Star Trek: Beyond

They're showing the remasters on The Horror Channel which means the syndication rights have got to be priced for the bargain bin. Can't imagine that's what they wanted when they set out. In the days before streaming they could've made loads on boxed set sales but I don't think the market's there any more.

They're showing the remasters on The Horror Channel which means the syndication rights have got to be priced for the bargain bin. Can't imagine that's what they wanted when they set out. In the days before streaming they could've made loads on boxed set sales but I don't think the market's there any more.

Yeah, it is a shame that it hasn't seemed to have done better. DVD box set prices just don't go for the type of prices they used to. The complete Blu Ray set is £142 on Amazon at the moment, I think they would shift a fair few copies by getting it sub £100.

Yeah, it does look like that a HD remaster of DS9 has zero chance of ever happening now, regardless of recovering the original 3D renderings from the special effects contractors. :( Shame really, as DS9 holds up much better than TNG.

Source? Still hopeful it seems:

CBS have commented that a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Blu-ray release is a possibility. In a post on Twitter, Michael Okuda commented, "We've heard that CBS execs would love to give DS9 the HD treatment, if sales for TNG HD continue to support it." [1] Craig Weiss of CBS Digital commented that there has been talk about remastering Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

As of December 2014, however, there has been no official decision made public.

Regarding DS9 on Blu-ray, Roger Lay, Jr. commented, "We're all ready to go, man. I've been finding some really cool stuff related to the making of Deep Space Nine that I can’t wait to put on a Blu-ray set. Enterprise is out on Blu-ray as well – we released that simultaneously with TNG. So DS9 seems like the next logical choice". Lay, Jr. also commented, "Deep Space Nine, we all want to do it. I’ll tell you that. I think it’ll be more difficult in the sense that by season 4 of DS9 you had digital elements, a lot of digital elements. By the Dominion War they were doing entire sequences that were digital, there were no models anymore. On TNG we've had all these plates and all these model motion-control shots to re-composite. You don't have anything like that now. So you kind of have to recreate everything when it comes to that stage. I think the first three seasons will be fairly close to what has been done on Next Gen, but by season 4 and beyond it will get a lot more complicated. So all of that has to be factored in. And honestly they have to look at the sales of Next Gen and see how it did overall and what kind of a budget they could allot for Deep Space Nine. So will it happen immediately? I don’t know. Do we all want to go and bring Deep Space Nine back? Absolutely. I think the next couple of months will be crucial. It will also be crucial to fans who have been waiting for all seven seasons of TNG to be released. It sounds sad, but it’s a business decision when it should be a creative one. But you need sales in order to put out more product, it’s as simple as that. We’re hoping to get news within the next several months. But if fans want to do anything to make that happen, pick up these Blu-ray sets right now, because the entire Next Generation collection will be out."

I think they'll probably do DS9 in the end. Voyager too, probably (though I couldn't care less about that). Star Trek is a long-term property - there will probably still be people watching these episodes in a hundred years. And as time goes on, the only way anyone will broadcast them on their channel, or expect people to watch them on their streaming service, or ingest them through their holocubes, is if they're in HD. So I think it'll happen eventually.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...