rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Do 71

Forza Motorsport 6

I'm in the Forza thread, I only own a Bone, I have no interest in real simulators or real simulator users. I love my Forza games, the sole reason I still game. I stand by my original statement as an xbox gamer. If someone responds to my posts with "what utter rubbish", then tears me a hole over something I didn't say then I'm justified in telling them to do one.

Back on topic this game is brilliant no matter what the simulator/ real driving games players say.

Fair point, but you were the one who dragged other sims into it in the first place with your original statement. You can't really get mad if other people counter that point.

Furthermore, you took the first shot at Sharky from a personal perspective as far as I can see.

But I'll leave it there unless you wish to respond, you're right, this is the Forza thread, back on topic.

• Upvote 1

Nah it was a drive by from Sharky because PCars is getting less love, he sold his Bone now regrets it. End of. I hope you both join us for some night racing and you'll see where I was coming from.

To be fair I don't need to, I already think it's excellent and intimidating. Just wanted them to take the further step and make it dynamic.

There's always Forza 7 though.

Cheers.

Also, silly question, but am I required to win? I'm doing these career races and have the various difficult options such that I'm generally on the podium. It doesn't seem bothered if I don't win, though.

No, third place or above guarantees progression to the next race in the series.

I'm finding this quite a bit tougher than I remember earlier Forza games (SP only). This could be some or all of:

• driving skills deteriorating with age or after more tolerant games such as FH2
  • erratic behaviour of drivatars - I would always fancy myself against old fashioned processional AI, but this is much more tricky
  • 24 cars on track - hugely difficult getting through the pack and then problems with lapping on the smaller circuits
  • night and rainy conditions make even the most familiar courses a little strange (Laguna Seca though :wub: )

I'm usually rolling in at 4 or 5 with the drivatars at the inexperienced level (I refuse to go to the lowest level).

I still find it a relaxing and rewarding experience and a good excuse to dig out music I don't otherwise get to play.

No, third place or above guarantees progression to the next race in the series.

I'm finding this quite a bit tougher than I remember earlier Forza games (SP only). This could be some or all of:

• driving skills deteriorating with age or after more tolerant games such as FH2
  • erratic behaviour of drivatars - I would always fancy myself against old fashioned processional AI, but this is much more tricky
  • 24 cars on track - hugely difficult getting through the pack and then problems with lapping on the smaller circuits
  • night and rainy conditions make even the most familiar courses a little strange (Laguna Seca though :wub: )

I'm usually rolling in at 4 or 5 with the drivatars at the inexperienced level (I refuse to go to the lowest level).

I still find it a relaxing and rewarding experience and a good excuse to dig out music I don't otherwise get to play.

Me too with the above but enjoying it immensely. The drivatar tech makes it a real challenge at times and you really have to fight for position.

Absolutely loving having a 24 car grid on Forza it's what the game has needed to bring it alive IMHO and put the icing on a very nice cake.... Best Forza ever.

To be fair I don't need to, I already think it's excellent and intimidating. Just wanted them to take the further step and make it dynamic.

There's always Forza 7 though.

They'll probably have to keep the 24 car grid now, so properly dynamic weather with this level of simulation and 60fps might have to wait till the next Xbox.

(Or GT7, though I much prefer the triggers on the Xbox and, bizarrely given forza's presentation ("Richard Hammond - Automotive Journalist"), have always found GT too po-faced).

They'll probably have to keep the 24 car grid now, so properly dynamic weather with this level of simulation and 60fps might have to wait till the next Xbox.

(Or GT7, though I much prefer the triggers on the Xbox and, bizarrely given forza's presentation ("Richard Hammond - Automotive Journalist"), have always found GT too po-faced).

They went from 8 player racing with FM3 to 16 with FM4 after they said they'd hit the limit of what they could achieve with 360 so I'd imagine it's possible. I don't think machine spec is especially the issue here, it's that Forza's engine tech is based on prebaked lighting and effects - not something that's compatible with changable conditions. It will require a different approach - the question is whether you can do that in 2 years in a way that doesn't detract from the vision of 60fps.

It is, of course, entirely possible they've been working on it for years in the background. Let's not forget the engine powering FM6 was first used in FM3 - they may have done a bloody good job of iterating the thing but every engine has its day eventually.

Nah it was a drive by from Sharky because PCars is getting less love, he sold his Bone now regrets it. End of. I hope you both join us for some night racing and you'll see where I was coming from.

It's a good job you're here to tell me what I'm thinking! I'd never know otherwise.

• Upvote 3

quick trip about spa in the lotus F1, beating grosjeans time. got about 147 in the leaderboard and 87 in europe. tis a twitchy car and the handling takes some getting used to.

also there's something off with the replays. and the gear crunching when using manual w/clutch in cockpit cam

• Upvote 4

Nice, I only managed something in the 700s. Might need to adjust the steering as you only need to breath and the car crosses the width of the track.

Does anyone else's Xbox One chug a bit on the menus with this? I found in the intro the stills they put up on the loading screens seemed to lag. I hope it's just the game and my Xbox isn't going to die.

This is a great way to start the game, though:

mon_sep_21_17-24-46_u7jjoy.png

• Upvote 1

^^ Or would be if it didn't force automatic braking on.

DC did that right by allowing you to define the rate at which time elapses

Just for the record, Project Cars does this too.

Compared to Forza 4 the game is a lot more forgiving of corner cutting. It doesn't really matter in TT mode where it will invalidate your time but you can go straight over the chicane at Turn 8 at the Le Mans Ducatti Day track without suffering much of a penalty

I wasn't going to get this for a while, as I felt I still had a lot of Horizon 2 to get through, particulary on Storm Island, but I've abandoned that due to a shit race you have to win to get past (some undrivable S1 vehicle on a mud track in the pissing rain, where there's a hairs breadth between not accelerating hard enough to keep up with the lead vehicle and constant wheel spin. The difficulty factor has been ramped up massively compared to every other race I've done so far, and it's just constant frustration and no fun at all. A real game breaker for me), so I guess I'll be buying this tonight instead!

Really enjoying this, but why are my tyres made out of a mix of Teflon and wood?

You are either doing one of the following:

1. Not warming up your tyres gradually
  2. Overheating your tyres by going way too fast or from too much wheelspin

I know I'm stating the obvious, but you should not abuse the tyres. Take it easier.

I believe also all default setups have a PSI of 30, which is just so wrong on some cars. Worth playing around with that to find peak grip without overheating your tyres as a consequence.

• Upvote 1

I guessed somebody would be captain obvious. Something just feels off, especially after playing a lot of pCars recently. The only real noticeable difference in F6 after letting your tyres warm is reduced braking differences, during cornering its waaay to easy to lose grip, even whilst being super careful.

Another annoyance is things like TC/ABS etc.. Being all or nothing affairs. In real life I imagine my current weapon of choice (458sp) is faster round a track with its gubbins enabled than with everything off. Why can't they simulate that?

• Upvote 1

I guessed somebody would be captain obvious. Something just feels off, especially after playing a lot of pCars recently. The only real noticeable difference in F6 after letting your tyres warm is reduced braking differences, during cornering its waaay to easy to lose grip, even whilst being super careful.

Another annoyance is things like TC/ABS etc.. Being all or nothing affairs. In real life I imagine my current weapon of choice (458sp) is faster round a track with its gubbins enabled than with everything off. Why can't they simulate that?

I would disagree with that, cars are definitely more grippy after warming the tyres on Forza, very noticable in night conditions. It will vary from car to car though - again, PSI's important, weight's important, etc etc
re: TCS, very much not true. Forza 6 is finally the first Forza game that actually simulates TCS properly (only took 10 years Turn 10, keep reaching for the moon and falling woefully short :/). Binning the traction control doesn't actually make the car faster, it just allows the wheels to spin more freely. TCS will apply brakes to keep the wheels from sliding or spinning and that can happen long before the car is actually out of control. With the proper skill on a high speed corner a driver may be able to steer the car through the corner without traction control. Thus eliminating the brake and allow the car to maintain the higher speed. But with TCS on and you're accelerating through peak grip, the TCS is liable to engage going into and coming out of the apex, costing you buckets of speed every time.
Previous Forzas just didn't give a fuck about how this impacted on a speed basis and as such any loss of speed from TCS was negilgable providing a clear advantage at the higher level of car. At the lower level, no difference whatsoever which is completely wrong.
GT has done it correctly for years, although maintains insane car wobble under braking for some reason. Forza's probably a bit too lenient on that side of things but makes it a lot better as a game, especially if a pad is your only option.
  • Upvote 1

I believe also all default setups have a PSI of 30, which is just so wrong on some cars. Worth playing around with that to find peak grip without overheating your tyres as a consequence.

Yeah I've just realised I've been ballsing this up and setting the default to 32ish but that's a cold figure. I guess I'll be making some progress tonight then!

• Upvote 1

Ah, that's why I see TCS light up in corners.

I'm going to have to lookup better tyre pressures for the cars I use, I never see mine overheat irrespective of how much I thrash them, which probably means they're well flat.

To me this game has core physics issues.

You know (in other sims - and in real life) when cars will oversteer - and under what conditions and here its not correct in many cars.

The NSX Forza tune is awful - even in a low gear with low speed and minimal power the rears tyres don't handle right at all.

Its not just slip feedback (which is barely there) but the cars oversteer incorrectly.

Cars should loose grip at low speeds - Harns try the FT NSX at Prague - the two sharp 2nd gear right handers going into the church tunnel. You can nail the first but the second is terrible. Its not the wheel.

Tyre and brake pressure need some work to bring it down. But that NSX is meant to be properly tuned.

You get the same issue coming down the twist hills - certain areas off the gas where the car will just loose it. Sorry - that isn't right.

And i don't believe the 458 or Caterham handle like this. Just mad oversteer - on power, off it, etc. Thats wrong - i honestly think the games broken with a wheel and has broken tyre physics, short of a tune.

But the core physics should really be right IMO - esp. the 458 as it was a showcase car eons ago.

Certain others are not so bad - but as these are tunes or base cars they should be much better. Same with the exige - i don't believe the cars in real life handle like this. These are known for handling but you can't countersteer without aids as you can't really feel them going unless you ramp up the game's FFB to stupid levels (a more realistic value in forza is about 50-60. But you just can't feel the car go).

I've driven an Exige at Silverstone and didn't spin out ever. The car has way more grip.

The Z4i - i drive the original Mk1 Z4 a lot (in sport mode) - again, really hard to maintain grip levels and thats another nice car. Go figure.

And the Brabham had LOADS of grip. The game represents brute force speed really well but the abilty of cars to turn isn't right. I hear everyone asking how people could drive these cars in real life?

Hmmm.

Its like they've listened to fools going on about sim's should be about driving on ice. Cars don't drive like that. Exhibiting slippage is one thing, but not uncontrollable oversteer.

Leanring mad cars is one thing - I love doing that. Hell i always go on about doing it.

But not like this. Its way mode controlled in other sims. Its a real shame.

• Upvote 2

Bang! There it is.

Wheel users - reduce the PSI on the FT NSX by 2psi. Then drive it.

• Upvote 1

This may have been F5 too but

Is it me or is sharing of vinyl groups no longer a thing?

The whole gifting of vinyls, liveries, tunes and cars has been ditched after FM4. You can now lift them from your friends and their drivatars when you select their names in the leaderboards or online lobbies.