Amiibo by Nintendo

Djx

Other than the 'Core' group of characters (Mario, Link DK, etc) do the Amiibos do anything outside Smash Bros? I know about the Link one unlocking stuff in Hyrule Warriors & the racing suits in Mario Kart, but what about the likes of Marth & Villager who don't have Wii U games, & though Wii Fit U does exist, does the Trainer Amiibo do anything with it?

The in-game applications seem fairly limited and not very interesting to me. As toys, though, eh, they're alright-very good for a tenner. I got a marth, which looks worse than others I've seen in the flesh.

That's one of the three discontinued ones, so you could make a hefty return on that tenner.

The discontinued amiibo thing turned out to be a hoax.

Well, not exactly. They aren't explicitly 'discontinued', but Nintendo are still only planning to maintain shelf presence for their 'core' figures, and the best they could offer re: sold out Amiibos was that "Certain sold-out amiibo may return to these markets at a later stage". Not the most comforting of statements for anyone who actually wanted one of the toys that sold out without warning.

The discontinued amiibo thing turned out to be a hoax.

Really? I've seen an email supposedly from the NOA head that claims they are not discontinuing them, but that looks less legit than Wired's reporting to me. Have you seen something else?

Its a shame Nintendo don't have a store, maybe a kind of online store where only Nintendo products are sold. It could include limited editions and even promotional offers. Anyways on this fictional store Nintendo could sell all the Amiibos without worrying about store shelf space and have a huge catalogue of Nintendo only products any Nintendo fan could buy from. One can dream right?

Its a shame Nintendo don't have a store, maybe a kind of online store where only Nintendo products are sold. It could include limited editions and even promotional offers. Anyways on this fictional store Nintendo could sell all the Amiibos without worrying about store shelf space and have a huge catalogue of Nintendo only products any Nintendo fan could buy from. One can dream right?

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/home.dept

If only they did...

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo.list

Anyway, the real problem isn't so much Nintendo, but scalpers.

Yeah, it's truly been shit the way they've been buying them in bulk, and flogging them now on eBay at extortionate prices. Maybe Nintendo should start selling them through their own store only; limiting the number of amiibos for every Nintendo ID account.

Yeah, it's truly been shit the way they've been buying them in bulk, and flogging them now on eBay at extortionate prices. Maybe Nintendo should start selling them through their own store only; limiting the number of amiibos for every Nintendo ID account.

Yeah but that would 1) Limit their exposure and 2) make it impossible to buy them as gifts for other people.

Nintendo have done it the right way. Disappoint some people now, to ensure that all future releases get pre-ordered like crazy due to people fearing sell outs in the future. Keep intentions vague to ensure continued pre-ordering.

Well, not exactly. They aren't explicitly 'discontinued', but Nintendo are still only planning to maintain shelf presence for their 'core' figures, and the best they could offer re: sold out Amiibos was that "Certain sold-out amiibo may return to these markets at a later stage". Not the most comforting of statements for anyone who actually wanted one of the toys that sold out without warning.

My interpretation of this statement meant that only certain figures will have a continuous present in stores. Head online, though, and Amazon's warehouses will eventually be stocked to the ceiling with dead-eyed Villagers.

You need to play more Fire Emblem! Though, in fairness, he only appeared in one of the Western releases, and that was the good-but-not-amazing Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on DS, a remake of the very first Fire Emblem.

"Nothing goes over my head. .. I would catch it."

I had a look at the Nintendo online store. King Dedede, Meta Knight and Shulk are all sold out. Yet they aren't out until next year. How is that possible?

They know how many they will be able to manufacture between now and then. They have sold out of that number in pre-orders.