smithstock

Whiplash - a film about drumming

Yep, anything I want to watch that my missus doesn't ends up getting watched in chunks. Like recently I watched American Sniper over the space of two nights while my missus watched America's Next Great British Strictly Allotment Sewing Baker Model Factor. I've even bought wireless headphones, so I can be doing stuff like ironing and still hear the film, without waking up the kids.

She made the right viewing choice.

I finally got around to watching this tonight and I regret not getting to see it in the cinema. It is just utterly gripping.

Also I can't believe that shesaid said that top musicians and athletes don't bleed to be the best, they pretty much have to have that kind of a mindset to get to that level and push themselves to their peak. It's like that time Nadal got a cramp during a press conference and just shrugged it off afterwards, it's just part of the training. The difference is that the rivalry and drive was manufactured (in part at least) by JK Simmons.

• Upvote 1

Saw this a while back and it just blew me away. It's not perfect, but I really struggled to think what the last film was that I thought was this good/gripped me as much.

I'm no film critic/expert, but this should have won instead of Birdman, IMO (although Birdman was masterfully shot).

Yep, anything I want to watch that my missus doesn't ends up getting watched in chunks. Like recently I watched American Sniper over the space of two nights while my missus watched America's Next Great British Strictly Allotment Sewing Baker Model Factor. I've even bought wireless headphones, so I can be doing stuff like ironing and still hear the film, without waking up the kids.

American Sniper and ironing truly sounds like an awful time.
  • Upvote 2

Another late to the party here. This was amazing. I only intended to watch some over lunch. Ended up riveted to my chair for the whole thing. Having had a small glimpse of top level athletics, a lot of the sentiment of commitment and doing anything to succeed was the same there. I realised that I didn't have have the drive on several occasions but the biggest was when I trained with Danny Caines when I went to uni in 1998. He was just the most dedicated athlete I had ever seen. At that time his whole drive was to beat loughborough in the Uni games in the 4x400. In 2000 he competed in the Olympics and went on to win the world indoor championships. Sometimes people need to go to extremes to achieve excellence and the film depicts the turning moments well. Athletics was never as dramatic as this film but the a lot of the sentiment was the same.

• Upvote 1

Saw this a while back and it just blew me away. It's not perfect, but I really struggled to think what the last film was that I thought was this good/gripped me as much.

I'm no film critic/expert, but this should have won instead of Birdman, IMO (although Birdman was masterfully shot).

It didn't win because it's such as simple story, sure it's executed fantastically well but Birdman and Boyhood are also executed fantastically well but they do a lot more with it and provoke other thoughts and ideas.

Don't get me wrong I love Whiplash and I recommend it to people all the time because I think it's very easy to enjoy and isn't too taxing on the viewer but it starts with a guy drumming and ends with a guy drumming and there's some shouting, great music, and pursuit of goals in the middle.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

I watched this last weekend and thought it was fantastic. I've been thinking about it all week and have played Caravan everyday on the way to work. How much of the drumming did the actor playing Andrew actually do himself? I'd be interested to see how it was filmed.

• Upvote 1

All of it. He's already a rock drummer I think, and trained to do this style.

That's seriously impressive, especially seeing as he acted the part so well as well.

I've been reading the Wiki entry on the film and its director. This excerpt is quite remarkable:

The film was shot in 19 days, with a schedule of 14 hours of filming per day. Chazelle [the director] was involved in a serious car accident in the third week of shooting and was hospitalized with a diagnosis of possible concussion, but he returned to filming the next day to finish the film in time

Considering that something very much like this actually happens in the film, it's quite poetic that it should happen to the director, who himself was something of a fanatic, by the sounds of it. I wonder how much of the film is biographic.

All of it. He's already a rock drummer I think, and trained to do this style.

He's self taught too which just makes it even more impressive.

It's sped up at times apparently (fairly obvious I guess) but I neither noticed nor cared!

He's self taught too which just makes it even more impressive.

It's sped up at times apparently (fairly obvious I guess) but I neither noticed nor cared!

The longer solos were also ( spoilered so as not to ruin movie magic)

Shot over several days in some cases, broken down into smaller sections and then edited together to create one scene

. Regardless, it was a hell of a performance from Teller.

Only watched this for the first time last night and have read through the thread since. Can only repeat what others have said really, an incredible film with perfect pace, and characterization. A simple story expertly told.

As a huge jazz nut I also think it speaks to something that really does drive the best of the best musicians, even to the point where it ruins their lives. I remember seeing Alice Coltrane talking about John Coltrane and how he would spend the hours leading up a to a gig practicing in his dressing room, then play his guts out for two hours, then go home and continue practicing until he fell asleep on the couch with his sax still in his mouth. That his lips would bleed from playing so much. The amazing thing about this is that he wasn't doing this when he was 20, just starting out, this was in the last years of his life when he was already considered the greatest saxophonist alive. Nothing was ever enough for him.

I also suspected that while the film made many references to Buddy Rich one of the inspirations might have been Art Blakey's version of Caravan from the early sixties, it seemed structurally similar to the version at the end of the film. Even if it wasn't it's worth listening to it with a new appreciation of just how difficult it is to drum like that!

• Upvote 7

Caught this on Sky recently. Absolutely mesmerising and ends at exactly the right moment. What a fantastic piece of film making.

and yes, also the reason I want to see La La Land which I never would have considered otherwise.

YouTube music theory video maker Adam Neely talks about the details the movie got right and wrong.

He acknowledges that it's "effectively the jazz equivalent of Neil DeGrasse Tyson complaining about every science fiction movie ever". But it is entertaining and informative (and he did like the movie)!

• Upvote 2