Amiibo by Nintendo

Djx

I had a look at the Nintendo online store. King Dedede, Meta Knight and Shulk are all sold out. Yet they aren't out until next year. How is that possible?

Noticed they are unavailable on Amazon too, but all the others are up for pre-order.

This seems a bit of a mess doesn't it? I was going to pre-order Captain Falcon last week, only to find it had already sold out! What are Nintendo smoking currently? These sort of limited runs are only going to hurt them surely? Kids (big kids inc!) are going to want their favorites and if they can't get them they won't just toodle off buy a different one.

There's a theory about this sort of thing that I think Planet Money or somewhere did a podcast about. Nike have a similar thing with their trainers in that they release limited editions or limited quantities and the ensuing queues and crazy ebay prices are all part of it. Why don't they just make more shoes or charge more for what they do make if people are willing to pay such prices? Apparently it's all carefully worked out and it's beneficial beyond what we can all guess at as the initial hype. It creates brand ambassadors of sorts. Here everyone is, talking about these things and buying them up when they can. If they were on all the shelves in plentiful supply, would that be the case?

It goes on into things like people doing youtube reviews of them or something because of the interest the scarcity has created. If they continually drip feed these things in limited quantities people will consistently go mad for them. If they just released millions of them all at once then no one would care as much. In the long run they'll sell more this way.

Fucksake. I just ordered another five: Pit, Luigi, Bowser, Mega Man and Toon Link.

See, look at this. The 'fucksake' indicates that he doesn't really want to be buying these things but he's swept up in the craze and can't help himself. The idea that he might not be able to get them if he doesn't buy them now is what's pushed him over the edge. If there were millions of these things readily available he'd probably leave it, think about it some more and maybe he might pick up one or two at some point in the future, if at all. The way it is, he's bought five. If Nintendo continue in this manner, always drip feeding, they can keep the craze going as long as they want thereby always selling out for as long as they can keep it going which might be 2 or 3 years. (yes I know what I've done with that sentence) That's how they'll sell more in the long run. It also circumvents any issues of overstocking and retailer returns etc.

Thanks shirubagan, you can step off the couch now.

There's a theory about this sort of thing that I think Planet Money or somewhere did a podcast about. Nike have a similar thing with their trainers in that they release limited editions or limited quantities and the ensuing queues and crazy ebay prices are all part of it. Why don't they just make more shoes or charge more for what they do make if people are willing to pay such prices? Apparently it's all carefully worked out and it's beneficial beyond what we can all guess at as the initial hype. It creates brand ambassadors of sorts. Here everyone is, talking about these things and buying them up when they can. If they were on all the shelves in plentiful supply, would that be the case?

It goes on into things like people doing youtube reviews of them or something because of the interest the scarcity has created. If they continually drip feed these things in limited quantities people will consistently go mad for them. If they just released millions of them all at once then no one would care as much. In the long run they'll sell more this way.

I totally get all that. I just think there's a very fine balance to be made with that sort of thing. Kinda like the saying 'there's only so much rope you can give people before they hang themselves' Does that make sense? I dunno, it does to me! :)