IGNORED

Forza Motorsport 6

Mr Do 71

Yeah, the Indycar race is very shonky - perhaps a combination of the AI being very slow and the speed feeling too high. It shows up the handing as well I think - it only takes tiny movements of the pad for the tyres to lose grip, which doesn't feel good to play. Also, there's definitely something weird / clever going on with some of the scenery on the oval- the 'position pole' thing looks sort of jerky even though the road and cars don't. Could be my eyes / tv I guess.

That was the case with the highest tuned Supercars in all the Forza games - the X class oval events on Forza 4 were just the same...

Well, I think my holdout against an Xbox One might finally be over - and if anyone is looking for organised races beyond Rllmuk give me a shout - TURN just held a 24 hour event, and TORA etc all run a variety of endurance events on Forza and PCars...

Interesting to see the mixed reviews, as was to be expected. Forza 6 is a fine racing game, but it doesn't do much that hasn't been done (elsewhere) before. The rain and night effects are as impressive as limited and the return to 450+ cars and 25 tracks was sort of a no-brainer after what happened between Forza's 4 and 5.

Mostly, this resonated with me a lot after reading Eurogamer's early impressions:

The only problem is, Forza Motorsport 4 was some time ago, and an awful lot's happened since. When Kunos introduced Assetto Corsa last year, it proved you didn't need a colossal budget and the backing of a console manufacturer to make an approachable, authentic driving simulator. Whether you prefer what Kunos has conjured for its considerably slimmer selection of cars or Forza's lighter dynamics will always be a matter of taste (and my own, for what it's worth, leans towards the exquisite weight and balance of Assetto Corsa), but some of its other, finer details are worth paying attention to. Like, for example, how you were able to always mimic the assists that exist on real-world models of cars - so you can benefit from the traction control and ABS that exist on a GT3 car, for example, rather than having to fumble around with the settings to get something close to the real thing. Why spend so long toiling away at a simulation only to fall at the last hurdle?

Elsewhere, Slightly Mad proved with Project Cars something we've suspected for a long time: the real world wins out over XP systems and reward tiers any day, and there's no shame in taking wholesale inspiration from it. Why mess around with XP booster packs and mods that give you added grip on certain tracks or improve your grid position - all part of Forza Motorsport 6's oddest new feature that adds nothing beyond the capacity for YouTubers to gurn over it so is thankfully easily ignored - when the real world of motorsport can offer up so much more nuance and excitement? The backbone of Forza Motorsport 6's career, a slow succession of championships that see you work your way from small sports cars to thoroughbred racing machines, seems like a pale throwback to another age in comparison to Project Cars' more liberal, authentic lattice.

These make up the biggest downsides for me. The - already overly slippery - handling model with all its features feels outdated when compared to Assetto Corsa and Project CARS (still THE realistic racing game to play on consoles if you ask me).

Furthermore, the career is simply a boring grind that only gets alleviated by the occasional drive in an exciting race car. Feels like such a missed opportunity after the graceful career mode approach that Forza Horizon 2 demonstrated.

Online should a different story, obviously - which is why I still look forward to playing this a lot with forumites starting next week :)

Like to give that a read. You got a link?

Yes, though my review in Dutch. In fact, I wrote two: http://gamer.nl/articles/review/forza-motorsport-6-2/& http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/118904/forza-motorsport-6-review-geslaagd-sleutelwerk

Score: 8/10

Google Translation of the first: (Warning: language may be very poor)

REVIEW

Forza Motorsport 6
Forward in a lower gear
Written by Joe van Burik on Tuesday, September 8th, 2015 09:01
Forza has developed into a real digital platform for everything about car culture. One year late Forza Motorsport kick off our cars on closed courses, else we may do so in a festive open game world with Forza Horizon. In 2015 we go for the sixth time in ten years on the circuit.
On the very day that yours truly picked a xbox one for Forza Motorsport six to play, the water came pouring down from the sky. On the highway toward home I unwittingly plowed through a hefty pond, causing the car suddenly felt as unmanageable - the phenomenon is called hydroplaning. No problem: simply reduce any momentum, keep the steering wheel straight and smooth drive. Still, there is quite a shock through your body when you feel the wheels get their own will. What if you find this scenario at a rate of about two hundred kilometers per hour?
Rain
Try it higher than ever before at the next opening of the heavens, but get Forza Motorsport 6 at home. Develop Studio Turn 10 right itself because more than happy on the chest on the simulation of rainfall in the newest racing game for the Xbox One. And rightly so, because despite the impressive rain races Drive Club and Project CARS us advance lodged in recent times, Forza 6 goes even a step further: under piss wet You can only find in this game really deep pools in which control of the car mercilessly from you hands snatch if you do not approach them with respect.
The same is true, albeit to a lesser extent, for night racing, another big novelty in the sixth installment of Forza Motorsport. We have numerous other racing games in the dark raced, but the darkness that Forza Motorsport 6 feels at times just a little oppressive. Think of the rear part of the circuit in the French Le Mans, where the famous 24-hour race takes place annually.
Unfortunately, sticking some big "buts" to the two most prominent innovations. First, driving in the rain or at night long way off at all the circuits. Secondly, the effects are not dynamic and can not be combined with each other, so you should always choose drought wetness either daytime or darkness. How clever execution also, genre contemporaries Drive Club, Project CARS and please note Forza Horizon 2 do offer all a dynamic system in any environment. The limitations in Forza 6 are undoubtedly a compromise to ensure the Forza Motorsport sacred and rock solid framerate at sixty frames per second.
Mods
Definitely better news we find in the area of ​​content. Where Forza Motorsport 5 was especially critical because a limited amount of cars and circuits compared to previous parts, Forza 6 contains nearly five hundred very diverse models and a respectable number of jobs. Also present too micro transactions Forza five are gone. Instead, the new game called mods: separately (also with in-game currency) to purchase tickets, designed to get a race for example more power from your car, or to earn more money.
However, the way the game that feeds content to you, is a bit disappointing. You have the career single-player mode, although the choice of which car (class) you take part, but the long race series that must be done to move forward, feeling uninspired and boring. Fortunately there is variation in the form of special showcase events where you can crawl under more equal behind the wheel of an F1 car or take on The Stig from Top Gear. On many such moments dripping racing thrill of this game off.
That same feeling you can get in online races against other human players, with some possibilities are more extensive than previously. Besides noncommittal races you can also take part in so-called leagues, where championship points and thus even a title at stake. Forza or six to emerge this know to moderate e-sports, such as Turn 10 recently indicated cautious, time will tell. But we hope that the communication problems we repeatedly encountered while playing for this review, so we could not take part in an online session organized by the developers are resolved soon.
Slide
The physics of Forza made five in a nice development, making the handling of the cars a little closer to reality has come. Forza six brands we herein not a world of difference compared to its predecessor, although it is true to the genre appeared recently enjoyed in mind how much some cars actually glide in Forza Motorsport. It's like some cars never really find the grip that they should have. The "computer-controlled opponents, who under the name Drivatar driving show that's based on that of human players, incidentally, there also seem to suffer from it. In our play sessions slipped them repeatedly difficult explainable point of the track.
Graphically Forza has always been strong and the sixth Motorsport is no exception, though the franchise never managed to escape some degree of sterility - not helped by limited damage model and relatively scarce effects like sparks, smoke and pieces of tires abraded rubber. Worse is the menu interface, which has become unnecessarily complicated and messy, and a loss in terms of audio. Like Forza 5 missing the game with a soundtrack with 'poppy' songs, giving you even in entry-level jobs at Mickey Mouse listening to irrelevant epic film score music.
Forza 6 renews in areas where it was needed, witness the convincing rain and night races, more content and a promising new step in online multiplayer. Yet we can not speak of a genuine new race winner, because the single is only at times really entertaining and the lack of dynamics of weather and time and the opportunity to experience these effects on all jobs, the game feels unfortunately somewhat limited.
Forza Motorsport Friday, September 18th from 6 is available for Xbox One.
Conclusion

Forza Motorsport 6 move two steps forward and one step back with the introduction of heavy rain and night races, and has as much content as we move from the Forza series were used in the Xbox 360 period. The game is so despite a somewhat boring career mode guarantees a lot of cool moments, but as a whole knows relatively little refresh.

These make up the biggest downsides for me. The - already overly slippery - handling model with all its features feels outdated when compared to Assetto Corsa and Project CARS (still THE realistic racing game to play on consoles if you ask me).

Furthermore, the career is simply a boring grind that only gets alleviated by the occasional drive in an exciting race car. Feels like such a missed opportunity after the graceful career mode approach that Forza Horizon 2 demonstrated.

Online should a different story, obviously - which is why I still look forward to playing this a lot with forumites starting next week :)

Yeah these are my thoughts. I have Project CARS and AC on the PC and can use my current wheel with both.

After playing the demo I'm not 100% convinced Forza 6 is going to be an an insta-buy now. Racing games have moved on somewhat since Forza 4 (or even 3 my other fav Forza). Coupled with the fact I no longer have a wheel which works on the XBO may end up just sticking with Forza Horizon 2 on the XBO (which is more suited to console style gaming) and leave the serious simulation stuff to the PC where I can use my wheel. Also its around £40 - which is kind of hard to justify when I have pCARS.

Anyway. Still have a pre-order in. Although currently hovering over the "cancel" button dragging the wheel and pCARS out and maybe picking F6 up later.

Edit

Just decided to can it for now.... Looking forward to reading everyone's experiences with this. Enjoyed playing the demo but doesn't do enough above pCARS for me. So sticking with that. First time I've not bought a Forza on release when having a console I could play it on... sigh. Feel a bit underwhelmed by it all. I was really looking forward to this...

Interesting to see the mixed reviews, as was to be expected.

Not following - I'm seeing mostly high scores bar a few blips. I expect it'll end up in the very high 80's on Metacritic.

Interesting regarding the person who wrote the Gamesradar review:

"Wow, turns out I actually played with be guy who wrote the Gamesradar review. Spoilers: he knew nothing about the game"

"He was in an Xbox LIVE party with me. He was streaming and someone asked him if the game was 1080p 60fps, and I quote 'I don't really know, is it 1080p 60fps?'"

"He had shit races because he IS shit. He kept crashing everyone out, I'm not sure if he knows how the game works"

seen a couple reviewers who played with him claim that he just kept crashing into everyone lol

Not following - I'm seeing mostly high scores bar a few blips. I expect it'll end up in the very high 80's on Metacritic.

Interesting regarding the person who wrote the Gamesradar review:

I was mostly referring to the Eurogamer write-up, which is in line with my impressions, as well as one or two other more critical reviews.

Actually, it also depends on your experience with Forza. For any first-timer to the franchise (or at least not one to be called a Forza veteran), I can imagine this comes across as a great racing game with plenty of features and content. But knowing what its predecessors (and the competition) did before Forza 6 through hundreds of hours of experience, it's less impressive - if that makes any sense.

Actually, it also depends on your experience with Forza. For any first-timer to the franchise (or at least not one to be called a Forza veteran), I can imagine this comes across as a great racing game with plenty of features and content. But knowing what its predecessors (and the competition) did before Forza 6 through hundreds of hours of experience, it's less impressive - if that makes any sense.

Agree 100%. Problem is I have played 3 and 4 a lot. (3 most in particular) In fact still own them somewhere. After the 3rd the series started to feel tired for me.

Not really sure what I was hoping for with 6 to be fair though. Lets face it there is only so much you can do with a racing game and arguably as commendable as T10s work is it still falls short of what pCARS does from a technical development point of view (dynamics) if you have that on the PC. Not sure what the XBO version of that is like.

Anyhow another thing that is slightly off for me is that the release date is staggered by how much you are willing to cough up to buy it. Which doesn't quite sit right with me somehow. Still we live in a capitalist environment and all that... Its not a trend I'd like to see continue if I'm honest. Part of the fun of a new release is sharing the launch fun. Now we have a barrier in place kinda dividing the community a bit - which T10 has been very carefully developing (grooming?!) over the years. It makes you feel like a second class peasant. Sure add content to the premium versions no problem. Release dates though? C'mon. Its not the money - if I felt there was enough value in the Ultimate edition in terms of content I'd gladly hand over £80. Unfortunately I don't. What also hasn't helped is I played Gran Turismo 6 late in the PS3's lifecycle which had an absolute staggering amount of content (and is still supported by PD today) for the money. The Ayton Senna tribute alone would have been a £15 download elsewhere.

Anyway... just my take on it....

There's just something weird with the overly long braking distances in this game with all assists off. Something the AI doesn't seem affected by which for me leads to uncomfortable races where I'm just pushing, pushing to keep the car stable and ok round the corners, like I'm driving around with an aquarium in the back seat. Work, not fun.
I never had this problem with PCars, but I'm willing to accept it's my crap driving.

There's just something weird with the overly long braking distances in this game with all assists off. Something the AI doesn't seem affected by which for me leads to uncomfortable races where I'm just pushing, pushing to keep the car stable and ok round the corners, like I'm driving around with an aquarium in the back seat. Work, not fun.

I never had this problem with PCars, but I'm willing to accept it's my crap driving.

What does help here is fitting sport or even race brakes to your car. When upgrading a road car to its class PI limit, I prefer to select better parts (brakes, tyres, weight reduction and a sports exhaust + air filter) myself instead of using the automated function.

Still, it feels like a bit of a workaround. And there may be a certain truthfulness to these long brake distances and low grip levels with stock or slightly upgraded road cars, but it sure does make them less fun to drive - which in reality sure isn't the case!

Lets get the braking issue clarified.

Firstly set up the pad so the braking has the longest throw on the trigger (its set too short) Therefore you have to push the brake trigger harder to brake and the smaller level of play means its easier to skid (which you can tell by the fact the pad rumbles).

The second point is if your skidding, your not braking efficiently and wearing your tires. If this happens ease off the brake. You'll still brake as hard and you won't damage/reduce the life of your tyres.

Finally, AFAIK the tyres on the demo (rival and races) are all set with cold tyres.

This means single lap Rivals events and small distance races are raced on tyres that won't grip at their proper levels and therefore won't brake as well.

The don't usually heat up to proper levels until after a 3-4 laps on an average sized track (lets say 1.8 miles).

Thats assuming the tyres are modelled correctly and they've not bothered to set the grip to 100% for those events which i think is the case but could be wrong.

Also note the difference between Simulator and normal control. Simulated control removes dampening (certainly with the turning rate). I don't know if this too effects the brakes.

Cheers Dimahoo, will check the options for braking later on. I wonder if this alleviates the issue, alongside fitting race brakes etc.

Still, having to do 3-4 laps on a 1.8 mile track to warm up your tyres makes no sense as far as realism goes. It takes 1, maybe 2 at most in reality - and in Project CARS as well, actually.

And if Forza would be the best at simulating all this (which it isn't in my regard), it's still a bit strange considering the whole package feels more like a driving game than a racing simulator. As the first it's quite good, as the latter it's a bit incompetent.

I thought it was a bit longer then that but you'd know best :)

So yeah, in Project Cars its always a lap and the tyres are markedly different in grip. You really feel it.

As for the AI, we don't know if the AI ever caps off and gets to "one" level as a player improves (As his AI is meant to isn't it?)

Wouldn't the demo start at low levels?

In theory you wouldn't see good AI at any level until we've all hammered it some but surely it must get to a certain point else we'd end up with the "Meatball" question?.

His AI would kills us every time and with the same car/set up you would have to equal his times to equal his AI.

September 10

=========

3:01am - US (Hawaii)

5:01am - US (Alaska)

6:01am - US/Canada (Pacific Daylight Time)

7:01am - US/Canada (Mountain Daylight Time)

8:01am - US/Canada (Central Daylight Time)

8:01am - Colombia (Standard Time)

9:01am - US/Canada (Eastern Daylight Time)

10:01am - Canada (Atlantic Daylight Time)

10:01am - Brazil (Rio de Janeiro; Brasilia Time)

2:01pm/14:01 - UK (British Summer Time)

3:01pm/15:01 - Central Europe (Central European Summer Time)

4:01pm/16:01 - Eastern Europe (Eastern European Summer Time)

9:01pm - Hong Kong (Standard Time)

9:01pm - Australia (Australian Western Standard Time)

10:01pm - Japan (Standard Time)

11:01pm - Australia (Australian Eastern Standard Time)

September 11

=========

1:01am - New Zealand (Standard Time)

2:01pm tomorrow for UK early access.

breaking-bad-excitement-gif.gif?w=640&h=

Day-1 patches make "finished" a movable feast these days though.

if I were a particularly cynical publisher, knowing I'd was likely to approve a game for release with some bugs that might need to get D1 patched, then doing something like this where the game goes out to a an early group might be a nice way to get a few days "paid beta" going before patching....

I really don't like the early access thing. If it's finished, release it.

Because of course it's not "early access", everyone else is getting "Late access" and I REALLY hope it doesn't become commonplace.

Well this is a testbed.... if people buy into to it ... consider it will become a normal thing. Which is partly why I've dropped the whole thing and would now rather wait a while before picking it up.

A game should launch and involve the whole community this practice just ends up dividing it... Just another way of T10/MS making more money*. Which is fine. But they won't be getting mine. ~£40 is all I will pay for a release.

Out of interest will the scoreboards get reset when the game releases to the masses on the 18th? At least MS/T10 released a demo... :)

*beta testing should be free.

It can be argued that the combined price of what you get in the bundle is less than you pay individially so the early access is technically free and a motivator to buy digital. Sitting here 2 and a half hours from a new Forza game is as ever exciting for me as a fan of the series and that won't be dented until I get my hands on and find my own criticisms of what they have/have not done. Until then though I'm exceedingly excited about the new tracks the car selection (460 is nuts considering they're all of equal quality, upgradeable, paintable and forzavistable.) and especially the 24 cars on track in both SP and MP.

I have no idea what my first car will be or what to spend my Forza rewards of 25 mill on. All I know is I'll be getting hundreds of hours out of this over the next few years and hopefully it will go some way to rebuilding the fractured online race community on here with some great sessions and championships over the coming months and long into 2016.

edit: It might be worth checking your preload as mine showed as 0Mb downloaded this morning until I did a hard reset. (press on/off button for 5 seconds)