Amiibo by Nintendo

18 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

All three are winners. The detailing on the mallets of the Ice Climbers is great. 

Ice climbers are the winner, piranha plant is a tad plastic looking (I know that’s sort of the point) but still great.

The lighter shading on the packaging is all rather good on the new batch, too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where I can get both Bayonetta amiibo at the standard RRP?

I used to avidly collect amiibo but have over the past 18 months found them increasingly hard to find both on the high street and online...

I got the one I was missing from eBay shipped from japan. I was worried it'd be a knock-off but it wasn't and it wasn't much more than rrp but unless Nintendo specifically reprint and you manage to blah a preorder you're looking at 20 quid apiece.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you still keeping all of these boxed like your home/cupboard is a game store? Right now, a complete unboxed amiibo collection fits into one of those IKEA glass cabinets with the aid of four extra shelves, and they can be used in games, categorised nicely and the boxes no longer hide half of the sculpt. That last point is the biggest one for me, there's a lot of detail to see: different materials and textures, from rubbery Pikmin alongside matte Olimar, bendy Guardians and squishy Metroid...open one...set yourself free...

Ivysaur and Squirtle are really high quality; they all are these days. Lovely.

Yep, all boxed bar a few of the first ones I picked up and a duplicate Solaire.

I’ll probably buy another links awakening amiibo so I can use it in game. To me, they just look nicer in the boxes and will keep their value should I ever grow up and get rid (which is likely never).

I can’t say I haven’t been tempted though.

Yeah, fair enough. I tend to see retail value of this kind of thing for what it is: a ballache for not that much return. I've sold a few duplicates on and the idea of selling off 180+ boxes to myriad people... I wouldn't do it. Based on every amiibo trading group I'm a part of, everyone who harbours a fantasy of selling them all bulk to one or two easy buyers soon finds out it's just that: a fantasy. 

But on the value thing, hopefully you get to see them and their boxed bulkiness doesn't mean you have to hide them away. I've got mine displayed in a corridor so they're passed often throughout the day, and you (and others) never really stop pausing to look at a new one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gold shovel knight is up for pre order on amazon UK now. I have no interest in the game (or even own it) but appeared to have pre-ordered anyway late last night in some strange semi-conscious plastic figurine fuelled lust.

• 1 month later...