Street Fighter V Champion Edition

joffocakes

A lobby! Lovely. Geegs to Joffo, Donut and dood, which looks weird downcapped next to those two but that's how the man styles it.

Had to dash off to play work things so ran like a wee jessie after a thorough whomping by dood's Chun, but it was nice to have a bunch of people in the same room. Until next time!

A lobby! Lovely. Geegs to Joffo, Donut and dood, which looks weird downcapped next to those two but that's how the man styles it.

Had to dash off to play work things so ran like a wee jessie after a thorough whomping by dood's Chun, but it was nice to have a bunch of people in the same room. Until next time!

7c18f5f4b7145570379ed52e96788341.jpg

Oh man! OH MAN. What a session.  Joffo and I ended up doing a FT10 at the end.  I'll be uploading overnight!

Oh man! OH MAN. What a session.  Joffo and I ended up doing a FT10 at the end.  I'll be uploading overnight!

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Really not happy with Alex so far! Everything comes out so fucking slow! Jumping Headbutt perfect anti-fireball, to fucking slow to start up! Stomp doesn't track right! Hyper bomb grab range is FUCKED, it whiffs right next to enemies, even after a neutral jump landing at their feet! Gets out poked by everyone! Gah! Rubbish! USELESS! I AM THE LOSAH !

They even put his fucking legs on back to front!

8Q00pEr.jpg

EX Hyper Bomb was just beaten by Ken's standard throw, fuck this shit, turning it off. 1600lp that took weeks to earn gone in 2 hours.

You can't blame the game if you're rubbish mate. Training mode is where you should have gone.

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Really not happy with Alex so far! Everything comes out so fucking slow! Jumping Headbutt perfect anti-fireball, to fucking slow to start up! Stomp doesn't track right! Hyper bomb grab range is FUCKED, it whiffs right next to enemies, even after a neutral jump landing at their feet! Gets out poked by everyone! Gah! Rubbish! USELESS! I AM THE LOSAH !

They even put his fucking legs on back to front!

8Q00pEr.jpg

EX Hyper Bomb was just beaten by Ken's standard throw, fuck this shit, turning it off. 1600lp that took weeks to earn gone in 2 hours.

You can't blame the game if you're rubbish mate. Training mode is where you should have gone.

Alex's legs *are* backwards though. And to be fair Joffo had little trouble smashing both me and Liquid Myth  Lyrical Donut all over the shop with Alex.. 

Also, ffs I failed at stage 29 of normal survival TWICE last night.  The little lobby we had going saved my sanity after that annoyance! 

Also, I found Liquid Myth  Lyrical Donut's final match with Joffo to be epic.. So cagey! Joffo had been winning a lot so I was cheering Donut on every time they played! Redemption is so sweet! :D

And here was the moment my Chun finally redeemed herself against the big blonde twat.. 

Was bugging me all night so I had to test it when I got home. In case anyone else was curious;

CC s.hk c.mp xx m.bullhead xx CA = 532

CC s.hk c.mp xx bullhorn xx trigger xx l.bullhead xx CA = 607

Not exactly a massive amount of damage. It's nice to get into v trigger though. 

22 minutes ago, dood said:

Also, I found Liquid's final match with Joffo to be epic.. So cagey! Joffo had been winning a lot so I was cheering Liquid on every time they played! Redemption is so sweet!

You couldn't have been cheering too effectively if you were getting his name wrong! 

Great great games though sirs! Really enjoyed Alex too.

Next time Joffo. NEXT TIME...! *shakes fist*

(next time I'll hopefully take more than one match...) felt so good though, especially toward the middle of the set, felt like I was actually concentrating / adjusting my habitsfor once! 

I got so upset by the number of crashes I was having with my graphics card that I tried too aggressively to fix it. I fixed it so hard that I killed it forever.

So no street fightings for a few days. The quick go I had with Alex was fun though: I'm happy that they kept his (weird, extensive) moveset from 3 because it makes him an interesting prospect: he has loads of tools, but all of them are dependent on the situation, and none of them can be leaned too heavily on to actually win you the match. I like that the v-trigger adds an extra - vicious - tool, as well.

I really like Donut's Ryu. Has a really good sense of when to dash up throw, which is such a good option in this game and I'm nowhere near being able to deal with. Also you can't dash cancel at him on block because he sweeps it every time. Very smart. Only bit of advice I'd give is not to parry jump-ins unless you're going to DP before they land. You can see it in that Joffo match and he did it to me last night too, if you don't convert it into an anti-air it's just a reset. Also I'd look into the post-knockdown mixup he has with forward dash into axe kick, it's ever so good.

Also we all need to stop jabbing until we've learned to actually confirm them into damage. I am so bad for this, it's the hardest bit of SFIV muscle memory to unlearn I think. The tourney stuff I've watched has made that abundantly clear - you look at Tokido and Infiltration, they're using lights constantly but always convert them to damage when they hit. You might not get much but at least you're getting something. No way I'm ever going to confirm a single jab into chin buster, though, so I'll probably just try and stop using them full stop. 

Should have looked at the forums last night, instead of mostly tooling around playing lobbies with horrible randoms. Can you actually kick people from lobbies? Its absolutely hilaaarious having some eejit from south africa join and sit there on one bar like he could possibly expect things to be playable.

Alex is really fun though. Still miffed that, once agani, its another character with better pokes than Vega! He's a far better rounded version than third strike, you can combo off more than one linked normal, you have anti air moves worth a damn !

11 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Also we all need to stop jabbing until we've learned to actually confirm them into damage. I am so bad for this, it's the hardest bit of SFIV muscle memory to unlearn I think. The tourney stuff I've watched has made that abundantly clear - you look at Tokido and Infiltration, they're using lights constantly but always convert them to damage when they hit. You might not get much but at least you're getting something. No way I'm ever going to confirm a single jab into chin buster, though, so I'll probably just try and stop using them full stop. 

You leave my jabs alone!!!  Heh.  It's tricky with Chun, off the top of my head, the only viable options after a cr.LP are:

- cr.LP, cr.LP xx SBK (two jabs for hitconfirm, and to buffer more charge - for some reason though, I find this spectacularly awkward and drop the combo almost every time)

- cr.LP, st.MP, cr.MK xx SBK (only ever managed this in practice, so much muscle memory required)

I could finish combos with Legs, but even on hit the advantage is very small and the opponent is left standing so it just seems a way worse option.  And using EX legs seems to be a waste of meter! 

So in the end I kind of end up using my jabs to lead to frame traps, but I er.. I'm not very good at that yet.  More research needed. 

Someone tell me how to fix all of this! :D

11 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

This is *the* bit of technique that I have never ever managed to get close to mastering. How would you train for it: something like random guard in training mode?

A (much more basic) bit of learning I've had in the last week is simply to stop getting mad about being thrown, especially on wakeup. A throw isn't so bad. Even being thrown twice in a row isn't massive damage. But being scared of a throw is much worse than actually being thrown, because you're liable to do something stupid and eat a massive punish.

@jonny_rat Yeah, confirming off a single light attack is basically impossible.  What you want is either a string that is safe on block, that you can only 'finish' with a big move/combo ender if the first hit connects.  You watch / listen for the impacts, and do your dragon punch / whatever only if you connect. 

@dood Lovely. Bafael's combo list from reddit has these strings for Ryu; I'm thinking I might sit in training for an hour or so and see if I can get anywhere with the first two. When my ding-donged old PC is fixed, that is.

cr. LK, st. LP, st. LK xx MK tatsu (141, 329) - a 3 lights confirm, somewhat rare among the cast. Shoryu won't reach here

cr. LK, cr. LP xx HP shoryu (159, 293) - Higher damage but less reaction time

cr. LK, st. LP, st. LK xx LK tatsu, CA (307, 329) - super version of first combo

cr. LK, cr. LP xx HP shoryu xx CA (369, 293) - super version of second combo

So before we saw people's combo videos that had all the fancy juggles and other nonsense, the tastiest combo we (the mini-SFO collective who had gathered for Alex dabblings) found was CC Standing roundhouse - > Towards + fierce xx V-Trigger - > Standing roundhouse xx V-trigger clothesline of doom - > cr. jab - > stand jab xx chop xx super. It's not the best combo but it has two almighty boots in it and still does 500 damage. It's crazy how much of a delay there is after the clothesline of doom. it's an eternity before you can press a button but you can still combo. Really jarring.

Also like the potential juggles off crush counter anti-air towards + fierce. You can juggle anything off that, so there are lots of fun resets to be had as well as combos. That move is generally pretty good. Combos on hit, +3 on block, crush counters, CC anti-airs. It's slow to start up but seems to have a decent range of uses.

His juggle potential generally is a lot of fun. Heavy flash chop (the Sonic boom + kick move), crouch fierce, crush counter towards fierce anti air and diving cross chop air to air all cause a juggle state and allow for all manner of fun follow ups if you feel like spending resources.

Really excited for 8 man lobbies. Hope there's something going on tonight and that my internet co-operates!

41 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Tournament Chuns seem to be using EX Legs quite a lot, I guess the knockdown/positioning justifies the expense.

I think sometimes that's just early habits from players who are focusing on other areas of their game first - I feel like in the long game Chun is often going to want to save her meter for wakeup EX SBK and super, almost exclusively unless EX legs or an EX fireball extended combo will get you very close to ending a round. I might turn out to be dead wrong, of course!

cr.LP, cr.LP isn't a true blockstring for Chun anyway, it leaves a one frame gap, so I'd say if you're committing to a wakeup jab followed by buttons you should be going into st.MP anyway which is still only a three frame gap as a blockstring. If they are mashing an invincible move it would go through your second cr.LP anyway, and the three frame gap into a medium attack should beat pretty much anything else they try so is a better frame trap and leads to actually good things.

Theory fighter.

Yeah I'm trying so hard to get that cr.LP, st.MP into muscle memory.  Watching my match with Joffo back, I miss so many chances and the st.MP is so good at stuffing most buttons people try to mash out after a low jab. 

Alistarr, what's your preferred meaty with Chun?  st.MP? b+FP? 

Also, @jonny_rat those combos are decent, but a hard starting point imo! 

This video goes through hit confirm basics in about 2 mins. 

I'd practice hit confirming  something a little easier to begin with, like Ryu's target combo. 

1 hour ago, Patronsaint said:

EX SPD looks like it's throw invincible (random, irrelevant example) for the first 6 frames, 5 of which are start up. 

All other command throws look like they have 5 frames of start up, apart from Vega's (6). Normal throws are all 5 frames. 

Birdie EX SPD is 5 frames and throw invincible

Vegas command throws are all 6 frames and not throw invincible

Necallis command throws are all 8 frames and not throw invincible

Lauras regular command grabs are 6 frames and not throw invincible, her EX is about 26 frames and invincible to nothing either

Alex actually has good range on his lp powerbomb, has the nice ability to connect after two blocked jabs

28 minutes ago, dood said:

Alistarr, what's your preferred meaty with Chun?  st.MP? b+FP? 

I generally prefer to faff about, take an extra dash for which there isn't really time, and then mistime a random button which wouldn't have worked anyway. But as a general rule I'd say st.MP as a meaty, b+HP as a throw bait (walk up, step back, b+HP will crush throw tech attempts if done properly).

2 hours ago, JLM said:

Really excited for 8 man lobbies. Hope there's something going on tonight and that my internet co-operates!

I might be around late tonight, will post in here if and when I am. 

Went to the Nottingham group again last night and there was a mini tournament. Lost my first match to Willei, but then won 2 in losers before being knocked out. So that went a lot better than expected. Still huge holes in my game though, and I did drop a couple of combos that would have finished, thankfully in both cases I still won the round. A lot of it will come from playing more - need more hours in a day!

Seeing as I'd not played a fighting game against others, properly, offline in about 7 years I'm really enjoying Wednesday nights. I've even rearranged my work schedule so I can have a lie in the day after, instead if having about 5 hours sleep!

Also looking forward to tinkering with Alex tonight although my generic "I'm not a fan of charge characters" will probably apply. 

Now I've stopped being a big whiny crying bitch (apologies all) that Alex doesn't play like his 3S version , after spending a few hours with him I really like him now.  That new stun headbutt is great for going straight over projectiles.

Got to stop thinking that EX knee smash will scoop standing opponents off the floor like in 3S, it doesn't. His back and HP choke is also missing which I used to follow up a heavy flash chop for high stun damage. There's a combo in the trials to connect a standing HP into HP flash chop into Backdrop but online people seem to manage to block the  HP flash chop, then the drop will whiff leaving me open to damage. Do I just need to be quicker or is it not a guaranteed combo?

I can't seem to get any use of the Hyper Bomb though outside of stun state, it whiffs all the time. How can I tell if i'm at the correct range? It seemed so much easier in 2D. I'm using the LP version which is supposed to have the longest range, but I'm still not grabbing opponents.

Now I've stopped being a big whiny crying bitch (apologies all) that Alex doesn't play like his 3S version , after spending a few hours with him I really like him now.  That new stun headbutt is great for going straight over projectiles.

Got to stop thinking that EX knee smash will scoop standing opponents off the floor like in 3S, it doesn't. His back and HP choke is also missing which I used to follow up a heavy flash chop for high stun damage. There's a combo in the trials to connect a standing HP into HP flash chop into Backdrop but online people seem to manage to block the  HP flash chop, then the drop will whiff leaving me open to damage. Do I just need to be quicker or is it not a guaranteed combo?

I can't seem to get any use of the Hyper Bomb though outside of stun state, it whiffs all the time. How can I tell if i'm at the correct range? It seemed so much easier in 2D. I'm using the LP version which is supposed to have the longest range, but I'm still not grabbing opponents.

this from Joffo at about 6pm yesterday. 

@joffocakes: ‭@nathan_brown‬ I took a round off Problem X! Went out 2 losses to 1 win. 2 - 0 in Ultra. Jellum out late in lovers for V. Still in USFIV.

this from Joffo at about 6pm yesterday. 

@joffocakes: ‭@nathan_brown‬ I took a round off Problem X! Went out 2 losses to 1 win. 2 - 0 in Ultra. Jellum out late in lovers for V. Still in USFIV.