rllmuk
joffocakes

Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Seth Becomes Her

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/6/18129237/street-fighter-5-ads-sponsored-content

Costumes: Ad Style – Every character will have an Ad Style costume where the sponsored content will appear somewhere on their clothing or model

Loading Ads – A sponsor will appear in the versus screen before a battle – this will not affect loading screen times

Stage Ads – Some tournament stages feature a sponsor like the Ring of Power

Ick. 

I could understand it if they now made it free to play but to do that to paying customers is top tier wankery.

Apart from anything else, how many people who regularly play the game aren't already aware that there's a Capcom Pro Tour? It seems so odd to go in so heavy, way beyond the point of parody, for something which can't have much tangible benefit even in the best case scenario.

Is it just advertising something Capcom themselves run? Or are they opening their bums doors to big corporations?

I agree it's a horrible move, but I think you can just turn them off if you don't want the extra fight money they bring.

Aye, but someone on Reddit put it pretty well I think. 'You can take the fly out of your soup but you still might not want to eat it afterwards.'

It's the precedent it sets and the respect that it shows they have for the franchise which is the real problem. At times I've felt that many people have gone way over the top with the SFV hate but I find it hard to even play devil's advocate on this.

This has been one bad decision after another, sad to see the series go this way. It's just not a good product compared to other titles in the series.

37 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Apart from anything else, how many people who regularly play the game aren't already aware that there's a Capcom Pro Tour? It seems so odd to go in so heavy, way beyond the point of parody, for something which can't have much tangible benefit even in the best case scenario.

I'd imagine it's because they either haven't got any advertisers on board yet* so the Capcom Cup ads are essentially placeholders or because this update is just to test the waters for a future free-to-play update. That seems pretty likely to me since it coincided with the free trial of the game l and locked players out of certain modes. I'm surprised it wasn't made free to play earlier since it seems to be surviving on DLC sales alone.

Getting the negative press for the adverts out of the way now ahead of a more positive Capcom Cup announcement this weekend may be the plan however, while the background and loading screen adverts are as you'd expect, the stickers slapped unceremoniously onto skin are hilariously bad in their execution.

*Though the potential value of ad space will drop if the playerbase does.

Wasn't Street Fighter x Tekken going to be F2P? But Capcom got cold feet and that's where the shitty gems came from.

But yeah, this is just another terrible decision in a long line of terrible decisions. I hear the loading screen takes longer with ads on, is that right?

22 minutes ago, jiroczech said:

But yeah, this is just another terrible decision in a long line of terrible decisions. I hear the loading screen takes longer with ads on, is that right?

I can't imagine it won't add extra delays, surely it has to pull the ads from a server.

It’s not like paid for games haven’t had adverts in them before, but on the characters themselves is pretty poor/funny.

11 minutes ago, Jonster said:

It’s not like paid for games haven’t had adverts in them before, but on the characters themselves is pretty poor/funny.

They even replaced the iconic Heaven kanji on Akuma's back at the end of his super with a sticker ad apparently. 

"New" character announced: Kage (It's Evil Ryu with a new name). Out now!

Balance changes for Season 4 too. Chun Li's VSkill allows air attacks which are more damaging than from a regular jump. Bison has a new counter animation when he uses his VSkill on physical attacks, F.A.N.G has a glide move he can use to approach from the air and it's cancellable from EX Ryobenda and Alex can connect EX Knee on grounded opponents.

I guess we'll see more detailed changes soon.

No announcement of further Season 4 characters.