jeremy deleted my comment.

Sad bastard.

• Empathy 1

7 hours ago, Flub said:

The game does have super spongey enemies though.

Hell. Even the melee nutters that charge you take at least a full clip to put down

Maybe at end game (I'm only level 21), but they absolutely don't early on and Giant Bomb were levels 3 and 4. It was just Vinny spraying like a mad man and missing everything.

Seriously. Look at this clip.

Not to rag on Vincent but during the Left Alive Quick Look he is running down a corridor filled with enemy markers and it takes him quite a while to realise their are bad guys down there despite it being the most obvious thing ever.

Still funny though.