Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Oh, when Dan?

I forgot how much I loved Hill Side Plaza stage and music. SFV might have its flaws but reinstalling it feels like coming back home even though I have never played it seriously (forever bronze :lol:).

The game at 4k and with max antialiasing looks so good.

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

t also mentions that Oro will still be restricting himself to a single arm by challenging himself to keep a turtle balanced in the other. Very interested to see how they animate that; static like a bird's head while the rest of him flails wildly?

Interesting, does this mean he uses the turtle to do things or does he need to move it out of the way (ie tossing it in the air) before doing moves. Assuming he retains his original move set of course.

Looking forward to seeing it. The little incidental animations with Menat's crystal ball are excellent, a turtle only sweetens the deal.

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

Interesting, does this mean he uses the turtle to do things or does he need to move it out of the way (ie tossing it in the air) before doing moves. Assuming he retains his original move set of course.

I'm hoping for animations like this:

MainChicken.gif

Interesting rumour/leak from someone who has been correct on other Capcom insider information.

"The most basic gist of it is Street Fighter 6 was supposed to release next year, but it was not received well internally or with testers, there's this team mechanic the game was too focused on, the director (who was Ono) got demoted again and someone else put in charge to 'fix' Street Fighter 6 with an additional year in development, and the new season pass is to buy time for that."

Problems with SF6 is a good shout as to why this new season has appeared.

I’m not sure about the Ono info, as I’m not sure how you go from Exec Producer to Director. They’re pretty different roles and there’s no way you can do both, but who knows the internal workings of the company. One thing I do know is that Ono is the face of Street Fighter so it would be dangerous to ditch him.

Apparently the rumour is that team battle mechanics were core in some way but Capcom weren't satisfied with that direction? So now Ono is producer in the esports division and apparently Midori Yuasa has stepped in to look after Street Fighter 6 (with the fixes to the game's direction "doing wonders"). I'm prepared to wait a little longer for it if it means it's not as limited as SFIV and SFV were at launch.

Hasn't Ono been the one standing in the way of new thinking and a fresh take moving forward? Despite his cute Blanka shtick. Just wondering since we finally got some one-on-one with the people behind the game sharing their thoughts. Not something we've been accustomed to. Not much this time around but with a promise of further updates down the line.

Don't like the sound of making main series SF team based. It works really well for spin off/cross over games but I think it's quite a drastic departure for the main games. I hope they've ditched that idea.

Ooh, I would have liked a team battle fighter with team battling as its focus. For all of the jank, Pair Play in SFxT and 6-player DBFZ can be quite fun, but they're always separate distractions rather than the intended way to play...

And if something's too much of a departure then they should just make it a new SF spin-off, or a new thing completely outside of SF...

EDIT:

2 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I'm prepared to wait a little longer for it if it means it's not as limited as SFIV and SFV were at launch.

Yes! Nobody wants another SFV launch clusterfuck. :( 

Yeah I really loved it in SFXT, for a spin off game like that I think it's great. Even with Tekken they keep the tag games as a separate spin off series because the main series games are kept somewhat traditional. Maaaan SFX ended up being so good by the end of its life, but far too much damage had been done with the gems and the on disc DLC and the netcode and the overall unfinished/jankiness of the thing for the first year. Releasing unfinished games full of in-app purchases that aren't actually any good until a year later is the norm now though. Strekken was just ahead of its time.

I definitely agree that SF6 needs to stay 1 on 1.
If you lose that then it becomes something else, not necessarily bad, but something else. 

All I remember about SFxT was Inflitration LP’ing everyone to death with Rolento.

My main memory of SFxT was that any attempt to block Rolento's throwing knife would cause the game to hard-lock. The ultimate unblockable.

Oh, and that it had the gaudiest custom-colour designs ever. Which I consider a positive.

I'm not convinced by that stuff about Ono honestly, my understanding is he's only ever really been a figurehead, doesn't actually get into the weeds of it at all. I also don't buy them going all-in on a team battle mechanic in a mainline game, especially after SFXT died so quickly (sob). Nothing wrong with bringing in a fresh pair of eyes and pushing the game back, though, I hope they've learned from SFV the importance of getting this stuff right from the start.

I wonder if it was something like it still technically being 1-on-1 but you could choose another character's assist as the unique mechanic? So basically everyone gets a Mika/Nadeshiko type thing? Probably worth sacking off purely to avoid the balancing nightmare if it was something along those lines, though I suppose you could limit the choices to two or three characters that make sense in the lore or whatever and it wouldn't be much different to having multiple V-system choices.

Still hoping they go back to basics and with a more 'feel' based game next time personally.

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

The leaker went into more detail about this on Era - talked about the relationship between the Producer and Director roles within the teams at Capcom and I don't think it contradicts your understanding, but that the Producer can make demands against the Directors wishes, and this caused them problems with RE2make - and again with SF6. You'd have more insight than most into the legitimacy of this stuff though and Era rumours should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yeah the meaning of 'producer' and 'director' is very different in Japan to the west and different studios seem to have different interpretations of it too. I'm only going on what I heard like three or four years ago so things could well have changed since then. The team battle thing still sounds very odd, mind.

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

This is free to play on Steam this weekend.

The trial should be for two weeks in total, I've updated the title to reflect that. Even though it means removing the Alan Partridge reference.

:( shame, he was a great personality to have in the fgc. 

I don’t know exactly how much he was actually involved in creating the games, 5 might not have been the success they wanted it to be after 4, but it’s still great.

I’ll miss him.

• joffocakes changed the title to Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Oh, when Dan?