IGNORED

Frank Zappa!

Thread Owner

He's really great isn't he?

I never liked the comedy stuff, but going back and listening to Hot Rats, it's amazing, and so much of an influence on Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of The Mars Volta, which is obviously a good thing.

I even forgive him for Steve Vai.

Would love more Zappa stories!

I too can barely tolerate the comedy stuff, or the really early stuff but the mid period 70s Chester Thompson, George a Duke, Ruth Underwood output is all excellent.

One size Fits All, Roxy and Elsewhere, Apostrophe and Overnite Sensation are all outstanding.

Zoot Allures and Black Napkins are sublime, but the production is terrible on most of the album and The Torture Never Stops veers too close to unlistenable embarrassment for my liking. It does see the introduction of wunderkind Terry Bozzio. Try Live in New York next if you like Zoot Allures.

This one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zappa-Original-recording-remastered-Frank/dp/B00FZ0GQTY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421694950&sr=8-2&keywords=zappa+live+in+new+york

Or the album Lather.

Basically in the late 70s Zappa wanted to release a triple vinyl album called Lather, but Warners balked. So he split the content into 4 albums, Live in New York, Sleep Dirt, Studio Tan and Orchestral Favourites.

Lather is a mix of all of those.

I just find all of his Synclavier stuff to sound horrendously dated now, though hearing the Ensemble Moderne play G Spot Tornado live is something, pick up the Yellow Shark for this.

Watermelon In Easter Hay is, like Zoot Allures, one of his keystone guitar works now.

One of the few tracks post Zoot Allures where the guitar solo wasn't added 'xenochronously' whereby the guitar solo is flown in from a completely different track. In fact in the liner notes to Rubber Shirt from Sheik Yerbouti the bass and drum tracks are constructed this way from different performances of different songs by completely different groups.

There's certainly some depth to the catalogue that's for sure!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw The Grandmothers last year in my little city. I actually thought it sounded like the name for a cover band, but imagine how much I lost my shit when in the little pub I went to it turned out to be the surviving members of The Mothers.

• 4 years later...

When you listen to him playing guitar at times, especially on the studio albums, it can sound like he is just noodling away, and then at some point, like this track at the 6:30 mark, the brass section kicks and they compliment each other note for note...you realise that it is exactly how he has written it and had it in his head as a composition. 

A genius

• 8 months later...

Yeah, it's a good watch and I saw lots of stuff I'd never seen before. He was an absolute arsehole to his wife though and would get on his high horse about his band not taking drugs, but would happily bang his way through groupies and come back and give his wife the clap.