Boomerang Rentals Hacked and Card Details Leaked?

I know some people here use Boomerang for game rentals, especially since Lovefilm stopped their game rental service.

There's a rapidly growing thread on Reddit of customers finding their cards used for dodgy phone top-up payments.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2rv71t/have_boomerang_rentals_had_card_details/

Similar thread on GAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=968303

Boomerang deny it could be due to them, people in that thread seem to disagree.

If you're a customer you might want to check your card accounts to be safe.

No suspicious charges on my balance — I actually had to check the other day due to an inexplicable order receipt from ShopTo — but then it seems like my card details were cleared from my Boomerang account. I don't recall doing this myself when I cancelled my subscription at the end of October, but perhaps I was just fortuitously vigilant that day.

It'll be a shame if Boomerang are at fault. I like to use a game rental service a few months of the year to mop up everything I've missed, but these days I'm not exactly spoilt for choice as far as services go.

I've had £50 taken for o2 topups and another dubious looking transaction which I can't work out what it is for £6. First time this has ever happened to me...presume I can get my money back?!

Depends on what method of payment you used, (and why you should always use credit cards)

Credit cards are usually 100% covered for fraud, so you're guarenteed to get your money back

Debit or bank cards, it's down to the bank, but usually it's not covered

Paypal is also their discretion I believe, although I don't really use it any more.

Most importantly, get in touch with your bank / cc provider, as soon as possible. Small amounts usually get followed up with big ones. (I got hit 6 times, 3 times for 1 pound, and then three times for 600 quid)

That sounds fairly serious. Was the service any good before this?

Sadly, yes, Boomerang was pretty decent so far for me, but now I have questions about their security ;)

(Won't particularly stop me though, I expect this will be fatal for them as a service)

I've not used Boomerang since 2012. Annoyingly, my last transaction with them was just after I got my new debit card, so I must have updated the details with them. Checked my bank account yesterday and everything was fine. Today it's been cleaned out. There was only £75 in there though (I'm leaving that bank, as they're a useless bunch of cretins).

But now, even though the bank's fraud department called me, and I've confirmed with them that the transactions are fraudulent, I have to wait until the transactions actually appear on my online statement and then contact them again before they can do anything.

As I said, cretins.

Had £100 taken in 4 transactions, all O2 and Vodafone topups. Use that card on boomerang, glad it's a credit card. Barclaycard sorted IT dead easy today.

Boomerang continue to claim no issue their end. Could be anywhere I guess.

Boomerang continue to claim no issue their end. Could be anywhere I guess.

Not at this point. It could have been argued that maybe "people who use Boomerang will use the same kinds of other sites," and so it could have been any of them. But then people on rllmuk and GAF who don't use Boomerang also use those same kinds of other sites, and it's literally only the people with Boomerang accounts who've been hit.

I use all the websites an average Boomerang customer would use, except Boomerang, and my bank account is fine.

I mentioned this to a colleague at work who currently uses Boomerang - he checked his bank account and sure enough there was two 0.00 transactions from Apple on the 9th of January. Too much of a coincidence to me - just because people aren't complaining to them directly doesn't mean it hasn't occurred.

If they continue to approach this issue the same way then it will likely be the end of them.

Not at this point. It could have been argued that maybe "people who use Boomerang will use the same kinds of other sites," and so it could have been any of them. But then people on rllmuk and GAF who don't use Boomerang also use those same kinds of other sites, and it's literally only the people with Boomerang accounts who've been hit.

I use all the websites an average Boomerang customer would use, except Boomerang, and my bank account is fine.

I was trying to be positive but yeah, it does look like them. The fact they're actively telling people all is well surely won't bode well in the long run.

I mentioned this to a colleague at work who currently uses Boomerang - he checked his bank account and sure enough there was two 0.00 transactions from Apple on the 9th of January. Too much of a coincidence to me - just because people aren't complaining to them directly doesn't mean it hasn't occurred.

If they continue to approach this issue the same way then it will likely be the end of them.

I've had a couple of random ITunes charges also. Was a Boomerang customer after Amazon bought wotsit. Bank has refunded them...

I've had £50 taken for o2 topups and another dubious looking transaction which I can't work out what it is for £6. First time this has ever happened to me...presume I can get my money back?!

I bank with First Direct. As soon as my wife reported the dodgy transaction, they cancelled my card then put the money back into my account. Not quite no questions asked, but they didn't try to dispute it was fraudulent once we'd said it was.

It was remarkably painless.

I bank with First Direct. As soon as my wife reported the dodgy transaction, they cancelled my card then put the money back into my account. Not quite no questions asked, but they didn't try to dispute it was fraudulent once we'd said it was.

It was remarkably painless.

Iv'e been on to the bank, the first person I spoke with told me to call the company invloved, pretty sure I shouldn't have had to have done that, but went on a Google hunt anyway.

Statement said GTECH SPETCHLEY, only GTECH I could find in Spetchley sells Hoovers and garden stuff, called them, they confirmed my billing address had been used but wouldn't give me the delivery address obviously, due to the whole data protection thing.

Called the bank back and they are sorting all of it, the lady from the fraud departmen checked the IP addresses of all my transactions, all of them were the same apart from this one, said the money should be back on the card in the next few days, cards cancelled obviously so have to wait for them to arrive now.

I only re-signed up with them at the start of the year. Old card was on there so I've either dodged a bullet depending when the details were nicked or just given my new card details to some hacker?

How would they have got the CV2's and verified by Visa details?

How would they have got the CV2's and verified by Visa details?

Boomerang's first statement regarding this whole mess concerned these things.

They basically said "it's completely impossible that we got hacked, but, er, if we did, it's still not our fault because these other places should use Verified by Visa and stuff."

(Thanks to the folks at Ask the Forum about this) I had my card compromised a week ago which seems to be around the same time as when this all started happening. I haven't used the site since the summer from what I can recall so this was something that never would have occurred to me.

I had 5 payments stopped by Barclays which happened all at once. None of them were related to mobile phone payments though, mainly gambling and places to other countries so I'm hoping it's still a related issue to this.