rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny5

Formula One - 2015 Season

The Red Bull camo livery is a bit of a laugh, as it doesn't really hide much and it's probably making people look harder at the car than they would have anyway. Looks like a neat machine though! As good as it was to see Rosberg sail through buttloads of laps untroubled, I would like the battle up front to feature a few different teams this year.

Apparently the only thing that hampered Mercedes yesterday was that they ran out of tyres to use - they'd have happily done a few more laps if they could. McLaren seem to be struggling at the moment, mind. Hopefully they sort it out soon because it'll be sad if all we see Jenson and Alonso doing in Melbourne is trying to outqualify Saubers and Lotuses.

Does somebody want to set up a new fantasyracers.com league for 2015?

I thought the FIA stopped anyone having any sort of fun with their IP and the fantasyracers site got told to stop it ?

Mine will be running though, sticking it to the man etc

Nissan upstaged all the F1 launches last night, launching their new LMP1 car with a Super Bowl advert. Looking forward to seeing and hearing this race.

I really like it, but it's more the fact here are Nissan using the biggest TV spot to say here's our Le Mans contender. Mercedes didn't even slap a couple of lines of text at the end of their advert to say we're also double F1 world champions.

Not that I expect F1 teams to do similar things but it just feels hard to get so excited about F1 now and looking at the new cars does very little for me. The new Nissan though, I can't wait to hear that being driven in anger, the sound of a good engine is a wonderful thing.

F1 feels like it's on little insular thing in a way, doesn't want to shout about how great it is, unless you're a government with an open chequebook of course. They send cease and desist over bloody fantasy leagues, you can't enjoy it unless we've sanctioned it and then you pay for it, that's F1.

• Upvote 1

I know the times are fairly meaningless at this stage but it is starting to look like the Ferrari really is a major improvement from last year, non? Hopefully they and an also improved looking Williams and Red Bull can make things a bit tougher at the front for Mercedes this year. I dunno though, that silver arrow is looking pretty special, isn't it?

I know the times are fairly meaningless at this stage but it is starting to look like the Ferrari really is a major improvement from last year, non? Hopefully they and an also improved looking Williams and Red Bull can make things a bit tougher at the front for Mercedes this year. I dunno though, that silver arrow is looking pretty special, isn't it?

Imagine how Alonso will feel if the Ferrari is able to compete with the Mercs this year and the Mclaren isn't.

Fun rumour of the day, McLaren buying the remains of Marussia to use as a Honda powered B-Team.

2398122-3635749170-innxo.gif

Although I read it was going to be Ferrari?!

Either way, bring it!

Ferrari were topping the tables in last years tests as well.

I think they'll struggle, but people seem very impressed about the chassis itself - most tech journos are raving at how nicely packaged and contoured it is. The engine will be the limiting factor and after that it's going to depend on which Honda has turned up to play: the 1980's Honda who threw everything they could into their engines to make them winners and drive sales of cars, or the 2000 - 2008 Honda who used F1 as an exercise to cycle their road car engineers through a high pressure programme to gain knowledge that could be applied to their cars and as a result created staff turnover that undermined everything.

The most important thing to look at really at this stage is reliability and reports on how drivers are coping well into long runs through tricky corners. The first three days at Jerez last year were headed by Raikkonen, Button and Magnussen in terms of times...

EDIT: Regarding Marussia potentially being saved, I'd have thought one possibility is Haas F1 might have something to do with it. That way Marussia can continue using the Banbury factory this year whilst using the Ferrari engines that Haas are going to be using in 2016, and at the end of this season staff and knowledge would remain and the team would be rebadged Haas, who have already bought the Banbury factory lease. Basically it'd mean Haas gets to kickstart their F1 campaign this season and gain a whole load of info ready for their 'proper' bow.

Ferrari were topping the tables in last years tests as well.

Yes, I know, and it may well be a red herring this year also, but Kimi is reporting a major improvement in this year's car and the other teams are saying that the lap times are genuinely quite impressive so maybe there is hope we'll see them figure a bit more prominently this year.

I hope so :) - Ferrari being up there is good for the sport, and me - they're always the pantomime villain of the piece :eyebrows:

Word is beginning to trickle out that Renault might be playing catch-up again this season, which will miff Red Bull a bit.

Ferrari being up there is good for the sport, and me - they're always the pantomime villain of the piece :eyebrows:

It's always most delicious when they are in the mix for the championship, and then fall flat on their faces at the final hurdle. :D

Its all about the number of laps ... if you can drive a zillion laps you can fine tune the car, short runs are just fixing problems.

As for McLaren, them's proper fucked. That engine isn't ready and Honda have underestimated how much power they need to drive the KERS systems. they're already moaning about not being allowed to change the engine as much as the other manufactures. I confidently predict McLaren will not get any points this year. They are the new Sauber.

they were even cheering a five lap stint for Teflonso yesterday :lol:

And the engine sounded like a bag of spanners falling down stairs.

Day 4: Kimi, 104 laps and over a second faster than anyone else.

Mercedes will be sand bagging as will Red Bull one suspects, I would imagine that the Ferrari will be targeting the Williams out the door and hoping to develop the car towards Mercedes - hopefully anyway as we will see if young Seb can drive a car thats not the best if motivated...