Street Fighter V Champion Edition

joffocakes

Oh! I keep forgetting about the headbutt! Headbutting fireballs to nullify them is an amazingly Zangief thing to do. Disappointed it doesn't do more stun but I didn't know you could combo into Critical Art from it so now I'm going to use Headbutts all the time.

Does anything link into it? Does anything link into anything any more?

Here's a match where I managed to land that daft Crush Counter combo thanks to a careless Shoryuken.

I got some more games in last night, and I think I'm bored of it already. Instead of the game being shaken up with new systems such as with Alpha 3, SF3, and even SF4 to a lesser extent, SF5 after SF4 is like playing Alpha 2 after Super Turbo. It looks a whole lot more polished and there's a load of extra features, but they're so afraid of screwing it up that they've done everything possible to avoid changing the flow of the game.

I've been playing Chun and her v-trigger gives her extra hits on her normals and better juggles. Play with it in training for a minute and you'll notice it feels like this mode does basically nothing other than looking flashy. When you look at the frame data, you'll see the extra hit stun on her normals gives her one additional link that ends in a cancellable move: b+HP into crMK. She already has MP into crMK without v-trigger which is virtually identical, and b+HP is no easier to connect with than MP. What about those extra juggles? Well Chun can't knock anyone into the air with her normals like Cammy can, so you need to hit them out of the air with a medium or heavy button. But Chun gets zero extra block stun in v-trigger so her pressure isn't any more dangerous than usual, so why would your opponent feel forced to take to the skies? The only use I can see for this mode is to activate just before an anti-air normal so you can add on a super. Great! But would you jump in on Ryu in SF4 with 2 bars and ultra?

It's not like Chun-Li is weak or anything as a result. It's just boring. It's great that she's got an air to air that sets up a juggle, but actually it only combos into air hyakuretsu unless you hit it at the end of your jump. It's great that she's got an extra movement option in her v-skill and that's main reason I wanted to play her, but actually you can't press any buttons until Chun starts to drift back to earth. V-skill into MP could have been a really cool far anti-air option but it's too slow to work like that. You actually just use it as a slightly faster jump that makes punishing fireballs slightly easier. So what's good about Chun then? Walking forward with stand MK, anti-air b+HK, loproing jumps with crouch MP, and her fireball versus non-shotos. And of course Ryu and Ken account for 75% of netplay matches, which is yet another problem than Capcom can't realistically do anything about.

Sleep Fighter 4 is dead. Long live Sleep Fighter 5?

The Ryu/Ken thing will change at launch I think, when the economies are in place. You get Fight Money for levelling up characters, and obviously the XP requirement grows as you climb the levels. So you should see people move around the cast a bit more so levelling's quicker and they make more money.

Disappointed I didn't get to play this at all this weekend but I've had family over. Did anyone by any chance screenshot the character select screen when all the cast were unlocked? Need it for a thing.

Willei, you can launch people by combo-ing into Chun's V-skill and then juggle from there. Can't get more specific on what works as I've not touched Chun yet, just seen mans doing that.

I played another five hours of Rashid. He's a lot of fun. Landed Crush counter fierce xx roll - > standing MP xx V Trigger - > Medium spinning mixer - > Super as a DP punish. It's actually not much damage by this game's standards for spending V-Trigger and your whole bar, but I still did it anyway because I wanted to. I play by nobody's rules, you guys.

God, Zangief needs some major buffs. He's barely got anything going for him, except for that cyclone v-trigger, but I'll be damned if I have to go chasing any more Lauras from one side of the stage to the other at such an absurdly slow rate.

This is the life of a Zangief player, you chase EVERYONE around the screen

Willei, you can launch people by combo-ing into Chun's V-skill and then juggle from there. Can't get more specific on what works as I've not touched Chun yet, just seen mans doing that.

The best combo you can do from v-skill outside of v-trigger is d+MKx3 into ex hyakuretsu.

The best combo you can do from v-skill inside of v-trigger is d+MKx3 into HK into super.

Everyone's different, but the gap between those combos doesn't set my heart ablaze. I also don't consider being able to do a bit more damage on a punish combo a meaningful new possibility, rather a consequence of having meter to burn. The decision is "will this combo meaningfully improve my chance of winning the round or should I save the meter".

Gief will start off rubbish and everyone saying he needs major buffs, then he'll be the best character in the universe for a bit and everyone will say he needs major nerfs, then he'll fall in line somewhere between the two. At least that's what happens with grapplers in almost every other main SF game. Tends to be a grappler's lot in life. Having such a rigid game plan that doesn't really change dependent on the opponent means they:

a) Are likely to have some horror match ups that will initially seem impossible but settle down to about 6-4 over time except for a few special cases.

b) Seem overpowered and unstoppable until people figure out the vs. grappler match up with a new character in a new game.

c) Become increasingly difficult to use because every opponent knows what they want to do and will gradually figure out how to challenge it.

d) Fall into a more accurate tier placement based on factors that take longer to become apparent, such as how often you see their problem/winning match ups crop up in practise. I think the latter is pretty crucial, because the classic tier list calculation done by number of winning/losing match ups and their overall score based on these is, in my opinion, far less important than how they do against the characters you actually see regularly in competitive play. Having a horrible losing match up against Juri in SFIV for example, is not likely to scupper you that often.

Gief definitely needs time to breathe before they do anything drastic with him. This is true for the whole cast of course, but grapplers in particular it's very easy to make knee jerk reactions because in the early stages they can feel absolutely helpless or can kill you in ten seconds. Neither of those feel good and it's easy to ask for the developers to fix it, but you need to let people try and figure it out a bit first.

Dhalsim vs Gief in SFIV, for example. If you're new to Gief and you play a good Dhalsim it feels like 10-0. If you're new to Dhalsim and play a decent Gief it feels like 10-0 the other way. As it turns out, the match up has ended up being about even. I'm sure a lot of Gief players have cried out for buffs when getting prodded to death over 50 long seconds, but if they had made changes to Gief to combat that it would have been a mistake as the tools he has are perfectly capable of overcoming the match, it just took a long time for people to work that out.

It was definitely Ryu season on Saturday, but did anyone else notice Sunday seemed to be nothing but an army of Karins? I must have played 3 matches against Karin for every Ryu. And probably twice as many Cammys as I did Ryus. And a Ken, Chun or Laura here or there.

Yeah, loads of Karins. Luckily it's the match I've played the most so I don't get hit by too many wild overheads or the fraudulent follow up slide "mix up" that they're all doing. She has so much great day one stuff though, early ranked match favourite for sure as she has Oni cross up slash and a high low mix up that are all ideally suited for best of one matches. Glad a lot of her stuff has been made more punishable as the builds have gone on though. The upkicks in particular were only punishable if one of the hits whiffed previously, but now you can get at least a jab regardless.

Interesting that a lot of characters have been stripped of a lot of their most fun tricks and toys in the latest build. They took away Mika's ability to back dash after the irish whip so they hit the wall no matter where the move started, lots of Ken's juggles are gone, Nash keeps losing combos etc. I've seen quite a few folks suggesting that they're taking out a lot of stuff so they can selectively tweak/put it back in to avoid Beta fiends being too strong on day one. Seems plausible as a lot of the changes seem a bit mean spirited. A lot of the Ken ones, for example, didn't even do that much extra damage or stun and were mostly there for additional swag purposes, which suits Ken a lot. I reckon he'll get a lot of it back.

Choo kept on telling me I could punish Karin's overhead and so I went sailing up into the air only to eat a huge combo every time. Thachoo. It is a wonderful thing to uppercut a Karin, Cammy or Birdie that lazily tries to do a fireball invincible move at the very start of a match though. NOPE!

Fwames

Bizarrely her long distance overhead is the safest at -4. Medium -5 and light -6. Explains why a heavy DP with 5 frame startup wasn't working.

Not tested but I suppose the best punish is a cr.lp x something - her grab follow up only hits if you're standing and you'd prob have time to land something else when she misses. She could still frame trap with the sweep follow I suppose.

Check me out giving advice to beat my main, y'all will need it ;)

I don't expect Zangief's air grab from v reversal to stay for the final game

The v reversal is meant to be a "get the hell off me" move. I can't imagine they'll be happy with Zangief having a "get the hell off me...and eat this 200(?) damage too"

Like Willei, I do have some mild concerns about this game. I know it needs more of a chance than a couple of days of beta, but the more I read about it the more it sounds like they're choking the life out of it to try and have this ultra balanced, ultra accessible, ultra mainstream, online fighting game.

Any advice for someone (me) who hasn't pre-ordered yet? Is everyone going to be playing on PS4 or PC (I have six-button controllers for both already)? Are there any good offers around on certain sites? Should I just wait until later in 2016? QUESTIONS.

I was gonna go ps4, but after seeing how well the beta ran on my old PC, I'll be doing that so I don't have to buy a new stick. I'll probably get one for PS4 eventually if there are other fighters that don't make it to PC, but now Xrd is on steam, I guess it'll be a while!

• 2 weeks later...

Played six or seven hours of offline versus with Laura now. She is soooo much fun. I have instantly dropped Rashid and moved onto her, but ultimately I don't think she's a long term solution without some buffs before final release because her anti-air game is abysmal.

Standing medium punch is one of those buttons that looks unstoppable when it works. If you get it out in good time and with perfect spacing then it's golden. Wins clean, looks like it has no hurtbox, can be cancelled into shenanigans etc. However, if you are even the tiniest bit out then you are screwed. It will either move you underneath the jump so you get crossed up or stuffed or it just won't come out on time and you'll trade at best. I understand that complaining about an anti-air normal not working when your spacing is off sounds like a poor workman blaming his tools, but the margin for error is so incredibly thin, particularly when in contrast with something like Birdie's cr. MP that is all things to all men. Birdie's is good early, still works if you're late, has a hitbox on the back of it to beat cross ups... it is an absolute god button. Laura's is so far the other way that I don't have faith in using it about 50% of the time and it means I have to eat all manner of fraudulent jump-ins for fear of it losing.

Her other option is her anti air grab special move. This suffers from exactly the same problem though. If you get it out super early then it's fantastic, but if you're even a few frames late it will trade and not trigger the grab animation. It also leaves you air reset with no option to follow up, so it ends up being a 50/50 in terms of situation/spacing and usually in the opponent's favour in terms of damage.

With both of those the solution is obviously to just get better at using them, but I still think they're way too unforgiving compared to many of the other equivalent options on other characters. I hope at least one of them is buffed significantly by launch as this issue is the only thing putting me off the character.

Aside from that I think she's an absolute joy to play. I love the ground mobility. Her V-skill means she basically has four dashes, many of her normals move her about the screen, her EX command grab has a dash built into it and her elbow and fireball specials also incorporate horizontal movement. I think her buttons struggle against a lot of the other pokes in the game, but I am actually OK with this as she can adjust her spacing more fluidly and rapidly than the vast majority of the cast and this compensates just fine. I like that cr. MK into jab elbow attack will combo at absolutely all ranges too. Other low forwards in the game are better, but having that Sakura-esque buffer option makes it really powerful. Jab elbow is safe on block too, so it's rarely a bad idea to put it behind every cr. mk you throw out. I reckon it's about -2 on block, so it's not your turn, but it gets you into Laura's effective range and with correct conditioning you can score free pressure even when you're disadvantaged on paper. On hit it's great. You can do seemingly endless strings with elbow on hit into normal into put the fireball onto them into mix up into etc. So much fun to use and it makes me keep picking her in spite of the flaws mentioned above.

Her offense generally is absolutely glorious. The fireball is one of my favourite things in the game so far. It only takes a fraction of a second to charge it up enough to get two hits and then it becomes an extremely powerful space control tool as well as an extremely potent pressure option. The EX one is beastly as well, giving you all the hits in a flash and also allowing for excellent follow up resets and juggles if you choose to combo into it. Then she's got a command grab with the mobility options to sneak it in at the most unexpected moments and some very tasty frame trap and crush counter options as well.

It's also cool that the super is a combo-able hit and a grab in the same move. Allows for a lot of utility and it also seems to have some invincibility to use as a desperation reversal.

Her Sean kick overhead thing is incredibly slow and telegraphed, but it's like Abel's wheel kick in that it is completely fraudulent on paper but if applied sparingly or against a scared opponent it does exactly what it needs to. I think if she had a legit overhead on top of everything else her close up offense would actually be too strong, so I wouldn't ask for any change on that front.

So yeah, enjoying playing her but that anti-air issue makes her a bit of a liability and I hope she gets some adjustments to fix it.

Some nice Jap editions launching, there are 2 special box set versions,

heres the Volcanic version http://www.play-asia.com/street-fighter-v-volcanic-edition/13/709dij

Box contents

• PS4 Game: Street Fighter V
  • Ryu & Chun-Li Battle Costume DLC
  • In-game Dollars 1000 Zenny DLC
  • Hot! Package Limited Title: "Hot!なアイツ" DLC
  • Visual Book: Production Note (B5 Size, Full Color 64p)
  • All Character Guide DVD
  • Command List
  • All 16 Character Limited Color Costume DLC
  • M. Bison & Cammy Battle Costume DLC
  • In-game Dollars 500 Zenny DLC
  • Replacement Cover Jacket

post-3501-0-15315100-1452280171.jpg

I wanted to go for PS4 as it'll make my life easier for tournaments and such, but I really cannot justify the price of a new stick when I'll only need to buy the game if I get it on PC. Tournaments really are going to be a pain though. From my experience of the few Pro Tour events I attended last year it is an absolute nightmare using a non-PS4 controller regardless of what converter/mod you use. Maybe I'll make do for while and hope that PS4 stick prices get a bit more reasonable over the coming year.