rllmuk
Djx

Amiibo by Nintendo

I got the one I was missing from eBay shipped from japan. I was worried it'd be a knock-off but it wasn't and it wasn't much more than rrp but unless Nintendo specifically reprint and you manage to blah a preorder you're looking at 20 quid apiece.

Are you still keeping all of these boxed like your home/cupboard is a game store? Right now, a complete unboxed amiibo collection fits into one of those IKEA glass cabinets with the aid of four extra shelves, and they can be used in games, categorised nicely and the boxes no longer hide half of the sculpt. That last point is the biggest one for me, there's a lot of detail to see: different materials and textures, from rubbery Pikmin alongside matte Olimar, bendy Guardians and squishy Metroid...open one...set yourself free...

Ivysaur and Squirtle are really high quality; they all are these days. Lovely.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

Yep, all boxed bar a few of the first ones I picked up and a duplicate Solaire.

I’ll probably buy another links awakening amiibo so I can use it in game. To me, they just look nicer in the boxes and will keep their value should I ever grow up and get rid (which is likely never).

I can’t say I haven’t been tempted though.

Yeah, fair enough. I tend to see retail value of this kind of thing for what it is: a ballache for not that much return. I've sold a few duplicates on and the idea of selling off 180+ boxes to myriad people... I wouldn't do it. Based on every amiibo trading group I'm a part of, everyone who harbours a fantasy of selling them all bulk to one or two easy buyers soon finds out it's just that: a fantasy. 

But on the value thing, hopefully you get to see them and their boxed bulkiness doesn't mean you have to hide them away. I've got mine displayed in a corridor so they're passed often throughout the day, and you (and others) never really stop pausing to look at a new one. 

• Upvote 1

Gold shovel knight is up for pre order on amazon UK now. I have no interest in the game (or even own it) but appeared to have pre-ordered anyway late last night in some strange semi-conscious plastic figurine fuelled lust.

• Upvote 2

Is it weird that I want to buy three more Mr Game & Watch amiibo so that I have stands for all four poses?

I mean, the idea is nice but I'm not going to do it....probably.

I gifted them. Seems they make good stick on ornaments. 

They look great all lined up on their bases. Another loss for the less cultured and sexually desirable boxed collectors out there.  

• Upvote 1

When the apocalypse comes and Amiibo become hard currency you’ll regret not keeping them boxed when I am the most powerful man in the wasteland.

• Upvote 1

Weirdly enough I got sent Chrom over a week ago. Did Nintendo accidentally break street? :lol:

Got Incineroar and Simon today. They’re nice. :)

Next round are due for release in January and should be up for pre-order soon I reckon.

Not yet. Nintendo's making money again these days so their amiibo haste has fallen through the floor. I'm expecting the Smash range and the first five DLC characters' amiibo to be out by the end of 2020. I imagine (hope) 2 or 3 non-Smash releases will happen, my biggest fingers crossed being a bunch for the Xenoblade remake. But we'll be lucky to even get a solo Shulk.

In 2019 it was only one for Link's Awakening and these end-of-year Shovel Knight ones. 2018 was a bit better with Splatoon, Dark Souls, Detective Pikachu and the sort-of amiibo for Diablo 3 but we're a long way away from 2017's myriad offerings.

https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/line-up/

And that's probably fine, really. So many series and chars have already been well covered and Smash covers the other bases. My only mild concern is that new stuff feels less likely to get amiibo these days. No Luigi's Mansion 3 Poltergust amiibo, really? No Marin from LA or Mario Maker 2's builders outfit? In the earlier days of amiibo even the Ring Fit Adventure player characters would probably have seen amiibo.

• Upvote 1

My wallet is quite glad of this and I have far more in the loft than I have room to display, even without being a completionist. But the quality has been excellent and the character base they have to select from is in the main utterly charming so I'd be totally up for some more variants for the same. But I thonk you're right, when first party releases don't even see one associated Amiibo, the end of the line looks to be in sight.