Street Fighter V Champion Edition

joffocakes

9 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

I'm playing only casual now. I actually dropped back down to Rookie last week and was ready to sell the fucking game on ebay. Managed to claw back to Super Bronze and now just playing casual - less stress and you still get experience for the fighter.

I've been playing fighting games since KOF '96 and SNES Killer Instinct and yet I'm still unbelievably shit at them. I don't know why I keep bothering. Turning 33 soon and too old for this. I think I'm one of the weird ones who loves the designs and the stages and the backstories, but when it comes to combos and frame-traps my hands prefer to button mash, which is why I think SFV has disappointed me with its lack of single-player content or even a nice cinematic intro like SFIV's. I'm now really looking forward to GGXrd Revelator, which seemingly has a huge amount of content to unlock and things to do apart from being beaten to a pulp online.

I'm 31 mate, you aren't ready for the boltgun yet. It's really just practice, practice, practice (and a bit of luck with matchmaking)

The one thing I have learnt from this thread and the feedback people have given is never, ever play the game on tilt. I usually play for an hour after work now and do really well, the moment I lose 3 in a row , I've had enough despite thinking 'I can take this guy' it's juts not worth the rage.

Yeah, that definitely happened the other day and I agree - the losing streak is a real danger in this as you just get more and more worked up and end up playing like crap. Will try the hour-after-work technique, rather than the couple-of-gins-little-bit-tipsy technique which is evidently not doing. It's the old 'When the fun stops, stop' anti-gambling campaign that the government's been pushing.

I think as well as ignoring LP, casual does allow that practice practice approach without getting worked up about how many points you're going to win or lose. Will continue with casual until I feel confident in my buttons and bnbs with Necalli, then try ranked again. Then get relegated to Rookie.

Did any of the new players who got swept up in the launch hype stick with this? Now the lobbies are up and running properly, I'd love to get some beginner lobbies running one evening next week. I've settled on trying to learn Cammy and am pretty terrible at the moment. 

My Capcom ID is SMDSMD (y)

It was so very, very good.

So good. Everyone watch it. It was really good.

In other news, Alistarr has sorted me out with a thing that makes Survival Mode skip straight to the final stage for the PC version. I now have purple Laura. This pleases me.

I have no shame in admitting I cheated here because Survival mode is utterly, utterly hateful. For the record, my achievment for completing hard survival mode is NOT LEGIT. It's not legit guys. Call me on it if you like. It is not real.

Purple costume though. :wub:

So I had an interesting run through ranked mode today. I picked up the game on PC so I could alt+tab and do something interesting while waiting for the next game, and the record of the venerable Naruto___69 can't be carried over so I had to start from scratch. The first ten or twenty wins came quite quickly as the fact that I can now time meaties reasonably well is enough to beat the majority of bronze players. There was no achievement for ten straight wins this time around which is highly sensible, and would really make you think that Capcom realised the error of their ways with obnoxious multi achievements if not for the fact that there's an achievement for getting into gold. :mellow:

At around 30 wins I started to encounter the dreaded rage quitters. That's right, those people who are so angry that you have a win streak that they don't even dare to play you! Before the end of my streak I had two people disconnect on the loading screen, two people do nothing at the start of the match and then quit, and one person who did a taunt and then turned his PS4 off or whatever these people do. Bloody rage quitters eh? No punishment is too great for them. I had three of these in a row at one point and I was genuinely thinking of throwing a game so I could carry on playing!

So how far did I get? Well, I eventually got matchmade with someone outside of the ultra bronze/early silver range I was sitting at:

GZBCZEa.jpg

And I got thoroughly blown up, one of those games where you just keep guessing wrong. After the game there was a good delay before he accepted the rematch, I like to think because he was so sure that there was going to be a mysterious disconnection. And it looked like the rematch was going to go the same way, but clearly that didn't happen or I wouldn't have bothered uploading it:

In case you're wondering, it was +198 points for me and -160 for him. Believe it or not, he chose not to run it back. Can't exactly blame him with that much to lose and 10 points to gain.

Nicely done.

I hit my 7,500 target this evening. Mixed bag of opponents as usual, actually didn't have any rage quitters at all which is the first time that's happened since I started playing the game.

Notable opponents:

JLM 2-0 Miligano

JLM 2-1 Hurricane237

JLM 1-2 Infexious.

There were some other decent 7-8,000LP mans in there also. I think I played everyone 2/3 except for a couple of 2,000LP guys who got beaten pretty badly and declined the rematch.

Was nice to finally play Infexious at this game. It's mostly an oppressive wall of Gief low jabs, moving you toward the corner slowly and steadily like a big hairy iceberg in speedos. It's not quite as demoralising as fighting the Hugo was (I took a game and could have had the third one if not for my own cock ups) but I'm sure it will be in time.

Was chuffed to beat The Hurricane as it required a lot of discipline to not get shimmied by his relentless Cammy. He also beat the ever living piss out of me in game two, so to keep calm and take the third one felt very good indeed.

That's me off ranked for a while then. The rematch option made the stretch from gold to platinum really good fun despite the rage quitters. Plus it's always fun when a known UK tournament man shows up, or one of the old Dragonman rivals from Xbox live. It's by no means the best way to play the game but I'd say it's more worthwhile than SFIV ranked even with the quitters, simply because best of 1 is the worst format ever and you at least get a chance of a full set here.

Haha willei if a silver player on a 30 win streak popped up on my screen I would by 99% sure they'd been v-cancelling their losses. I'd play you anyway because the 70-odd seconds of gameplay would be more valuable to me than the points after spending 90 seconds waiting for the game to load, but I wouldn't expect a real match.

I think I'm nearly ready to give ranked another go just to see how I'm doing. I figured out training mode options yesterday for learning meaty timing and throw bait timing. I feel like Chun is comparatively quite weak in them if you're bad like me - her best meaty button, st.MP in my opinion because it leads to real damage, doesn't stay out long which makes the timing more difficult than something like the classic sf4 ryu cr.MP. Other Chun options b+HP and cr.LK seem easier to time but lead to very little damage. On throw baits, her best option seems to be cr.MK which again doesn't really lead to anything. b+MP works but only combos into v-trigger, for example. Actually thinking about it she might get to walk back in and throw if they whiff a throw attempt. Hmmm...

Neither are disastrous weaknesses but I'm even more convinced there's good reason she's not winning tournaments yet despite being theoretical top tier. Time to learn Cammy because Ryu is too hard to use and Nash is the worst.

Since I keep banging on about it being important I thought I may as well write up how to practise it. Of course training mode in this game is really boring so I haven't followed my own advice yet for more than five minutes before getting bored and going looking for battle lounges!

Practising throw bait timing in training mode

Pick a character with either a 3 frame jab as your opponent (Chun is fine). Record "guard recovery" actions of cr.LP, block down-back, and throw. For the LP and the throw you should see the red "reversal" notification pop up to show you did it on the earliest possible timing. Turn on all three actions in "guard recovery playback". Also change the dummy's blocking setting to "first hit only". Now use you character of choice to approach the dummy and attack with a normal button, say cr.LP. You should see the dummy play back either a reversal button or throw as soon as they come out of blockstun, or just downback because you also recorded that as one of the options (the reason I included that one is so you don't get too enthusiastic about using unsafe attacks as your throw bait punish - they won't always take the bait).

So now you can try using different normals to walk up, have them block an attack, then immediately walk back half a step and press something else to hopefully punish their reversal button or throw attempt. Or you can do what my Ken friend from the other day did and walk half a step back to dodge my throw and immediately walk back in and throw me while I can't tech. Practice makes perfect.

This is what they're talking about when they talk about "the shimmy". It works because the opponent is so used to defending against tick throws where the attacker stands after their button is blocked to step forward and throw. They see you stand and throw/mash jab on reaction, so if you anticipate that happening you can stand to prompt their reaction but step out of the way of their retaliation and punish it. Better players than me can sometimes visually confirm and select a punish accordingly, but for now I'm sticking to stuff that will be safe on block because I don't trust myself to look for the hit confirm.

Practising meaty timing in training mode

Again pick a character with a three frame normal but this time use the "record wakeup actions" setting to just record a wakeup three frame button (e.g. Chun cr.LP) in one slot, a down-back in the second, and a throw in the third. Again you want reversal timing. Set the dummy block to "after first hit" and turn on your three recordings in playback settings. Also set the dummy recovery type to random so it moves between quick rise, back roll, etc. Knock the dummy down and try to get close and press a button which hits them before either their button or throw can happen. Technically you can do this exercise with just the cr.LP recorded but I like the variations because it reminds you what things your opponent might do in a match (I stopped short of adding in wakeup invincible reversal haha). Remember that different knockdowns give different wakeup timings/distances so there's no one setup for every situation. For me the purpose of this is less about memorising what to do right now than to get used to seeing wakeup animations and recognising when I don't actually have time to press a button to challenge them. For example after a forward throw with Chun I know now that I can't dash up and press a button because if the opponent quickrises then their reversal jab will win.

10 hours ago, JLM said:

It was so very, very good.

So good. Everyone watch it. It was really good.

In other news, Alistarr has sorted me out with a thing that makes Survival Mode skip straight to the final stage for the PC version. I now have purple Laura. This pleases me.

I have no shame in admitting I cheated here because Survival mode is utterly, utterly hateful. For the record, my achievment for completing hard survival mode is NOT LEGIT. It's not legit guys. Call me on it if you like. It is not real.

I'm going to need that Survival thing, stat >.>

And in relation to playing the game, JLM how in thwe actual fuck am I supposed to beat even a moderately competent Ryu with Laura? He's got better walkspeed, buttons, damage..everything!

Yes! It was so good to be talking again. I used a cheapo clip-on microphone on my PC and just had to set the game volume level to 2 so I could hear the chat properly. Definitely better than 360 xbox live quality and actually worked without messing unlike steam voice chat which I can never get to work. Also I say everything I say here in the discord chat first so if you join the discord you effectively get to read all my posts twice by default.

Speaking of cheapo clip-on microphones, I have spare cheapo clip-on microphones for any PC dudes who are willing to pay me back by agreeing to play the game with me. I bought a five pack by mistake and while I might be happy to have a spare or two I can't imagine I need four spares. They have quite short cables though so if you have to plug in at the back of your PC it might be no use. I have my PC on my desk and a mic input on the front of it.

14 hours ago, JLM said:

After reading stuff like this and seeing desk's excellent video it's reassuring to know I'm not alone. I got a legit win on hard mode with Rashid but extreme remains incomplete because I'm rubbish and don't care about titles.

I might have to try out mic stuff on discord too - I still haven't got a bluetooth headset for the PS4 but I think my old TB headset has cables that go for miles, so I might see if I could use that on PC whilst playing on PS4...

Very envious of PC players who can get all of the costumes - I've totally given up trying to get Vega's hard move colours. 

Dark Souls is a bad, bad game to play in tandem with Street Fighter. Stopped playing for a couple of weeks and all the good things I had been doing have been forgotten. Managed to win most of my 2/3s in casuals but it was so sloppy I didn't feel that good about any of them. I still rely far too much on Vega's slide to get my pressure started. 

Yeah I recognise the name too. Also he may be a horrible quitter but that is a pretty fabulous outfit, if you're into the whole blue oyster thing. 

I miss this game. I just can't be fucked to play it though. From watching Kumite it seems that the game is jabs vs meaties at the moment, and that doesn't really appeal. I do think it's interesting that they've gone to such lengths to dial down the offensive power of light attacks but have instead made them even more powerful on the defensive end than they were in IV. But it does put me off a bit. 

27 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Just beat BTM_GuN_Slinga, a 8550 LP Ken ranked 368 in the world, and he's a RAGE QUITTING BITCH.

13102636_10154013167920803_5169872099315

This prick

Oh, that guy. Yeah, he's from Liverpool, and he's a bit of a fucking knob. Not even remotely surprised he's a rage quitter

He was a really strong Guy player in SF4 but was banned from major UK tournaments for offensive messages and concerns that there'd be fights if he turned up. 

Always been perfectly nice to me personally but it seems that isn't the case for a lot of others!