rllmuk
joffocakes

Street Fighter V Champion Edition - 14th February 2020

I've updated the first post with a reminder that adding players' Capcom Fighters Network IDs to your Favourites is very useful as their names (and current in-game status) will then appear when using the Battle Lounge's Invite option.

You can also view profiles and watch their recent replays (I think almost all online matches are saved automatically). There's an option to add custom tags per-user too; I began adding a "rllmuk" tag for everyone on the google doc. It seems that tags can't be added in a batch but it'll be useful for sorting and filtering players.

Here's the google doc again, to save folk going back to the first post:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cG1PgB907_GYX0TuALQFNFxfFvZV7asXSiqYNWaoeoc/edit?rm=full#gid=2024691987

I've not had much chance to play the game this weekend so far but I managed to record a short video of my daft head and my in-progress Ken:

• Upvote 7

Apparently my specific brand of router has some issues for other players... FUCK'S SAKE. I might be able to wangle a new one off Sky (who took over my previous provider, I didn't choose Murdoch), but that's not happening soon.

AAAGH.

momochi has started doing some tutorial videos now.

his throw tech stuff is a bit tricky, but theres some good basic things too. i forgot you could get up in different ways. and i dont think i've ever actually done a v-reversal yet.

i also noticed a lot of nash players when i went through adding everybody to my favourites list.

i was totally thinking the grab is awful as it has about ten minutes start up on it. i cant do any of this stuff yet, but it looks good.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, joeplus said:

Apparently my specific brand of router has some issues for other players... FUCK'S SAKE. I might be able to wangle a new one off Sky (who took over my previous provider, I didn't choose Murdoch), but that's not happening soon.

AAAGH.

OK actually I did wangle a new one and it might arrive tomorrow. Sky's customer service is always good to me, it makes it very difficult to hate them.

I've been online all morning on ranked and it's working real nice. I'm shit and it's mostly Ryus but it's been good fun. They made hitting other people so much fun.

When this works, it's the best online beat up I have ever played. The second to second net code feels fantastic. It's the match making they have to really sort out.

6 1/2 Hours on it last night. Absolutely superb game.....loving the long term prospects on this, absolutely nailed the character balance and mechanics. Shame about the first week issues and lack of game modes but it's coming....

What's up with the weird speccled looking self shadowing though, that's just plain odd.

I saw someone mention the Hori 4 mini, has anyone here used it/can recommend it? Back in the day I went all out and bought the TE stick, barely gave it a chance due to the huge setup and quickly sold it. I never did twig with the stick but want to learn, seems like it would be a good place to start, no? 

I think I've managed to improve from "utterly useless" to "merely incompetent" thanks to the basic tips from the last few pages. But now I've hit a brick wall that I'd like some help getting over...

I'm just playing as Ryu until I get half decent at it. I've done easy survival but on normal survival I can consistently get to stage 26 (I've done it three times in a row now, last time with a few perfect rounds on the way), but that stage is another Ryu who just destroys me every time. He just rushes in and starts hitting me with combos and I struggle to do anything in return. I can't get anything out in between his flurry of attacks. So what should I be doing against such an an opponent who's right in your face with a barrage of combos who won't give you space or time to do anything?

29 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I don't get Cammy's hit properties at all, i'm crouch blocking and all her specials still seem to hit me. Her V-skill with the mid-direction change is a massive pain in the arse to boot.

Really? I'm a Cammy player and I keep finding her spiral arrow gets blocked quite a lot which then leaves me open to a battering. 

I've had a really good run of games today, got to ultra bronze and fought 5 cammys and lost to them all. I know i'm blocking low , does the ex version of spiral arrow hit overhead or something? once they catch me with that I get slapped around something fierce

3 hours ago, Floex said:

I saw someone mention the Hori 4 mini, has anyone here used it/can recommend it? Back in the day I went all out and bought the TE stick, barely gave it a chance due to the huge setup and quickly sold it. I never did twig with the stick but want to learn, seems like it would be a good place to start, no? 

No, not at all. it and the madcatz alpha stick are garbage and break in no time at all. 

21 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

No, not at all. it and the madcatz alpha stick are garbage and break in no time at all. 

Shame, as I was in the same boat. I'll be in Japan for Easter and was thinking of picking up the HRAPV Hayabusa as my first arcade stick (not just for SF but Metal Slug and Darius, etc.) as it's quite a bit cheaper compared to over here. At the same time I'm not usually a stick player so felt the Hori Mini might be a good cheap choice for testing the waters. Perhaps not? I'll be picking up a Hori FC game pad anyway as I've always been a pad user for beat 'em ups but the OCD in me is constantly wondering if I'm playing the 'right' way. Silly I know.

Bit of advice needed - how should I be using command throws? Necalli's (QCB + P) has a tiny range and if I try to link into it from a Lp or Lk then I hit my opponent away beyond its reach. It also can't be used for teching as a genuine grab will always win out over a command move. Any tips?

To put you at ease slightly, there is no "right way" when it comes to choosing between pad and stick. I will say that the FC3 is an amazing pad though. The HRAPV is GINORMOUS as a warning, so you will want to make sure you have loads of space in your luggage to get it home.

Speaking of sticks, does anyone know someone who has experience modding PCB boards? I'm torn at the moment between buying the Brook's board for my old TE stick, or buying the new TE 2 stick. However, I have next to no experience with regards to soldering, so if I'm going to spend 100 dollars on a new PCB board, I'd like to find someone who knows how to solder these things put it together for me!

Shame to hear, seemed like a good beginner stick. Just not going to throw down a ton of money again for something I will probably rarely use. I still might try it out, seen it for around the £30 mark. 

Played 30 ranked games today (got the trophy for waiting for matches) and when this is working properly it's just fucking brilliant isn't it. I think I've played it more than SF4 already.

I haven't seen a single person use a V-Reversal online today, I did a couple myself but other than the knock back effect, didn't seem to offer much opportunity to follow up. 

Re: Pixelbark

Ha ha, cheers! It has crossed my mind how I'm going to have to explain to the wife the suspicious box taking up half the suitcase. I'll explain it away as a present for my mum.

I realise the whole pad vs stick thing has been done to death, and like I say I wouldn't just be using it for Street Fighter, but it does seem to me sometimes that the best players on here and elsewhere are stick users.

A majority of the best players are on stick. We've had evo winners in SF, Marvel and Arksys fighters who played pad. 

Would this be your first time using a stick? If so, before making the big investment, see if you can find one locally to try out.

4 hours ago, Darren said:

I think I've managed to improve from "utterly useless" to "merely incompetent" thanks to the basic tips from the last few pages. But now I've hit a brick wall that I'd like some help getting over...

I'm just playing as Ryu until I get half decent at it. I've done easy survival but on normal survival I can consistently get to stage 26 (I've done it three times in a row now, last time with a few perfect rounds on the way), but that stage is another Ryu who just destroys me every time. He just rushes in and starts hitting me with combos and I struggle to do anything in return. I can't get anything out in between his flurry of attacks. So what should I be doing against such an an opponent who's right in your face with a barrage of combos who won't give you space or time to do anything?

It's hard to give advice against AI as there's often no logic in what they're doing. I find that for most survival stages you can just neutral jump next to them, and land with jumping hard punch, crouching hard punch, light kick tatsu. Dash up close and repeat.

The harder AI Ryu will shoryuken you out of the air more often (I've found that Laura does this too, and Vega will air throw a lot) so it's best to start grounded until you score a knockdown. I crouchblock and wait for him to attempt a shoryuken. Punish that (with sweep if you want to keep it simple) then repeat the neutral jumping hard punch spam. You want to time it so its hitting as he wakes up. This will absolutely not be viable in a real match but it'll clobber the AI ok.

You can always use the Defense Boost supplement if you know a difficult opponent is next; I find that buying yourself that allowance for a couple of extra mistakes is more worthwhile than doing additional damage.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Played 30 ranked games today (got the trophy for waiting for matches) and when this is working properly it's just fucking brilliant isn't it. I think I've played it more than SF4 already.

I haven't seen a single person use a V-Reversal online today, I did a couple myself but other than the knock back effect, didn't seem to offer much opportunity to follow up. 

V-Reversal isn't designed to allow follow-up attacks; it's mostly a way to stop opponents' pressure. Another big benefit of it is that you'll automatically recover a chunk (15%, maybe?) of your stun gauge when you execute on successfully.

I dont excuse it and still stand by my grumblings of how i'm disappointed by the content. But it is making me explore and research more whilst training, finding target combo's and links has been really rather enjoyable. Just wish they would hurry up and fix the loading, it really is a game breaker at the moment.

Once I read up on the initial incompatibility, and Sony's stance, on the PS3 sticks on the PS 4 (which I still find disgusting by the way) I sold my PS3 TE while it was still worth some money. 

With some of the proceeds I re-invested in a Hori FC4 pad that works on PS3/PS4. I was never the greatest stick player anyway, I can be a little better on the D-pad. What was important was the six button configuration for the L/M/H kicks and punches though. Using L1/R1 on a normal pad is crippling. 

412ypY7GgpL._SX425_.jpg

• Upvote 1