rllmuk
joffocakes

Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Seth Becomes Her

Bought Soulcalibur VI on Friday so of course I'm playing Street Fighter instead. Managed to win against a friendly rival (formerly known as Edinbulba) who usually thrashes me so that was nice:

The finale of that 2nd round was absolute filth.

Need a first to 5 against you Joffo.

The reduction of lag is an interesting one. At one time I was convinced it would change things but I think due to the priority system, footies will still be a thing of the past in favour of crashing range with a well timed dash.

One thing I read recently which I thought would be nice would be an extension on hurt boxes during recovery frames of heavies to make them easier to whiff punish. I think this could be a nice way to put risk to reward on CC in neutral 

• Upvote 1

On 24/10/2018 at 13:22, joffocakes said:

You'll still be missing the Season 3 characters. That pass is £24.99 for Sakura, Blanka, Cody, Falke, G and Sagat and hasn't yet gone on sale.

It went on sale for £16.74 yesterday, funnily enough. Think it's been around that once or twice before actually!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Goemon said:

The finale of that 2nd round was absolute filth.

Need a first to 5 against you Joffo.

The reduction of lag is an interesting one. At one time I was convinced it would change things but I think due to the priority system, footies will still be a thing of the past in favour of crashing range with a well timed dash.

One thing I read recently which I thought would be nice would be an extension on hurt boxes during recovery frames of heavies to make them easier to whiff punish. I think this could be a nice way to put risk to reward on CC in neutral 

Yeah a few sets would be fun! I have no idea how to defeat F.A.N.G because I never ever see him.

I think some potent normals having lingering hurtboxes would go some way to make them less of a nuisance mid-range. I'd rather it were the crush-countering normals which were crush counterable over invincible reversals to be honest. That would definitely discourage the neutral spam. In theory anyway; not actually. 

I really don't like that backdashes can be crush countered either. Mostly because it's still a very small punish window even when you get a read on your opponent's meaty throw and backdash to avoid it. I don't think they should have invincibility like SFIV but an air reset is punishment enough since the opponent retains pressure anyway. Plus Mika's corner nonsense is horrible and this would neuter it a little.

1 hour ago, Rsdio said:

It went on sale for £16.74 yesterday, funnily enough. Think it's been around that once or twice before actually!

You're right! I was looking on PSPrices and must have been on the wrong item. 

Punch planet’s solution to back dashes is a really nice happy medium for me. They get you airborne and have very limited invincibility, so you generally get air reset, but all the characters have certain normals that slam the opponent or have different properties if they hit an airborne opponent.

These attacks also have quite a few active  frames, so you can meaty with one of those and tag the back dash and put the opponent back in a difficult situation if you make that read.

So if you read a back dash and you’re right, you get a little bit of damage and maintain advantage. The opponent doesn’t fully escape the situation, but the defender doesn’t get utterly murdered for it to the point that it feels suicidal to use it. 

What’s nice about it in that game is that the game’s parry mechanic will beat those meaties too, so the attacker making a big read on the back dash is a commitment for them.

To combat this they can use light attacks to tag the back dash as it goes airborne and stay safer against parries.  The trade off is they’ll only get an air reset. The attacker gets a slightly advantageous situation but not as big as if he’d committed to the riskier read, and he gets less damage too. 

The defender doesn’t quite get out but they only suffer a small life loss and slightly unfavourable situation because the opponent only committed to a jab. 

Best implementation of both parties and back dashes in a fighting game for me. I know this isn’t the Punch Planet thread but this post was definitely relevant when I started it I swear. 

• Upvote 1

Red Bull Kumite 2018 Top-16 today.

10_rbksched02.jpg

Participants:

FOX|Tokido (Akuma)
Mouz|Problem X (M. Bison)
FD|Fujimura (Ibuki)
CYG|Daigo (Guile)
UYU|OilKing (Rashid)
RB|Luffy (R. Mika)
Liquid|Nemo (Urien)
RB|Bonchan (Sagat)
Rise|Smug (Balrog)
AB|Poongko (Abigail)
AB|Gunfight (Alex)
Filipino Champ (Dhalsim)
NASR|AngryBird (Zeku)
Talon|HotDog29 (M. Bison)
Vitality|JuniorLéo (Ken)
RB|Gachikun (Rashid)

Not a single Cammy in sight...

• Upvote 2

Did anyone watch this RB Kumite?

Had some absolutely excellent matches and is 100% worth seaking out.

One come back round from the beast is one of of the most amazing things you’re ever likely to see.

@joffocakes

Watch this. I don't know if this was a f**k up or he meant this setup (he drops the combo) but if it's legit to do psycho crusher into cross up super it's one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. At 7:03.

• Upvote 3

@JLM

Interesting take from James Chen on the need for proximity normals, which I think will resonate with you. I wasn't sure at first but some of the examples he shows are sound, I think this could definitely help neutral.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/6/18129237/street-fighter-5-ads-sponsored-content

Costumes: Ad Style – Every character will have an Ad Style costume where the sponsored content will appear somewhere on their clothing or model

Loading Ads – A sponsor will appear in the versus screen before a battle – this will not affect loading screen times

Stage Ads – Some tournament stages feature a sponsor like the Ring of Power

Ick. 

Apart from anything else, how many people who regularly play the game aren't already aware that there's a Capcom Pro Tour? It seems so odd to go in so heavy, way beyond the point of parody, for something which can't have much tangible benefit even in the best case scenario.

Aye, but someone on Reddit put it pretty well I think. 'You can take the fly out of your soup but you still might not want to eat it afterwards.'

It's the precedent it sets and the respect that it shows they have for the franchise which is the real problem. At times I've felt that many people have gone way over the top with the SFV hate but I find it hard to even play devil's advocate on this.

This has been one bad decision after another, sad to see the series go this way. It's just not a good product compared to other titles in the series.

37 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Apart from anything else, how many people who regularly play the game aren't already aware that there's a Capcom Pro Tour? It seems so odd to go in so heavy, way beyond the point of parody, for something which can't have much tangible benefit even in the best case scenario.

I'd imagine it's because they either haven't got any advertisers on board yet* so the Capcom Cup ads are essentially placeholders or because this update is just to test the waters for a future free-to-play update. That seems pretty likely to me since it coincided with the free trial of the game l and locked players out of certain modes. I'm surprised it wasn't made free to play earlier since it seems to be surviving on DLC sales alone.

Getting the negative press for the adverts out of the way now ahead of a more positive Capcom Cup announcement this weekend may be the plan however, while the background and loading screen adverts are as you'd expect, the stickers slapped unceremoniously onto skin are hilariously bad in their execution.

*Though the potential value of ad space will drop if the playerbase does.

Wasn't Street Fighter x Tekken going to be F2P? But Capcom got cold feet and that's where the shitty gems came from.

But yeah, this is just another terrible decision in a long line of terrible decisions. I hear the loading screen takes longer with ads on, is that right?

22 minutes ago, jiroczech said:

But yeah, this is just another terrible decision in a long line of terrible decisions. I hear the loading screen takes longer with ads on, is that right?

I can't imagine it won't add extra delays, surely it has to pull the ads from a server.

11 minutes ago, Jonster said:

It’s not like paid for games haven’t had adverts in them before, but on the characters themselves is pretty poor/funny.

They even replaced the iconic Heaven kanji on Akuma's back at the end of his super with a sticker ad apparently.