Amiibo by Nintendo

Djx

When Mario Bros 3 was released they did a Happy Meal tie-in with McDonald's. Going to McDonald's was a special treat when I was younger so I only got the Goomba. I should still have it somewhere.

I don't remember them looking quite this ropey. :s

4290-C790.jpg

As for the latest batch of Happy Meal toys: I was going to do a comparison of them against the amiibo, but I'm too lazy.

Yes, it wasn't until they got them home and started playing with them on Super Smash that I realised the genius implementation there. Instead of playing as the Amiibo, you play as yourself and the Amiibo is your buddy, who you can team up with, who gets better as they play and who you can take to your friend's house to team up with against them (requires friend with Wii U). I'm sure the 8-man mode on Smash was put in specifically for this, and it's why I'm considering getting my own DK to "train up".

TBH this is how I thought Miis were going to work before the Wii came out. I thought the idea was we'd each have our own wiimote with our Mii, and all our progress, saved on it, and that we could take it to play against other people. In the event it had a kind of half-arsed version of this but nothing was ever made of it. So now the Amiibos are kind of doing what I thought the Miis would do.

I'm really glad this is working out for Nintendo but still fairly puzzled at why people are paying £10-£15 for McDonalds happy meal figures.

It's fascinating to watch though.

they are wellll beyond the quality of happy meal stuff

proper little toy statues. My son, in particular, loves Toon Link and plays with it as though it's one of his regular action figure toys.

Yes, it wasn't until they got them home and started playing with them on Super Smash that I realised the genius implementation there. Instead of playing as the Amiibo, you play as yourself and the Amiibo is your buddy, who you can team up with, who gets better as they play and who you can take to your friend's house to team up with against them (requires friend with Wii U). I'm sure the 8-man mode on Smash was put in specifically for this, and it's why I'm considering getting my own DK to "train up".

TBH this is how I thought Miis were going to work before the Wii came out. I thought the idea was we'd each have our own wiimote with our Mii, and all our progress, saved on it, and that we could take it to play against other people. In the event it had a kind of half-arsed version of this but nothing was ever made of it. So now the Amiibos are kind of doing what I thought the Miis would do.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up a team battle with other players and amiibos in Smash bros.

I must be really thick. But the only way I've been able to play on a team is by going to Events.

I imagine Nintendo are using them as a yardstick for what games they should make.

Basically we are not getting a new Metroid or F-Zero as all dev teams have been put onto new Wii fit and Animal crossing projects :doh:

Our only hope is that F-Zero means another 30 amiibo.

Yep. I was only going to buy Yoshi for my daughter but now we have 10!

What the hell are you going to do with 10 Yoshis?

I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up a team battle with other players and amiibos in Smash bros.

I must be really thick. But the only way I've been able to play on a team is by going to Events.

Sadly neither do I, we've now reached the stage where the kids get it going and I pick up a controller and join in, like an old granny on Christmas Day. And with about the same level of dexterity.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13195/~/how-to-add-an-amiibo-to-a-smash-battle-%28super-smash-bros.-wii-u%29

amiibo quality right here ladies and gentlemen

The quality thing is pretty meaningless to me. And those are different designs from ages back - you can't see quality in that. Unless you mean quality of design which is subjective.

I'm not down on this - just puzzled. These look like they should be £1 or less to me.

I'd have more fun with the jumping McDonalds Mario than the does nothing Amibo one.

It's like smoking John,

You know you shouldn't, but you can't help it and before you know it the craving takes over. You keep telling yourself you will quit, but then you find an excuse not to.

I actually found it easier to quit smoking than not want Amiibo :(

Our only hope is that F-Zero means another 30 amiibo.

What the hell are you going to do with 10 Yoshis?

Yeah, I didn't express myself very well there.

It started with Yoshi which then led onto Kirby, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, Fox, Link, Samus, Villager and WiiFit Trainer.

The quality thing is pretty meaningless to me. And those are different designs from ages back - you can't see quality in that. Unless you mean quality of design which is subjective.

I'm not down on this - just puzzled. These look like they should be £1 or less to me.

I'd have more fun with the jumping McDonalds Mario than the does nothing Amibo one.

I think that's really harsh when £1 wouldn't get you half of a sealed packet Lego minifigure. They're clearly designed to be both displayed and played with, they're well designed and I think they should be able to stand up to a fair amount of punishment. And the sculpting on some of them is great too. The fact they're in open packets so you can see which you're getting, plus the actual game stuff, makes them worth a tenner I think. You really need to comparing them to stuff like this:

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/adventure-time-mystery-mini-in-collectors-tin-random?zenid=n491f84qvk8vip4f5rganct1a2#.VNDCnahj5FI

Which is a fairly standard price for such things, except you'd potentially have to buy loads of those to get the one you want.

I'm certainly not saying they're a bargain or anything, but you can get a lot worse things for a tenner.

I got the same italian email, a quick google translate confirmed they have no stock yet and gave me the option to cancel. Don't think I will ever see that order, just like the recent argos ones. Soon the holes in my collection are going to make me lose interest or spend silly money.