Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!

Keyboard Koala

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh, oh, oh - our first victim.

From Venturebeat:

Elsewhere on your 3DS, controls fight with each other over jobs, and it rarely makes sense. For example, you can’t use an item with your weapon drawn because the Use Item button is also the Attack button. I’m willing to grant in this case that it’s hard to drink a potion with your hands full, but it’s also impossible to run with your weapon out because that’s the Block button. And you can’t harvest plants or animals either — you’ll dodge instead.

So if you’re trying to grab some skins in the middle of a fight because those animals will disappear on you like that time-lapse video of the mouse decomposing, you have to stop, sit through an animation of the sword stowage, get the next animation of the harvesting, and then get through the sword un-stowage, and then hope that nothing has murdered you in all this time.

And that isn’t even the most annoying animation because for some reason, any time your hero drinks a potion or pops some seeds and feels the rejuvenation coursing through them, they will stop for just way too long to strike a muscle pose as if to say, “Yes! I am feeling better now!” But it’s an unnecessary delay that more often than not will give that giant monster plenty of time to run over and return your health to preitem levels.

The whole review is priceless - worth a read!

Is there already a thread for swapping friend codes ready for online? Can't believe I can play online with this for the first time on a portable! Last time I played was on the Wii, attempting to get that voice adaptor thing working!!

No thread yet, but I've added those of you with 3DS codes in your sigs. Add me back, mofos.

The thing with the negative reviews is that a lot of the "problems" would be explained if the reviewer talked to or watched videos made by an experienced player.

Like not having an actual lock-on makes no sense until you understand that hitting specific body parts yields different drops and affects how much damage you do, at which point the idea of having a Z-targeting equivalent would be a huge nuisance.

Of course, stuff like the monsters having no health bars when "my own bars are visible" and saying you can't run and use items with your weapon out is just nonsensical and completely missing what makes MonHun MonHun.

I bought a DL code from Game so I'm hoping they send them out early!

I have no clue about Monster Hunter.

The Eurogamer review has me very interested!

Is this game going to be good on a normal 3DSXL or is it gimped and fucked without the new fangled console?

This shit is never coming out on the Wii U is it?

You might find the camera a bit fiddly if you don't have the Circle pad bolt on, but it's perfectly playable.

In other news my Game order never arrived :( tomorrow I guess :)

I'm playing on a normal 3DSXL and also a total noob, after a couple of missions its just all clicked and the controls haven't been a problem so far, you can use the dpad or the on screen dpad to move the camera as well as having a Zelda style camera center button.
I am loving this.

I have no clue about Monster Hunter.

The Eurogamer review has me very interested!

Is this game going to be good on a normal 3DSXL or is it gimped and fucked without the new fangled console?

This shit is never coming out on the Wii U is it?

After a couple more missions, I've found the old XL control scheme fine, it makes my hands hurt a bit but until there's a proper 2nd stick 3DS (not just the nub) then I can wait (or if I really need one,which I don't yet, a CPP)

The performance (judging from videos on YouTube on a new 3ds) is definitely somewhat worse though.

I'm also finding using 3D in this is absolutely brilliant, makes the world pop that little extra and feel deeper, especially near ledges, it's the first time I've much preferred playing in 3D.

Interested in this after reading the Eurogamer review.

The thing with the negative reviews is that a lot of the "problems" would be explained if the reviewer talked to or watched videos made by an experienced player.

Does the game not do a good job of properly explaining itself, then?

It all depends on what you expect from a game, really. Reviewers tend to be pressed for time, and stick to the somewhat outdated and restricted viewpoint that you have to complete a game in order to have an opinion on it. Which, for a narrative driven game might be true, but for something like Monster Hunter it is literally tying a hand behind the reviewers back. It's a game where experience with the systems absolutely matters in order to glean the most enjoyment from it. Let's take the series signature weapon as an example, the Great Sword.

It is a big weapon. Big, heavy, and cumbersome. It can do immense damage, but this comes at the cost of having to learn how best to wield it. So, when you press X to swing it, what actually happens is that pressing the button merely initiates the swing. The swing doesn't turn into a hit until 2 seconds later, by which point the monster has often moved. Importantly, there is no way to cancel out of the swing once you start, pressing X is committing to the attack. Add in a second or so of recovery, and you can quickly imagine the frustration building for somebody who doesn't actually care too much about becoming a Great Sword master, they just want to get far enough in to the title to write their few-hundred words. They feel that the game is hindering their progression, when the real truth is that the monster they just wasted 45 minutes on losing to can be toppled by someone who invested time in learning the weapon inside 5 minutes.

This is what is meant above by the whole "Greatest hits" nature of the complaints. They are playing the game as if it is a hack-and-slash, which is absolutely contrary to the way it is designed to be played. Whereas the novice feels that the game is working against them, everything in it is balanced to reward knowledge and experience. Monsters can often have utterly devastating attacks that will one-hit KO an unprepared hunter, but they telegraph these moves for several seconds beforehand. When Rathian suddenly has flames appearing in her mouth, you shouldn't be surprised that she spits fireballs at you. It would probably be wiser to get behind her than it would to mash X in the hopes of hitting her out of the attack. Although, that is entirely possible as well, once you learn the appropriate tells and hit zones. Hit zones that, for the most part, are in multiple parts of the body, which negates the need for a lock-on. Why would you want to target the middle of the beast when you need to be breaking it's tail/wings/horn?

This is also why the animations last as long as they do. It is to make you THINK before doing anything. (Do you really need to be harvesting herbs when a 40-foot bastard is trying to feast on your face?) Every single act you take is a measure of risk, and something as simple as sharpening your weapon in order to inflict more damage becomes a matter of balancing the need to do it against the likelihood of taking a big hit for doing so. Eventually, you learn to dodge the powerful hits, and use the (never mentioned by any of these newbie reviewers) recovery animations of the monsters themselves as your chance to recover your health.

Sounds like a portable Dark Souls. I'm sold. Cheers :)

It definitely has Soulsy elements, that's what got me in, although I was and continue to be completely amazed at the sheer volume of content there is in these games beyond just fighting big beasties.

Also I've just started and if there's a better running animation in gaming than the speed-waddle you do in MonHun when holding something big like a cannonball like in the intro to this then I haven't seen it.

Also also, I got a real wee tingle of excitement when I saw the friends list in-game and how easy it should be to play together! This was tempered by nobody being on so I'm adding everyone in this thread with a code in their sig now. I'm 1349-4492-7603

My god I'm so lost in this, in several ways!

Managed to join a room for online quests but no one spoke (well typed) and when I entered the mission no one else came along ... I'm sure I'm just being a noob

It's 1:20, I don't want to sleep and want to keep playing, I am 42 years old.