Street Fighter V Champion Edition

joffocakes

Serious question : can anyone explain to me how exactly Alex's parry works? I'm catching loads of people with it, then they blocking the clothesline  so I end up eating the damage. I thought it was tied to attack power (i.e will always counter a jab and not a meaty) but I stopped a game winning poke only for them to block the clothesline and KO me. What's the crack lads, to stop me getting caught out?

Had brief but fun fightings with Plopboy just now before the connection errors came about. I'm enjoying the V-System tweaks to Guile a lot (although I forgot to turn character select on in the lobby at first :blush: )

I also found an old PC headset so I should be better prepared for future Discord stuff... :P

4 hours ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

Is it just me or are some of Guile's combos absolutely rock hard? I simply cannot do his st.hp, cr.mp into his sonic boom. :o

It's similar to Chun's SBK combos. You can cancel the cr. MP much later than you think. Press fierce, start charging immediately, press crouching MP - > pause for a beat - > special move. It's really unintuitive at first (and completely different from SFIV, where you'd want to pretty much have the entire charge before pressing the last normal before the cancel). It's easier than SF4 but you make it more difficult for yourself, which oddly makes it harder at first. You can let Guile's arm extend all the way out on the MP and still cancel it, so you have plenty of time to charge.

I think I'm finally settling in to enjoying this game now. I've sworn off ranked for the time being, just getting bopped in casuals as Ryu and figuring out what I need to work on. Have to remind myself that I played so many hours in IV before I became even mediocre. The quest for a real main is still very much open. Probably not the best choice to accompany bad execution and fundamentals, but feeling tempted towards Karin...

Also, amazingly funny that Guile - Guile! - is the lengthy bar-burning combo character in this game. Well done Capcom, for that if nothing else.

Gotta love that instant recovery time on a whiffed nash EX moonsault, the moody fucker.

Terrible match up for Alex - you'll lose to his normals every time and the teleport / v-reversals just open you up to a massive punish. 

Not come across any Guiles today, thought he was mega popular

19 hours ago, JLM said:

It's similar to Chun's SBK combos. You can cancel the cr. MP much later than you think. Press fierce, start charging immediately, press crouching MP - > pause for a beat - > special move. It's really unintuitive at first (and completely different from SFIV, where you'd want to pretty much have the entire charge before pressing the last normal before the cancel). It's easier than SF4 but you make it more difficult for yourself, which oddly makes it harder at first. You can let Guile's arm extend all the way out on the MP and still cancel it, so you have plenty of time to charge.

Thanks, that's helped me complete all his trials. It's a very peculiar sort of charging.

Well, this is fabulous.  Even if I'm stinking up the Discord with "What's this do, why is that shiny, what's a Ryu?" I'm having a great time.  Thanks to Qazi and co for getting me into the lobby and facing many, many beatings.  One of these days I'll try and learn another character, but it might have to wait till I figure out what the turbulent buttons make the turbulent wind do.

Did get to see a very tense Bison/Gief and Mika/Sakura match though.  I love lobbies, just get to see people go to town and learn the tech.  Also, learn what the moves actually do which is always a bonus.

when R Mika throws you out of V-Reversal you know her offense is scary as fuck. When the tool designed to break pressure doesn't work you've got some serious problems, heh

also getting from 3500-4000 is legit tough as nails ((match up with bronze and lose, thanks for the 184 points, bro. Win? here's 10) but thankfully only had 1 RQ since the update.

Thought you were taking a break from ranked! I actually tried to play ranked last night but got three matches in about an hour, so yeah it's taking me forever to rank up too!

Anyway, anyone can throw anyone out of v-reversal (well, I don't think it's quite the same with all the "escape" v-reversals actually). The common bait is to jab and then wait rather than continuing to press, and if they v-reversal the jab you recover in time to block it - or indeed throw it, since v-reversals are vulnerable to throws. V-reversal only really beats you if you're pressing lots of buttons or heavy/long attacks.

Moodmon welcome! If you're new to fighting games ignore everything I just wrote for now! If you're ever around early evening and want to do a training lobby to learn the mythical arts of footsies, not jumping, and pressing all the buttons, let me know (if you're not new to fighting games then pick your man and come beat us all up).

Down by Law, I don't know how you do it. I've been giving Alex a whirl all afternoon because I'd like a grappler as a pocket character and he's just bloody hard work. It's so hard to stop the jump-ins and pressure once you get knocked down. D: 

2 hours ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

Down by Law, I don't know how you do it. I've been giving Alex a whirl all afternoon because I'd like a grappler as a pocket character and he's just bloody hard work. It's so hard to stop the jump-ins and pressure once you get knocked down. D: 

Yeah, it is tough, you've got to maintain momentum once you're on offense with good execution to have any chance of winning. That said though, you can do some insane damage from a couple of good reads, I perfected a platinum Mika yesterday (who went on to slaughter me in the 3rd round, as once you're in that corner it's all over, Alex is so big and his anti air comes out so slow, if you've not already activated V Skill to enable to parry it's real tough to get out, 'you can't escape', ironically) 

I used the V-Skill a lot. People who jump in constantly eat an unexpected parry and then an Ex Power Bomb and they soon stop that. Make the most of his down charge moves to catch enemies off guard and keep the pressure on. Stomp comes out so fast and the LK version is perfect at sweep range, if they block that, mix it up and go for the headbutt instead, they block thinking they are gonna eat boot but instead take a huge headbutt instead. Use V-Reversal against enemies with huge chains like Rashid and Karin and then start putting the pressure on.

Also neutral jump into hyper bomb catches people out a lot, especially if you've relied on a few jumping combos. Oh and EX Elbow has armour on one hit, you can soak up a fireball and take a good chunk of damage against enemies who never saw it coming.... It's brilliant against FANG who tries to corner trap you with poison, then use the LP version at close range to go right under the next and hit them again.

Oh and one last thing, his F+HP Lariat is an amazing crush counter against whiffed dp's and you can go straight into a LP Power Bomb from it. Great punish, or D+HP elbow charge into EX knee slam does good damage too

I have a question.  Keep forgetting to use V-Trigger meter, and I know V-Reversals exist but have never used them.  Are there any specific situations to use them?  It seems like a measure to gain some space, doesn't seem a tremendous amount of follow up.  Am I missing a use or do you use it for say not getting trapped into a corner?

Unless every characters acts a little differently in which case welp.

V-Reversals are good against moves where your opponent is at an advantage if you block them. A prime example would be R Mika's charged dropkick attack; if you block that she can either grab you, or follow up with a couple of light attacks into her butt-attack. You're essentially left in a situation where you have to correctly guess what she'll do.

V-Reversal lets (depending on character) push the opponent off you or escape the pressure entirely. Another very important thing about them is that you'll immediately recover a chunk of your Stun meter when you use it. With stun being a big part of the game that can be pretty important. Be aware, however, that some opponents will pressure you when you're close to stun and deliberately bait and punish your V-Reversal by throwing it. V-Reversals are invincible to attacks but not throws.

They're quite useful to use now and then, to keep your opponent on their toes. Some people can be caught of guard when their flow of offense in interrupted by it.