IGNORED

Game Gear Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

16 hours ago, gunrock said:

@MikeBeaver so if you're a non-professional soldering iron wielder, but maybe have done a couple of three wire modchips here and there: is it doable?

My soldering skills are comparable to those of a six year old, if I can do it, anyone can :)

My iron is a cheap nasty thing bought for the purpose of changing out batteries in GB / GBA carts, doing tthis is fiddly for sure, but just need to take your time and get it all figured out.

I kept connecting and disconnecting the power board each time I swapped a cap on the main board and you could see the progress as I went along :)

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I pretty much cleaned my local used game shop out of Game Gear stuff today.  Left a few incomprehensible-looking ones and some doubles and ones I already had.  Going to have a marathon GG session tomorrow.  Will put a picture up here.

how is that store still open?

The advice from the prefectural govenor here is just not to go to Tokyo.  All shops are open, and people are still going to work on packed rush hour trains.  I'm lucky I can cycle to work.  Having been off for all of March, children are back in school in April - 2nd of April at my school. Restaurants etc are still open, although many are not doing buffets at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my recent purchases

Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat 2

Aleste and Aleste 2 - Aleste 2 was released as Power Strike 2 in Europe.

Gambare Gorby - released as Factory Panic in the west, but not starring Gorbachev

GP Rider

The Berlin Wall

Panzer Dragoon Mini (not very good, but a rare item)

Smash TV

Bare Knuckle 2 (SoR 2)

Magical Tarurutkun (slow but fun shooter)

Aerial Assault

Space Harrier

Galaga 91

Unboxed - Shinobi 2, Ninja Gaiden

DED5999D-928C-4643-A38D-9C3959A0C017.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

Here are my recent purchases

Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat 2

Aleste and Aleste 2 - Aleste 2 was released as Power Strike 2 in Europe.

Gambare Gorby - released as Factory Panic in the west, but not starring Gorbachev

GP Rider

The Berlin Wall

Panzer Dragoon Mini (not very good, but a rare item)

Smash TV

Bare Knuckle 2 (SoR 2)

Magical Tarurutkun (slow but fun shooter)

Aerial Assault

Space Harrier

Galaga 91

Unboxed - Shinobi 2, Ninja Gaiden

DED5999D-928C-4643-A38D-9C3959A0C017.jpeg

beautiful

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Question: is not reading carts a sign of needing a full recap?

No. Have you cleaned the contacts properly with something like isoprpryl? You could have a crack at the ones inside the slot, think I used a pen lid taped to a cotton bud when I did mine.

Done my carts with IPA. It’s an odd one. 

if I turn the power off and on a few times eventually it’ll boot fine which makes me think it’s not a contact issue. Oh well I’ve ordered some caps anyway so expect some pictures in one of the retro repair threads soon!

57 minutes ago, sega_kid said:

Interesting, look forward to seeing. Your thoughts when it arrives 

It’s turned up today but you obviously need to put it into an empty cartridge otherwise the board won’t stay connected to the console and I’ve misplaced my game bit screw driver so I’ve had to order a new one. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I fitted a cleanpowerGG board from retrosix. The main attraction for me was that the power jack on mine was loose which I failed at fixing leaving me with only batteries for an option. 

eesh! 

anyhoo, 2 day delivery and 2 minute install time. It runs sweetly off a usb power pack so that’s game gearing on the go sorted. 

I recommend it heartily. 

• 1 year later...

Yes! 8-bit Koshiro is some of the best Koshiro too.

I'm exploring the Game Gear library for the first time really (via a New 3DS, sorry purists :() and even though I knew it was basically a Master System, and even though I knew the MS was home to some impressive-looking Disney titles, I was utterly dazzled by a random dip into Deep Duck Trouble earlier. Holy shit. This must have been stunning in 1993, assuming you could see it.