Street Fighter V Champion Edition

joffocakes

I think I'll die of old age before I get to the gold league. The ranking system is fundamentally flawed, when you're in silver it keep matching you with bronze players. Bronze players who'll take a shitload of points off you if you lose and as there's plenty of people still working up the ranks, there's many better players than the rank might suggest. I fought 4 tough bronze fights for a total of 140LP then lost one to another bronze player who took 93 off or something like that. Then off course you get matched up with someone in gold and you beat them and they rage quit. Bah.

14 hours ago, JLM said:

GGs WIllei, I think my internet has just given out as that first round of the last game there was a teleporty nightmare. Was trying to come up with punishes for Birdie's towards fierce on the fly as it's -7 but nothing seemed to work. 

cr.HP should work? 7 frames and one of her longest range normals

Was playing Rashid as I still prefer him over Laura for that match-up. I think it's OK for Laura too, I just like Rashid kicking the V-skill on reaction and other nice little Anti-Birdie stuff the Rashman can do.

Guys, any tips for Ryu's Trial 10? I absolutely cannot link the Denjin trigger to axe kick without Ken blocking the kick.

It's driving me mad as I've tried at least 30 times and I've got the same timing down as the demo. Counter HK - check. HP - check. Denjin V-trigger - check. Axe kick - blocked.

What am I doing wrong?

18 hours ago, JLM said:

GGs WIllei, I think my internet has just given out as that first round of the last game there was a teleporty nightmare. Was trying to come up with punishes for Birdie's towards fierce on the fly as it's -7 but nothing seemed to work. Checking the old Vframes I can actually sweep or crouching MK punish it, it just feels like you'd need to use something faster when it's happening. Also months of playing against Birdie and playing against arguably the best Birdie in the UK has still not made me any less free to Bull Revenger. I don't think I'll ever get used to it. The sequence of tick bull revenger, tick bull revenger, up chain was lovely. Felt like a right chump.

Hey good games man. I haven't played a good Rashid up to that point so I don't really know what he's capable of yet, but the way most of those games went I wasn't really losing to Rashid tricks but by just playing too disrespectful in general - especially once you'd started to play more defensively. It's a fine line with Birdie, most of the things he does aren't solid on paper but you can steal turns with his armor moves and everyone still gets hit by Bull Revenger from time to time! If you play 100% safe it feels like you can't get in on half the cast without walking behind cans, and virtually all his buttons are minus anyway.

58 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

You have to walk forward a tiny wee bit before the axe kick. 

Thanks. So it's more like s.HK > s.HP xx Denjin > f > b+HK? I think I'm panicking too much, as it seems you do actually have quite a wide window for the next input.

25 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Thanks. So it's more like s.HK > s.HP xx Denjin > f > b+HK? I think I'm panicking too much, as it seems you do actually have quite a wide window for the next input.

I would actually say it's 

s.HK > f a wee bit > s.HP xx Denjin > b+HK

Ken is blocking because you're hitting with the 2nd hit of the HK

I went to the trouble of installing discord and all that, only to ignore the little message alert bleeps and just idly wonder why it sounded like I was getting steam messages when nobody was writing to me.

Got too embroiled in the ranked this evening. Unlocked Laura's colour 14, which is a lovely pale pastel blue number. Still haven't unlocked the purple one though because last time I tried hard survival I lost at number 42 and I haven't summoned the will do try again yet. I need that purple outfit though!

Ranked is a lot more fun and competitive at Gold. I think the lowest points opponent I faced had 2,500LP and the majority were in the 4-7k range. Made for some fun sets, though it's still the rematch option that really makes it. I was adamant that I wouldn't get sucked into ranked in this game but I think if you get short tournament style sets with decent players it can be worth a go. It'll do until the next offline session anyway. Everyone in Leeds seems to have taken a bit of time off after Hypespotting so it's down to LP battles to keep me from getting too rusty. Next step, Ultra gold!

Sometimes I wish we would get Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter just so I could pull Karin's head off. I think I need to ditch this for a week and come back fresh, everything about this game is winding me up fierce tonight. Getting KO'd when the enemy has nothing left in the health bar, throws not connecting, roll back completely fucking me over. Being stuck around 2000 points for the last 3 weeks is a painful experience, don't feel like I'm getting any better or worse just seems completely pointless, at the mercy of a matchmaking system that doesn't match you up properly so you lose way more points for losing that you earn for winning. You know when you're on an 8 win streak and are only 400 points better off from when you started something don't seem quite right !

Yeah I think I definitely need a week off lol

I'm frustrated with this game too, but just because I don't have my stick back from being fixed.

DBL, I think more lounges with rllmukers, playing around with other characters, or casual matches would all lessen your pain. Treating ranked as the main gameplay mode is an oversalted recipe for unhappiness.

7 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Sometimes I wish we would get Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter just so I could pull Karin's head off. I think I need to ditch this for a week and come back fresh, everything about this game is winding me up fierce tonight. Getting KO'd when the enemy has nothing left in the health bar, throws not connecting, roll back completely fucking me over. Being stuck around 2000 points for the last 3 weeks is a painful experience, don't feel like I'm getting any better or worse just seems completely pointless, at the mercy of a matchmaking system that doesn't match you up properly so you lose way more points for losing that you earn for winning. You know when you're on an 8 win streak and are only 400 points better off from when you started something don't seem quite right !

Yeah I think I definitely need a week off lol

If your posts in this thread are anything to go by then I can guarantee you'd start climbing the rankings if you calmed down a bit. I have a friend like that: swears, gets riled literally during matches and finds every excuse under the sun for why it's not going well. He's good at the game but is very emotionally fragile. If he gets any rollback - even if it's for just a split-second - in a match he's totally gone. Can't recover from it. Sometimes time off is the best medicine.

If you feel like you aren't improving then posting your matches on here is a good bet. People can point out bad habits that can be hard to see when you're the one doing them. Lord knows I should probably be doing the same. 

It's weird isn't it, I think the game would probably be a lot less aggravating for a lot of people if the ranking stuff was more opaque. Seeing the numbers climb up and down after every game can be just as damaging as rewarding. 

Let go of your belief that rankings are important DBL! As JLM said earlier, games > points.  You will end up settling at a point in the rankings appropriate for your skill level.  You can't climb forever! 

i've given up caring about ranked.

i lost almost all my points kinda on purpose over the weekend having a go with Vega. who i dont think i like, despite using him a fair bit in 4. then last night tried out Alex for the first time, straight into ranked/casual and did manage to win a few games while i was figuring out what his moves were a bit. i didnt intend spending any fight money on hime before, but i'm tempted now. from my rubbish perspective he's pretty similar to Laura. and i do love a command grab.

I really think the quickest way to rank up is to get better at the game BEFORE playing ranked, not during, and sets with friends is the way most of us improved as players. Not for a moment saying I'm good, especially at 5 (pretty much only play against imp and jlm so far which is a very limited frame of reference!) but if it wasn't for playing with friends and trading advice and chat then I'd have hung up my buttons as a D+ Sagat a long time ago, thinking much the same things you're saying in your post there.

The way the system works then you do need to be stomping 95% of the bronze-level banana skins if you want to get far once you hit silver, it's true. To be honest I think that's fair, but I do think they should have left out the achievements for reaching gold and silver because it makes people think they should all be getting there and constantly moving up, which isn't really how ranked leagues should work.

1 hour ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

If your posts in this thread are anything to go by then I can guarantee you'd start climbing the rankings if you calmed down a bit. I have a friend like that: swears, gets riled literally during matches and finds every excuse under the sun for why it's not going well. He's good at the game but is very emotionally fragile. If he gets any rollback - even if it's for just a split-second - in a match he's totally gone. Can't recover from it. Sometimes time off is the best medicine.

If you feel like you aren't improving then posting your matches on here is a good bet. People can point out bad habits that can be hard to see when you're the one doing them. Lord knows I should probably be doing the same. 

1 hour ago, dood said:

It's weird isn't it, I think the game would probably be a lot less aggravating for a lot of people if the ranking stuff was more opaque. Seeing the numbers climb up and down after every game can be just as damaging as rewarding. 

Let go of your belief that rankings are important DBL! As JLM said earlier, games > points.  You will end up settling at a point in the rankings appropriate for your skill level.  You can't climb forever! 

Both quite right, I don't tend to get too riled up during matches, it's more bad etiquette or the fact the rollback never goes in my favour that really winds me up. I never, ever get annoyed playing mukkers or local, possibly because there aren't any points on the line or possibly more because there seems to be a genuine good spirit of competition.

I feel guilty when the ranked system sticks me with some poor sod on 700 points as it does regularly, If you tear through the poor fella he might hang up his stick and never look back, you hold back a bit and risk losing a shitload of points, I don't think it's a good system at all. Then on the opposite end of the spectrum, every gold player I've come across but one has quit out on the final blow, but they'd happily slap me silly for a measly 5 or 10 points but can't take it the other way around. 

It's that achievement! It tells the young folk that gold should be achievable, and they will go to curious lengths to make sure that's where they end up.

Curious lengths that often don't seem to include learning to play better street fighter...

Here's the Karin player I fought against last night:

Any pointers? I swear only crouch MP is the only thing that beats her onslaught of puny jabs and even that's 50/50. I try to jump in as people say 'she's got crap anti air' and get v-trigger, that little uppercut thing or that really annoying move where she put both arms at her side. In short, she's a fucking nightmare and I might as well put the kettle on when the matchmaking screen comes on !

Stand jab to anti air jump ins, towards fierce for neutral jumps. This Karin basically never walked in to pressured you from mid range and just won with jump-ins. Be more prepared to block in disadvantage situations and remember that you can use v-reversal rather than just trying to interrupt her pressure with buttons. Try to avoid whiffing stand roundhouse.

Basically your offense looked fine when you got to run it, your defense was the problem here and Karin didn't really do anything clever to open you up.