Street Fighter V Champion Edition

joffocakes

Nothing really to add to what Willei said apart from you can disrespect her wake up pretty strongly if she doesn't have meter. I tend to find a knocked down Karin (myself included) will do her ex reversal uppercut thing the first or second time on wake-up (with meter), if only to test the waters. 

If you ever want to run the match gimme a shout and we'll set up a lobby sometime.

In other news, isn't there maintenance tonight from 6 again? 

2 hours ago, Willei said:

Stand jab to anti air jump ins, towards fierce for neutral jumps. This Karin basically never walked in to pressured you from mid range and just won with jump-ins. Be more prepared to block in disadvantage situations and remember that you can use v-reversal rather than just trying to interrupt her pressure with buttons. Try to avoid whiffing stand roundhouse.

Basically your offense looked fine when you got to run it, your defense was the problem here and Karin didn't really do anything clever to open you up.

2 hours ago, Jonster said:

Nothing really to add to what Willei said apart from you can disrespect her wake up pretty strongly if she doesn't have meter. I tend to find a knocked down Karin (myself included) will do her ex reversal uppercut thing the first or second time on wake-up (with meter), if only to test the waters. 

If you ever want to run the match gimme a shout and we'll set up a lobby sometime.

In other news, isn't there maintenance tonight from 6 again? 

Thanks gents, +1 each. Kept trying to do the light air knee smash but her jump in is real quick, didn't realize I could just poke her out the air with standing LP. Can I do that to prevent being crossed up by Ryu/Ken? If so, that's a proper game changer right there.

I really need to use V-Reversal more if just as a psychological tool if nothing else. It is not ok to keep wailing on me while blocking etc.

I'm having a few days off from SF as I've overdone it the last couple of nights but should be on Friday/Sat if anyones setting up a lobby

Joffles, your rage quit video with a certain top player in it has been posted in the comments here: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/apr/13/soon-guile-released-ill-be-my-way-us-isdd-talks-guile-sf5-killer-instinct-thoughts-and-more-exclusive-interview/#comments

May be getting some delicious Youtube views shortly. Fame and fortune awaits. It's funny that he's turned up in the comments of the other guy's video calling him a "Spanish fag" because the fight wasn't over and was a genuine disconnect, but strangely hasn't addressed yours at all.

On 12/04/2016 at 3:32 PM, Down by Law said:

Thanks gents, +1 each. Kept trying to do the light air knee smash but her jump in is real quick, didn't realize I could just poke her out the air with standing LP. Can I do that to prevent being crossed up by Ryu/Ken? If so, that's a proper game changer right there.

I really need to use V-Reversal more if just as a psychological tool if nothing else. It is not ok to keep wailing on me while blocking etc.

I find the knee press trades a lot and is generally less reliable than stand jab. I assume EX is better (it was in 3S) but it ain't no DP for sure. Stand jab doesn't do much about cross-ups that I can see (though I haven't tested it extensively, there's only so many jump ins you can eat before it pisses you off even in casual matches) and a better bet would be jump back jab or something.

To be honest I find Alex annoying to play. There's a lot of getting thrown out of command throws, getting punished for moves that are generally crappy anyway (air stampede and elbow rush), and a v-trigger that gets blown up if your opponent understands what it does. It's not like the character is outright bad or anything, just that Birdie has most of his strengths and fewer weaknesses. In exchange you get an MP that leaves him plus. #worth?

Jump cancelled Hard flash chop is too slow to punish throws too, and I find that genuinely upsetting. :angry:

My offline session drought continues until the weekend, so more ranked adventures this evening.

The more of them I play, the more I think Nash is really tough for Laura. He is just too comfortable at long and mid-range and can dictate the spacing at will. I have to be incredibly patient to get in, and he has the Dhalsim factor where if he does get away you have to accept that you're back to square one or you'll run into all of the pokes/booms/scythes. Scythes in particular are soooo frustrating to get hit by when Nash has you on tilt. I'm getting better at it though. Have to be patient, know that he's terrified when you do get him, take advantage of his lack of 3f normals and don't let him get away with stupid stuff like wake up V-trigger. I'm learning but it's still an exhausting fight.

Ended up on 27-5 this evening. Had a shaky start and then really got on a roll. I think the 2/3 format is helping a lot, as there have been quite a few opponents where I just barely win the first time but then by the last round I've had that little bit of extra time to observe their habits and am able to make the right read to close out the second game. Still a very short set but infinitely more useful than best of 1.

There was a Ryu player I fought where, after returning to neutral after a scramble, he'd walk back to typical fireball range and throw a fireball. I got three successful jumps over fireballs and took the first round of the first game easily. Second round was a bit of a scrambly brawl and I got blown up. Third round was closer to the first, except instead of fireballing in those typical fireball situations he'd take a few extra steps back and then DP me because I was still jumping in anticipation of them. A combination of still being on tilt from round 2 and his little adaptation meant I was extremely lucky to win round 3 with a couple of fortunate reads.

I then played him in the second game, we went back and forth, then in the last moments of round three the scramble situation ended, he walked backwards, I did V-skill dash forward and then immediately EX command grabbed him as he was walking backwards, knowing that he was only looking for me to jump and it was almost guaranteed to work. 

Having that little bit of extra time to suss people out and see what was going on makes so much difference. Also means that game three is usually the most fun as long the other player is decent as you get to start playing properly instead of running through your one game ranked routine.

Was saying to Alistarr that it's funny how a momentum based character like Laura lets you carry over momentum between games and even opponents. Each time you have a successful comeback/dizzy/succession of reads it builds your confidence. Makes it easier to play fights where you struggle to get in because you remember how badly you mauled the last guy when you *did* get in etc. I'm getting a better read on when people are scared of my command grab now as well. It's really satisfying when you fight someone who's been holding up in *almost* every flashpoint/reset/mix up/typical command grab situation and then you still get him to eat two in a row when it counts. It's important to make mental notes of how the opponent responds to occasional random mix up situations when they're not in the blender too, as it can give you really useful information later on when you need to make the last read that'll get you the dizzy.

Currently on a 14 win streak so every match is terrifying as I want to see how high I can go. Also reached 6,000LP. Sweet, sweet Leppés. They are délicieux.

In place of talking about my experiences playing this game (because I haven't been playing this game other than trying trials etc), here are some tier lists/charts from Nemo and Go1 (I think? the source says "koichi" which I just assumed was a mistranslation...), the first showing character strength/well-roundedness and the second showing initial skill requirement and eventual skill ceiling:

C6TYrew.png

nWxBXQI.png

I love that Birdie is right up in the "easy to use/ease to start winning corner" as it fits with what we were saying about "week 1 top tier". Interesting to see Ken quite high on their main tier list as that's a character everyone seems to be down on and yet plenty of US players are using him which suggests they don't actually think he's as bad as they're saying. 

Poor old FANG. Hard to use, hard to win with, seriously flawed and generally just bad. In unrelated news, I have yet to win a ranked match vs FANG.

I think they have Ryu about right - relatively straightforward to start playing Ryu but difficult to play him at the level Nemo is thinking about the game. Chun is similar in my experience - her basic tools and a general understanding of fighting games will let you burn through the lower ranks online but to be a credible threat in tournament play you kind of need to be drilling stomp/iaLL for hours on end before we even talk about any of her other high execution stuff. Neither are characters you'd really pick up as a secondary for bad matchups the way you might have a pocket Mika or Necalli or ahem Rashid. Either you main them or you complain that they're broken, haha.

3 hours ago, alistarr said:

I love that Birdie is right up in the "easy to use/ease to start winning corner" as it fits with what we were saying about "week 1 top tier". Interesting to see Ken quite high on their main tier list as that's a character everyone seems to be down on and yet plenty of US players are using him which suggests they don't actually think he's as bad as they're saying. 

I strongly agree with this assessment of Birdie. Once you play people who can punish his 35 frame grab (and it's just a matter of time before that becomes the norm, I usually jump it now even with my old man reactions) you realise that he actually has no way of applying pressure on top of having no legitimate way getting in. But that's the game at the moment in general - what's legitimate will only start to carry real weight when the standard of play (or more accurately, the level of knowledge) rises. At the same time, certain things just aren't going to be very punishable. It's great that you can mash jab after blocking Mika's stand MP to end her pressure but it's always going to be hard to do in practice.

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Ryu hard to use? Also your experience of Fang is the same as mine, really tricky to fight against the rare time he comes up.

It's all relative. SF5 is generally a game with low execution requirements, but Chun and Ryu are still harder to use than the likes of noob crushers like Birdie and Nash.

Apparently some Guile screens went up on Capcom's Facebook page earlier before being taken down, so he's the next character?

wp-1460987100359-1024x663.jpg

Also this would suggest that those original character silhouettes might be shown in order of release (Alex, Guile, Boxer, Ibuki, Juri, Urien)

http://shoryuken.com/2016/04/18/guile-sonic-booms-his-way-on-to-the-scene-in-these-street-fighter-v-screens/

So happy that they've put his stage in there and I reeeaally hope you can smash the boxes.

Character overview and April update tings: http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2016/04/18/guile-joins-street-fighter-v-and-april-update-news

They're struggling with traffic at the moment.

The gist of it re: Guile is that his V-skill is a stationary projectile that can lock down opponents and also buffs his Sonic booms if they pass through it. Sounds very Guilty Gear.

His V-Trigger allows him to throw lots of instant booms at different speeds depending on the button you press.

He also has a crouch walk that allows him to hold his down charge while moving forward.

Here's the Guile patter from Capcom-Unity. He can crouch-walk while maintaining charge!

GUILE

In Street Fighter V, Guile retains his ability to dominate both the ground and air with his solid normal attacks and special moves, such as Sonic Boom and Somersault Kick. He also now has the ability to enter a crouch walk state called Faultless Move which allows him to keep his charge while moving forward, giving him even more options in his kit to keep his opponents in line. Guile is a great choice for those of you who are looking for a charge character who can easily control the pace of the match.

V-Skill: Sonic Blade: Guile spins up sonic energy to create a Sonic Blade which acts as a stationary projectile that can also juice up his Sonic Booms. Sonic Blade can really help Guile pressure opponents on their wake-up or help him win projectile battles as it increases Sonic Boom durability!

V-Trigger: Solid Puncher: Guile powers up and tosses out continuous Sonic Booms! Each button throws a Sonic Boom at a different speed, so mixing up between buttons can create interesting Sonic Boom sequences. Depending on the sequence used, this can act as a great combo extender, be used to overwhelm opponents or easily push his opponents to the corner.

Critical Art: Sonic Hurricane: Guile’s most devastating attack, the Sonic Hurricane! Guile powers up and hits his opponent with a massive, multi-hit Sonic Boom. This Critical Art receives a damage and range boost while his V-Trigger is active.

AIR FORCE BASE STAGE

We’re also excited to announce our first DLC stage, which is a classic that you all know and love: Guile’s Air Force Base! The jet receives a new coat of paint and you’ll probably recognize some familiar faces cheering you on in the background. This stage will be available in the Shop for 70,000FM. Season Pass holders will receive this stage for free as a thank you for supporting Street Fighter V.

RAGE QUIT SYSTEM

We’re also happy to announce that we will be implementing a system to punish players who frequently disconnect during matches (aka rage quitters).

The way this will work is the system will identify players who have high disconnect rates during matches and will lock them out of matchmaking for a period of time. Players who have been identified as abusing the system will receive an in-game message notifying them they have been locked out of matchmaking. More additions and enhancements to this system will be implemented in the future.

MATCHMAKING IMPROVEMENTS

We will also be making a number of improvements to Street Fighter V’s matchmaking. Many users should have an easier time creating and connecting to Battle Lounges and we are also loosening the restrictions on finding an opponent. We know users in Europe and other parts of the world have experienced some issues finding opponents and this should help increase the amount of battles coming their way.

8 minutes ago, alistarr said:

For crying out loud Capcom just take the points when they quit a game.

Yeah, the really oughta (Ray Liotta). Matchmakin' hell is just gonna slow them down but if the whole reason they're doing it is for the points then they're just gonna continue. Hopefully it will mean getting matched with less quitters, for a bit.

Sent you an invitation, I'm alistarr on CFN. Apologies if it takes me a while to get warmed up, I haven't played against people in a while. And apologies also if I stay awful even when warm!

Scrub Fighter V!

In what situations boys should I be doing a wake-up DP? I play Necalli, and for my sins I'm still Bronze rank despite nearly getting the 300 online matches trophy FFS. My problem probably lies in that I have absolutely no idea what to do on wake-up. Recently I've just been lying there, chillin', not even bothering with the quick get up, in the hope of varying my game plan a bit. I used to be able to connect a EX-raging light to the face pretty reliably on wake-up but it seems even my fellow bronzers have wised up to that tactic now, and I now comfortably get thrown on wake-up or my DP gets blocked and crush countered. Any tips for varying the wake-up game?