IGNORED

Whiplash - a film about drumming

smithstock

So this lives up to the hype. Simmons is amazing, as is Teller. Its got a real human feel throughout, wonderfully told and God damn does it fucking flow. Watching it again tonight, such a good bloody film.

Its rare something matches all the praise around it (Foxcatcher, whilst I seem to be one of the few who really enjoyed it, fell short) but I want this to sweep the board at the Oscars.

Just finished watching it. I was pretty much blown away. The first hour was good, but then it gets brilliant. Completely thwarts expectations for a music based underdog story. Just to echo the above, Simmons is brilliant and really must get ALL the awards.

• 2 weeks later...

After a last minute change of going to see American Sniper, we changed to see a film called "Whiplash", based on its higher percentage of positive reviews (and I am a big Eastwood fan, so it had to be something good!)

Well worth it, a great little film. I won't post a trailer here, as there are quite a few spoilers in it. If you get a chance to see it, be it at the cinema, on DVD/Blu-ray or VOD, take the chance and watch it. Go in fresh and un-spoilered and you will enjoy it even more!

I will only say its NOT a heavy metal based theme for those that believe it was a Metallica reference!

WHIPLASH+onesheet.jpg

Right, that was just fucking awesome. I brought my sister, who studied jazz herself and she said it brought up bad memories, although she said her experiences weren't as intense!

I've noticed a few people be a bit sniffy about it in regards to how it doesn't represent Jazz that well. I suppose I've done the same with films that have bits where characters are 'using a game controller wrongly'. Reminds me a bit of Black Swan, where I noticed people criticizing the ballet. I'd be curious to what they get wrong about Jazz?

If that's the case then 95% of surgeons have it. I know a guy that dumped his 7 year girlfriend by text as he wants to be the best surgeon in Ireland.

If that's the case then 95% of surgeons have it. I know a guy that dumped his 7 year girlfriend by text as he wants to be the best surgeon in Ireland.

Quite possibly, I know one and he has.

I also worked with a chap that, although "officially" he didn't have it, he certainly had something with aspects of it. Made my life a total misery in the end, and I got another job and left. I ended up blaming both him and my manager for putting up with his bullshit. Whatever you have, treating and talking to people like pieces of shit on your shoe doesn't wash with me I'm afraid!