Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Help me out guys:

Played 80 hours of MH3, then swapped to MH4 and completed 25 hours. So, in MH terms, I have no idea what I'm doing still.

Been fine with Jaggi armour and upgrading the Glaive as I go, but getting massacred by Gore Megala.

What armour should I go for? This is the bit of MH I haven't really explored - by only really getting as far as using Jaggi armour on each game.

What's the next armour I should go for?

Yep.

LR Tetsucabra > HR Tetaucabra

Then you've got to make a choice of either picking another HR armour with more Def before going to G-rank armour, or going straight in.

The best starter G-rank is probably Seregios as it has steady hand (minds eye and razor sharp) constitution +2 and bleed immunity, which is really only useful against Sergio.

The only negative star is slow sharpening, however does have quite a lot of slots (10)

As an upgrade to my Tetsucabra armour I'm trying to get enough shiz for the Moshgari set due to the FastCharge skill. Is it enough of a def upgrade do you think? Seems by best bet for a GS user like myself but can be persuaded otherwise if anyone has suggestions?

Sure, as long as a fireball doesn't hit you!

As you'll be brown bread before you know it.

With the way I previously played MH I usually don't tend to get too attached to HR armours, in terms of making a few sets, as I tend to power level and get to G-rank (or high rank in terms of Portable 3rd/ MH4) as you don't want to waste too much resources since I just go for key quests.

There's a demo if you want to get a feel for it.

Just tried the demo for half an hour, I think it's helped me dodge a purchase I'd regret. Seems to be about button mashing to kill a big lizard whose energy bar never goes down no matter how many times you slash at it, and it's just totally opaque about what you're meant to do and when.

Just tried the demo for half an hour, I think it's helped me dodge a purchase I'd regret. Seems to be about button mashing to kill a big lizard whose energy bar never goes down no matter how many times you slash at it, and it's just totally opaque about what you're meant to do and when.

It's possibly the least button mashy game ever and the monsters do not have energy bars. It's the thinking mans action game, it's as much about when you don't attack as when you do, it's about conquering terrible beasts and wearing their skins as hats.

30 mins is not enough to judge it, I have over 200 hours now on this game and it's still coughing up new content.

Problem 1

Problem 2

The demo didn't explain anything, other than to follow the red arrows to find the monster. There was no instruction manual. How am I meant to know what to do and that there's some deep gameplay underneath? If Capcom don't release an adequate introductory demo, that's not my fault as the player. If I don't like a demo, I'm just not going to buy the full game.

It's just not a game you can get a handle on in 30 mins, you gotta give it time, try out different weapon types, each one is like it's own class in an RPG or a specific fighter in Street Fighter, most are vastly different from the other. I think the demo tells you quite a lot if you patiently read the text.

Finding my weapon in the MH3U demo was the key to me getting it. I can still remember the feeling of finally taking Plesioth down with the Switch Axe that just seemed to naturally fit my style of play.

I do think you have to be into the concept though. If having to learn how to fight monsters through tells, replaying hunts for rare drops and making weapons from your hunts to show off to people doesn't sound like something you're into - regardless of how it actually plays in order to achieve those things - I don't think MonHun really will be.

Whilst if you're into the idea from the get go, the weird nature of play adds a huge amount to the game and makes it feel like MonHun and nothing else.

I spent 50 minutes trying to kill the great jaggi yesterday, and he kept retreating to his cave over and over. It's only just dawned on me that it might have been a different great jaggi every time. Is this right? Do I have to tag him with a paintball or something?

Just StreetPassed a HR107 player :o:o

After only 297 hrs. of play...

What a casual, I'm up to HR140 now. :P

It's not as impressive as it sounds - after you do the Urgent that would take you to HR8 your HR is recalculated based on an experience-ish system, most players will jump to about HR40 or so right away.

Also, if you miss an urgent quest, does that mean you can never improve your HR any more beyond that point?

I don't think you can 'miss' the HR-raising Urgent quests, they're always around until you finish them. I did lose one of the post-G3 Battlequarters Urgent quests after ending it via subquest when I was dazed and Apex Seregios was about to claw me to death for the third time, but I think there's a rotation and it'll eventually come around again.

Well, the HR system is tied to the Gathering Hall quests, and you eventually unlock more Caravan quests as you raise your HR in the Gathering Hall. You don't necessarily have to do the quests in multiplayer though, I think Gathering Hall quests are designed with two players in mind, so soloing them is never impossible. It can be a bit more fraught than the Caravan stuff, but you get used to it! :)

You can raise your HR quite quickly if you focus on doing the quests marked 'Key' here, followed by the Urgent at each rank: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest/guild

You have two levels, so to speak. Caravan, which is 1*, 2* etc. up to 10*. These are the offline story mode quests. And then, HR, which is the Gathering Hall, generally regarded as 'online'. High Rank starts at 7* Caravan, and HR4 Gathering Hall. The two are entirely independent, and it is possible to be at 10* without ever doing a single HR raising quest. However, certain Caravan quests don't even appear until you have hit the required HR, and vice versa. To further complicate things, some of the 6* Urgent quests in Caravan are actually High Rank, unlocking at the point at which you become HR4.

Cleared it up? If not, don't sweat on it too much. Get online, kick ass in a group, and just do whatever quests you can. It's all fun!

Cleared it up? If not, don't sweat on it too much. Get online, kick ass in a group, and just do whatever quests you can. It's all fun!

Thanks. But there's the rub, having a family and a daytime job prevents me to go online. Or only very rarely. Haven't really been online in MH4 at all. Maybe I should make a bit more of an effort though.

Cheers.

But, aren't these the same quests (or at least a lot of them) I already did in the solo campaign?

Yeah, they're likely to be similar, just a bit harder to do on your own. There aren't too many Key quests per rank until G-Rank though, usually about four.

Its the same Jaggi, paintball him and you will see the cave is his shortcut to another area.

Hmm.. I hit the guy a lot. I am still using the sword and shield but have levelled it up a little. Does he really take that many hits to take down? I must have made him slink off to his cave 7-8 times approximately.

Thanks. But there's the rub, having a family and a daytime job prevents me to go online. Or only very rarely. Haven't really been online in MH4 at all. Maybe I should make a bit more of an effort though.

Well, the good news is that Gathering Hall quests done online, despite their additional difficulty, take about 1% of the time to complete that the Caravan equivalents do. And, since you are at 4*, nearly 5*, you can probably solo through all of HR1 and nearly all of 2. The urgent to take you to HR3 might prove a bit much, but there is never a problem finding groups for that fight.