IGNORED

Whiplash - a film about drumming

smithstock

It's not the same thing though is it? Psycho would glorify murder if it allowed Bates to get away with it. It doesn't - the bad guys lose, the pathological behaviour is curtailed.

In Whiplash, the ending redeems the bully - "he was right all along, because without him spurring on his students, the protagonist would never have unleashed his inner genius" or whatever. The message is clearly "put up with bullies, because you need to get to breaking point to excel". I'd have had no problem with it if the protagonist had excelled on his own, through his own effort, if Tenner had just disappeared once his role was spent.

But it's the fact he returns to the bully that I find disturbing.

It's all about latent homosexuality anyways.

It's clearly about Vince's brass rings. J.K Simmons' is the grotesque Vinny Mac, putting pressure on CM Punk (Miles Teller) to achieve greatness. Punk is desperate to wrestle, so he works through various injuries (and crawls to a Smackdown house show after being in a car crash).

I think people have read far too much into Whiplash.

Anyway, thought it was absolutely stunning. I went into this with a dislike of Miles Teller and jazz. By the end I was absolutely gobsmacked by them both. Great acting all round and a story that rose to an absolutely stellar crescendo.

• 3 months later...

I read here that there is another thread for this movie? Sorry to post here in that case, but I couldn't find the other thread.

Saw the Blu-ray version over the weekend.

Very gripping and with amazing performances. Loved the music!

The last act made me uncomfortable, ref to him going back to the teacher despite the bullying - but - I thought the film was better and more believable for it.

If you have real talent for/addiction to a pastime, then perhaps you can't just give it up? Either that or the film really is just one big gay love story.

But it's the fact he returns to the bully that I find disturbing.

It's a really simple plot really well executed and the characters are total caricatures(the cymbal story itself epitomises this as its a total exaggeration of what happened in reality), whether you agree with their choices, that's just points for discussion, the fact you care so much is testament to how well the film is executed.

You can't criticise a film for making you care.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, does having scarred hands make you a better drummer? I don't know a lot about drumming, but I know that bleeding hands and scars would make you a worse player of just about every single classical instrument.

Well Bryan Adams played his guitar until his fingers bled when he first got it and he seems to be doing alright out of it.

Have watched Whiplash over the space of a couple of weeks, while doing my ironing and I'm just not feeling it. I think I'm going to rewatch it in one go, when I can give it my full attention.

Nice to see Vern Schillinger (that's SchillinGer) got work when he got out of prison...

Have watched Whiplash over the space of a couple of weeks, while doing my ironing and I'm just not feeling it. I think I'm going to rewatch it in one go, when I can give it my full attention.

Absolutely you have to do it this way. Sod the ironing. It can wait for 1 hour 50 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

How did he not conform to it? The psychopath wanted him to grow through self-abuse, and that's what he "did". I don't think Charlie Parker, or Louis Armstrong, or anyone that's great at art got there by abusing themselves. There is no joy in his drumming, he doesn't play because he has to, but because he "wants to be great". That's bs, and it's a dangerous modern trope that costs lives. Psychopathic bullies aren't the gateway to greatness, they're just bullies.

I usually despise most of your posts, AND I love this film. But that's really hard to argue with.

Late to the thread here, but this wonderful comment really made me laugh - a masterpiece in the complete absence of understanding. 'If you knew anything about jazz'... lol. People don't learn jazz, man... it just comes from here - * points and makes jazz hand movements*. Absolute cobblers.

This was a wonderful film, obviously. It doesn't 'glorify' bullying in anyway - the teacher's portrayed as manipulative, abusive, lying, self-obsessed arsehole. And, obviously, the pupil is driven; that's not to say he doesn't have any feeling for the music - it's self-evident that he does - but to say his 'soul' isn't in it speaks volumes of the commentator naive enough to think that artists aren't themselves obsessed, compulsive arseholes. Or, at least, the successful ones. It's to the film's (and the actors') great credit that Whiplash balances the story and performances on that high-wire line between the overlapping emotional territories of sympathy, admiration, and revulsion, and doesn't revert to a compete goodie/baddie monochromatic morality tale. One of the best themes is the student's rejection of his evidently caring father, who can't give him what he needs. That isn't a condemnation of people who care, it's an observation that when someone is driven by something, they need more than anything else for that drive to be recognised and fuelled. The lad's ego craves feeding - and what's performance for if it's not for that?

This is a proper adult film, and I'm so glad is eschewed the 'baddy gets his comeuppance and victim lived happily ever after' trope. It might not be a 100% accurate depiction of What It's Like To Be A Jazz Drummer, but it gets the pro musician ego / competitiveness stuff bang on. And yeah, cliché though it is, self-abuse and self-torment are often very much part of what a driven artist is. Else why'd you do that shit instead of having a comfy life? And, more importantly, how?

Great film. And fuck Mozart :lol:

Also hard to argue with. This is why I keep coming back to Rllmuk

Just out of interest do you watch a lot of films like this? I just can't imagine the idea of "need to do some ironing, might put 1/8th of a film I've never seen on.

Whiplash is sublime,

I think the point of the film is that Teller goes back as a big fuck you to Simmons. Coming out of the cinema I kind of agreed with shesaid's point but I think it's down to how you read it. Teller isn't necessarily that likeable, the whole family at dinner scene tells us that. It doesn't glorify anything if the main character isn't someone we're necessarily supposed to relate to. It's not a case of heroes and villains in Whiplash, it's shades of grey.

It's just showing the lengths people go to to try and achieve what they think is "greatness". For me Teller's there to show Simmons he can do it, not as a "hey man, look, thanks for all the hard graft you made me put in, let's put a helluva show on together!"

Either way, the film is incredible, a real highlight of the last few years of cinema for me.

Just out of interest do you watch a lot of films like this? I just can't imagine the idea of "need to do some ironing, might put 1/8th of a film I've never seen on.

Yep, anything I want to watch that my missus doesn't ends up getting watched in chunks. Like recently I watched American Sniper over the space of two nights while my missus watched America's Next Great British Strictly Allotment Sewing Baker Model Factor. I've even bought wireless headphones, so I can be doing stuff like ironing and still hear the film, without waking up the kids.

Yep, anything I want to watch that my missus doesn't ends up getting watched in chunks. Like recently I watched American Sniper over the space of two nights while my missus watched America's Next Great British Strictly Allotment Sewing Baker Model Factor. I've even bought wireless headphones, so I can be doing stuff like ironing and still hear the film, without waking up the kids.

She made the right viewing choice.