Formula One - 2015 Season

Jonny5

Meh it's Rosberg's line 100%. He's ahead at every point and Ricciardo only gets in that position from a kamikaze move. Move onto the asphalt or back out of the throttle. It was an unnecessary risk for Rosberg to take but he's got the corner.

Vettel's race-

RNNxLb9.gif

Amazing how changing the first corner at Hungary to make it a bit tighter has helped improved the track so much. Sure there's DRS but I think the change pre-dates it, and/or helps it a bit more.

If only simple changes would be undertaken elsewhere at awful tracks eg turn 1 at Barcelona and also bringing the final bend back as it was until recently.

Was going to bitch about how the cars not liking dirty air is really making the races boring... Then Hülkenberg's front wing falls off and the race resorts to absolute chaos!

I've just read Vettel is only 22 points behind Rosberg! A couple more fortunate swings he could be well in this title race.

Yeah. Although looking at the results throughout the season (in terms of finishing position, if not race times) it was really just a one-off exceptionally bad race for Mercedes rather than a general trend of Ferrari gaining. Vettel was actually on course do have done relatively worse in races 6-10 than he did in the first 5 if he hadn't got the win today to turn it round, whereas Rosberg was set for a better second five until Hungary.

Classic race. Drama to the end, car parts flying everywhere, collisions galore, overtaking round the outside and a new face on the podium - even with a penalty. All without rain. And never seen the cars follow the safety car into the pit lane before, surreal. Great to see Red Bull and Ferrari (and to an extent, McLaren) back in the game again. Poor Kimi :(

Funny thing is that before the new engine regs, Hungary was one of the boring tracks...highlight of the season by miles!

Best thing is, 1st to 6th can be happy with the results in some way. Nice speech to Jules by Vettel as well. Interesting that Horner's muted congratulations to Kyvat... well done... he got his first ever 2nd fucking place!!!

Also as I suggested in previous posts, DRS has allowed drivers to play it safe and wait to pass on DRS. With a narrow track, DRS being all but useless and the torquey new cars, it has forced them all into risky overtakes - and all the consequences that come with it. Fucking love it.

It was still quite noticeable that dirty air screws up the aero entirely of the car behind.

Yeah its allowing them to get closer but the racing would be closer if it weren't for how poorly the cars deal with running behind each other. Tucking in behind another used to allow a driver to close a gap, now they have to wait for a mistake or opportunity via DRS to do anything.

There has to be a way of better blending high technology with a more manual driver input.

Easy targets that no one would miss:

Power steering - kill it.

Any form of launch control system or mode - kill it.

Double clutch - kill it.

Remove tyre sensor data (pressure and temps) for teams but keep deflation data for safety. Then the team need to rely on driver feel and communication. I think Montoya was spot on.

And throw into the mix:

6 compounds to pick from. And an extra set of tyres for the race to mix up strategy.

Remove the fuel limit. Hare vs tortoise becomes a possibility. More tyres fuel use & stops vs Le Professeur.

There has to be a way of better blending high technology with a more manual driver input.

Easy targets that no one would miss:

Power steering - kill it.

Any form of launch control system or mode - kill it.

Double clutch - kill it.

Isn't the launch control going out anyway due to the ban on driver aids? Although i guess you could throw Power steering and Double clutch into that pot

From next race, the driver cannot be given advice on the clutch bite point by radio - they have to work it out themselves.

Mercedes explaining the terrible tyre strategy for Rosberg by saying "the hard tyres were already in the warmers - one lap later (under the full safety car) and he would have got the soft tyres".

Three weeks till Spa - can it deliver another exciting race?

It would be amusing if they enforced an 8 speed H shifter with manual clutch transmission. I bet some of the youngsters haven't ever raced without paddle shift 'boxes!

When did they last have those? I remember David Coulthard ragging a van round a track for some reason not long after he'd retired, and said it was the first time he'd driven something with a manual gearstick in about fifteen years!

Classic race. Drama to the end, car parts flying everywhere, collisions galore, overtaking round the outside and a new face on the podium - even with a penalty. All without rain. And never seen the cars follow the safety car into the pit lane before, surreal. Great to see Red Bull and Ferrari (and to an extent, McLaren) back in the game again. Poor Kimi :(

Funny thing is that before the new engine regs, Hungary was one of the boring tracks...highlight of the season by miles!

Best thing is, 1st to 6th can be happy with the results in some way. Nice speech to Jules by Vettel as well. Interesting that Horner's muted congratulations to Kyvat... well done... he got his first ever 2nd fucking place!!!

For me, I would say that was easily the best race since the second half of the Canada GP that button won from last to 1st after the 2 hour stop in 2011.

I reckon possibly if you enforced 8 speed manual shifters they'd gear them to make one of the lower gears top, rather than using all 8. Shift time would just be too slow to make using 8 optimum.

I guess they might just have the top few gears really close ratios.

Would be silly anyway. :)

Yeah its allowing them to get closer but the racing would be closer if it weren't for how poorly the cars deal with running behind each other. Tucking in behind another used to allow a driver to close a gap, now they have to wait for a mistake or opportunity via DRS to do anything.

exactly, I haven't heard the word slipstream for years - when it was actually an advantage to get behind the car. DRS is a poor artificial compensation for the massive loss of aero, even on the best cars, when behind someone.

So people want refuelling, really against last race double points, don't give a shit if RB quit, slightly more of a shit if Ferrari quit, but not much.

[edit]

Maybe I'm being a little harsh on the Ferrari figures. Not RB though.