Street Fighter V Champion Edition

joffocakes

I like the idea of Fang's v-trigger ball of goo. Doesn't do any hitstun or blockstun but if you bulldog through it you have to take the poison. Also allows him to put purple stuffs on screen without having to charge, allowing a bit of time to set up the other tings. Looks like a lot of fun. His movement and buttons looks really weird and ungainly though, will definitely take some time to get to grips with him. Poison is a perfect mechanic for a charge character too, as it forces action from the opponent in a way that all zoners and charge characters need, and in this instance isn't reliant on them taking chip from sonic booms etc.

Same boat, Cale. Cheapo laptop bought in February, about £300, no dedicated graphics card. It can run the Talos Principle, but then someone mentioned that game is optimised for bad computers. I've also been assuming I've got no chance because I don't want to spend money on a version I can't play...

Either way the plan is to get a PS4. And a stick. I might have to pretend I'm doing a dry January for charity rather than Street Fighter monetary reasons. And if that happens I hope there is a thing with burritos and brackets, or multiple things.

As an additional bonus, every beta test participant will receive a number of beta invite codes via the beta client to share with their friends! So be sure to share the love and get your friends and family online enjoying the beta action as well. Who knows, maybe you’ll run into me?

Apparently these codes have been made available in the application. Too bad no-one could get into the application before all of the 21000e errors... :facepalm:

For anyone who didn't see it already, here's Mike Ross using a variety of characters against Combofiend's Fang. I always love watching those two together, with their cheeky chuckles and jibes.

And here's a Japanese Capcom twitch archive of Kazunoko and Misse in the Fang build. It starts 1 hour, 35 minutes and 40 seconds in:

http://www.twitch.tv/capcom_channel/v/30227220?t=95m40s

I know Mike Ross doesn't have a Zangief yet in SFV, but my god Gief vs. FANG looks like a bad time. Without EX green hand it looks so miserable dealing with bullet hell zoning. I'm sure there will be solutions found though.

Tomorrow 8am :omg:

Characters:

The beta will initially start with six selectable characters:

1. Ryu
  2. Birdie
  3. Cammy
  4. Necalli
  5. Nash
  6. Laura

Dhalsim and Zangief will become available later during the beta period. And who knows, there might be a few more character surprises along the way!

Modes:

• Ranked Match
    • Fight for glory and status in high stakes matches!
  • Casual Match
    • Enjoy more casual matches without pressure.
  • Training
    • Improve your skills against a training dummy with a variety of options and settings.
  • Capcom Fighters Network (CFN)
    • Check out the latest leaderboard rankings, search for replays, and rivals.
  • Battle Setting
    • Customize your character profile and button configuration, among other options.
  • Options
    • Manage the screen and sound settings.

Schedule:

• 12/18 00:01 PT (12/18 08:01 GMT) – SFV 3rd beta starts for PS4 and PC users
  • 12/18 08:00 PT (12/18 16:00 GMT) – Servers down for 10 hour maintenance
  • 12/18 18:00 PT (12/19 02:00 GMT) – Servers back online, play resumes
  • 12/19 18:00 PT (12/20 02:00 GMT) – Servers down for 10 hour maintenance
  • 12/20 04:00 PT (12/20 12:00 GMT) – Servers back online, play resumes
  • 12/20 22:00 PT (12/21 06:00 GMT) – SFV 3rd beta concludes

Looking back at the small amount of footage I saved, I think Laura has a nice selection of tools to ensure that opponents aren't all over her - there are a lot of "get off me" moves in there. The shoulder barge move Split River looks like it has a bit of pushback and some okayish hitstun, so it might be useful in the corner. I can't remember if I tried all attack strengths though (sadly a large part of the footage was recorded without input display turned on.)

I used a lot of Thunder Clap projectiles and never bothered to try the charged version, but even if you let the thing fly without charging you can vary your range with different punch strengths. The jab variant of Thunder Clap barely goes anywhere though, so maybe it's meant to be used to stop opponents being all up in your business. Also, I kind of wish that the training mode had hitboxes turned on, as I would have liked to see how tall the projectiles are, or how they affect jump-ins at various heights and distances.

I like the Step Elbow unique attack - a two-hit combo that appears to strike at mid-height and ends in a knockdown. It comes out pretty fast and I think it could be great for opponents who don't see it coming, as you can quickly knock them down and get out of there, or maybe try and set something else up. Once again, it could really dissuade players who like to bully their opponent; players who won't let up and always go in.

Linear Movement is a V.Thing - well, something activated with the medium strength attacks - and results in quick back and forth steps. It was hard to really do anything with this because I only really had time to test it with a stationary dummy, but the steps seem to have good distance and speed. I don't think I tried the "hold" variant though - instead I pressed and released the buttons each time - so there's probably something big I'm missing there. I do like Volty Line though (neutral V.Skill); it reminds me of a wheel kick but with less range but ending in a knockdown, and it looks like it comes out fairly quickly.

Based on first impressions, she's not bad. I'm not sure how viable the Thunder Clap will be in projectile battles and I don't know how much Linear Movement will help that much when more aggressive players are chasing you down, but anything fast that leads to a knockdown is lots of fun to use. :D