Formula One - 2015 Season

Interesting to read articles from Brundle and Coulthard both arguing similar things - wider tyres, cars that (look like they) go faster and more downforce that allows a driver to run closer to the car in front.

I don't really disagree with Coulthard's point but it's the usual "let's make it better" without real concepts of why certain things would be better.

Technology advances. We're used to mobile phones getting lighter, doing more things, having better battery life, more capacity. The 100m world record gets ever lower. Man goes further and longer into space. Yet in F1 the cars are several seconds slower than they were 10 years ago.

Erm, I guess we go further in space and do more but man doesn't. That's an awful example given space travel and F1's approach to things might actually be quite analogous: safety conscious and cost pressured.

Was that a driver error then due to his twitch of the wheel?

The thing with the Indy 500 is they take a month to sort the thing out. "the Glorious Month of May" its called. why they still do it is anyones guess, anyway. They drive around the same four corners for a month and the track evolves week after week. So they were trying out some aero tweeks and the front of the car steps out on him, he caught it but the back then follows and he's a passenger.

Indy is a pretty vicious places, you only have to twitch the wheel and you'll hit the wall hard. Helio is a pretty handy driver, been round the block a few times and certainly knows what he's doing in the car. he's win the 500 3 times and been runner up it the championship numerous times.

That was the car catching him on the apex, not a lot he could have done. They don't normally take off like that though.

Some grade A bullshit right here:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118979

No to a cost cut, possible customer cars. In a word, ARSE.

and isn't HASS effectively a customer of Ferrari !!! who had the FIA rozzers round last week to take a look at the model HASS was using in the Ferrari wind tunnel. Just to make sure it was a HASS model and not, in contradiction to the rules on in season wind tunnel work, a Ferrari model.

And now they're going to allow customer cars .... This is not my surprised face !!

Refueling is back!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32751118

EDIT: DAMN YOU JPR!

Formula 1 bosses have agreed to bring back refuelling in 2017 as part of a range of measures aimed at making the sport more exciting.

There will also be higher revving and louder engines and changes aimed at making cars "five to six seconds a lap faster", governing body the FIA said.

For 2016, bosses have approved a plan to allow teams free choice of the four available tyre compounds for each race.

The changes still need to be approved by two further legislative stages.

The changes were agreed on Thursday at a meeting of the F1 strategy group, which comprises FIA president Jean Todt, commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Red Bull, Williams and Force India teams. The engine manufacturers were also represented at the meeting.

The FIA statement added that a "comprehensive proposal to ensure the sustainability of the sport has emerged".

This, it said, would be refined by the teams in the coming weeks.

The engine rules, which saw the introduction of turbo hybrid engines and a fuel restriction last year, will remain stable.

This is to give clarity for any potential new manufacturers who may be considering entering the sport.

But it is the return of refuelling which will attract the most attention - the practice was last permitted in 2009.

Also as important is free tyre selection in the race in 2016 - I brought this up ages ago but apparently it's not great for cost cutting and the logistics of bringing a shit ton more tyres.

So a bit more variety in strategies e.g. 4 stopping on all options vs 1 stopping on primes, rather than the usual 2/3 stops, with either 2 option stints or 1 prime in variation.

Yeah. I always thought the solution to teams spending half the race in fuel saving mode was an approach along the lines of: work out how much they need to do the whole race at top speed and tell them "that's how much fuel has to be in the car".

It's worth noting that the within the refueling part they're also planning on keeping the maximum cap so this won't remove the need to conserve fuel over the race but it will allow for the cars to be under fuelled at the start of the race and therefore able to go faster. I suspect they are looking for more of the action seen on the last 10 ten laps when the cars are quickest during the first 40-50 laps.

i like refuelling i like it when something can go wrong

id like to see an end to qualifying and go back to the old days of mad scrum at end

different tyre manufacturers

an end to drs and more relaxed rules so they could come up with mad stuff like the 70's six wheel march or mad thing with giant wings front and rear