Street Fighter V Champion Edition

joffocakes

(I should predace this by saying it's not advice, just musing by someone who doesn't know anything about that matchup)

I think your most effective approach to that match as a Zangief player is probably to pick Ryu. Other than his poor wakeup if you ever do get him locked down then the odds are against you, especially given that unless you make a great read to punish it then his v-trigger will give him up to two free corner escapes per round as well.

I think I actually read somewhere that you can stuff his wakeup v-trigger with a meaty, but it's one frame startup so you have to have it down perfectly and I therefore obviously haven't bothered looking into it myself yet!

I meant to ask you the other night (but couldn't because there's no chat in SFV thanks Capcom), who is Infexious playing in this so far? I wondered if he might have been attracted by some of Alex's Hugo-like attributes.

I think it needs a different name, given that in this game it's more a tactical decision than a rage-related thing. I'm calling them v-cancels.

I'm hopping online now hoping to get a few fights in against any of you lovely people. 

On 20 April 2016 at 9:31 PM, sith said:

Infexious is using Gief after I showed him Lariat is still a good anti-air.

Is he going to have a secondary character this time? Always broke my heart that he was so stubborn with the Hugo pick. 

Really not sure about Guile's crouch walk. Just breaks the rules a bit, you know? How does it work? Just down-forward and he can do it whenever he likes?

It just means he can edge forward slowly and still have access to Flash Kick. Since he's not charging back he loses access to Sonic Boom. It's not too different from Bazooka Knee's function when charging Sonic Boom, really. Flash Kick has no invincible frames and is Crush Counter vulnerable during recovery. I think Faultless Move will be a very useful tool but probably not as scary as it sounds.

His VSkill "stationary projectile" isn't as terrifying as I thought at first either. I thought it might linger like Fang's gaseous geyser and also allow for setups on downed opponents like Guilty Gear's Millia Tandem Top nonsense but it doesn't stay on screen for very long at all. By the time Guile recovers from setting it it's almost gone; he has to chuck a Sonic Boom almost immediately after to take advantage of it. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it will be used in high-level zoning wars.

I'm interested in trying him. I find Ken so, so much fun in this, though.

Insanely stacked weekend of events.

Red Bull Kumite in France:

Justin Wong
Gamerbee
Momochi
Poongko
Xian
Alioune
Kazunoko
Keoma
Infiltration
Snake Eyez
Tokido
Bonchan
Luffy
Daigo

Plus lots of excellent commentators flown in especially. F-Word, Ultrachen, all the good mans.

Then there's the PAX invitational tournament:

Flashmetroid

Nuckeldu

Arturo

Ricki Ortiz

LI Joe

K Brad

Marn

And one more TBA attendee. Excellent commentators for that one as well. So hype for some more Marn Mika antics and I'd also like to see Arturo play against some of the non-New York folks I haven't seen him fight yet.

Then there's also Texas Showdown, which is a Pro Tour ranking event so should have anyone else who isn't going to the above, plus presumably Hsien Chang and other good folks you only see at Texas events.

In other news, I did more ranked. I am now Ultra Gold. 6,500LP. The aim is to get to platinum and then retire to battle lounge and casuals, safe in the knowledge that almost everyone decent will stick around to play me. 1000LP to go!

I'm still running scared of ranked at 3k lips, I want to spend a solid hour or two drilling meaty timings before I go back because it's so aggravating losing encounters to wakeup jab when you know you had frame advantage. Got to do it soon though because everyone else will be getting better too, I guess! (I'm only shooting for gold though).

I'm excited to see Daigo competing in earnest, and kind of hoping against hope that Alioune will bop some folk. He has all the tech and it is good to watch but he is surely one of the underdogs in that lineup. All of us mediocre chuns complaining about doing BnBs into SBK and he's doing them with standing buttons before the SBK just to make it even harder.

I guess based on current performance you'd have to say all except Infiltration and possibly Tokido are underdogs, though!

I'm looking forward to hitting ranked with Cammy and seeing how far I have to drop before starting to get wins. I know people gaming the points system get a lot of ire (and I refuse to call it rage quitting when the person who doesn't quit has to hold the rage) but the sooner you just let go of that meaningless number the happier you'll be. It's not like it means anything Gold and above anyway with cheaters being so rife.

I think it evens out again at Platinum aside from people who are actually good and also cheating. If you're really shit and *just* cheating then it'll take a long time to get to Platinum as you'll still need to win enough games to get there even if you cheat to stop yourself losing. Getting 5 and 10p for beating Bronze/Silver players it's going to take a long time to do it. Ranking points are always ultimately meaningless but personally I'll be at least a bit pleased when I hit Platinum because I know I've never quit out of a game because I was losing. Not one single time. I've quit in the first five seconds of round one due to teleporting opponents because it was blatantly not going to be playable, but aside from that my record is clean. I've also had loads of really fun 2/3 sets with super/ultra gold players along the way. There are loads of cheaters but there are loads of people not cheating as well. Again though, I mostly just want Platinum because most of the good players I want to be playing against are about there and, if SFIV is anything to go buy, it's the equivalent of that 3,500PP sweet spot that makes people play you. The helpful part there is that most people quitting to boost their points will stay in ranked anyway and won't be stinking up the lobbies.

I never knew that 3500PP sweet spot...

Had an excellent set with Imp this morning (apologies for rushing off mid-match!). Birdie seems to suit your more "serious" style of play really well, you can really control the match without taking many risks and force me into increasingly desperate attempts at regaining control through bad gambles. Not sure how much of that is the character though, as it reminds me of fighting your Ryu in tournament, feeling very frequently that I'm the one who has to take risks and force the issue even in the rounds where I get the early advantage. Looking forward to more :-)

2 hours ago, alistarr said:

I never knew that 3500PP sweet spot...

Had an excellent set with Imp this morning (apologies for rushing off mid-match!). Birdie seems to suit your more "serious" style of play really well, you can really control the match without taking many risks and force me into increasingly desperate attempts at regaining control through bad gambles. Not sure how much of that is the character though, as it reminds me of fighting your Ryu in tournament, feeling very frequently that I'm the one who has to take risks and force the issue even in the rounds where I get the early advantage. Looking forward to more :-)

Thanks for the kind words man! I was feeling some minor frustrations with birdie lately as people are figuring him out a bit and have really cottoned onto his weakness once knocked down, but it's all good, I just momentarily forgot how to block for a day and I guess normal service is resumed for the most part. Plus his damage and comeback potential is too sick. Nothing like getting three reads in a row and taking 75% of someone's health!

You know that really you ought to just be picking Ken and yoloswagging all over the place. I don't know why you try to hide from your destiny - you can't play keepaway vs fate forever.

OGZDarwinDuc is a eurotrash Ryu quitter on a 7 win streak. Of course, I didn't quit when he beat me and took my points. I really hope capcom looks at DQ rate with the April update and resets these chumps. I'd love to see the salty tears of some RQer on 3995 points get slashed back to zero lmao

4 hours ago, alistarr said:

You know that really you ought to just be picking Ken and yoloswagging all over the place. I don't know why you try to hide from your destiny - you can't play keepaway vs fate forever.

God you're right, I don't even have a semblance of a ken right now, my priorities are entirely out of whack. I sure would like I character I can just go nuts with.

Been playing FT2 against a Ken player called Shintoken for nearly 2 hours, and I just won my first FT2! I've had the odd game along the way but in matches it's 15-1. Must be something like 31-5 in games.

It took me about eight games not to be losing to the same two things every single round - the standard throw bait, and v-skill into throw. Either Shintoken is a lovely person happy to help people learn or Shintoken just really, really enjoys winning. I'm happy anyway, I feel like I just crammed about a week of learning into one morning.

Survival mode really is a load of shite innit. How can you play tactically when it's random what perks you can pick at the end of the round? and wow does the AI go from brain dead to beast mode at the flick of a switch. Complete waste of disc space (not that it takes up a lot!)

In ranked though, I'm hanging steady at the 3000 mark. Went as high as 3475 at one point then back down to 2720 at worst but managed to claw back - Gold still seems a tremendously tough task with how many points you give up for a loss, but I will persevere....It's really down to the matchmaking though. Stuck me with a 6500,6100 and a 5500 back to back - sure, you only lose 25 pts for a loss but they soon add up. .

I'm playing only casual now. I actually dropped back down to Rookie last week and was ready to sell the fucking game on ebay. Managed to claw back to Super Bronze and now just playing casual - less stress and you still get experience for the fighter.

I've been playing fighting games since KOF '96 and SNES Killer Instinct and yet I'm still unbelievably shit at them. I don't know why I keep bothering. Turning 33 soon and too old for this. I think I'm one of the weird ones who loves the designs and the stages and the backstories, but when it comes to combos and frame-traps my hands prefer to button mash, which is why I think SFV has disappointed me with its lack of single-player content or even a nice cinematic intro like SFIV's. I'm now really looking forward to GGXrd Revelator, which seemingly has a huge amount of content to unlock and things to do apart from being beaten to a pulp online.