IGNORED

Suicide Squad - Will Smith, Margot Robbie & Jared Leto

Goose

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

If we lived in a world where every director's cut was akin to the Kingdom of Heaven one in terms of how much it improved a film, well, that'd be a world worth living in. 

I only ever managed to see the Theatrical, hated it at the time. Worth paying a visit to the DC? Probably been long enough to forget all the gubbins.

On 14/08/2016 at 22:32, Sledge said:

To me, DC's emerging problem is the quality of their source material..

I think you've probably called it, Marvel can take even obscure comic books only comic book fans have heard of and make successful products out of them, while outside of the big 2 DC characters, they've failed to do the same. A mere glance at the box office rankings for both company's comic book roster shows the massive disparity in success, you don't even need Marvel themselves to do it as Fox and Sony have managed to create successful products using Marvel comics.

The Kingdom of Heaven director's cut is so much better than the theatrical cut that there isn't even a comparison. I hated the film when I saw it at the cinema, I love the director's cut. Totally changes the film. It goes from a shitty action adventure film to the sweeping historical epic it was meant to be. 

4 hours ago, Ste_S said:

It should be noted that the CW shows do amazingly well with the minor 'quirky' DC villians such as Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold, Heatwave, King Shark etc

Duly noted -- I don't think the parody characters were there for fan-service though. Rather the writer(s) thought the squad needed a redshirt, I'd wager.

The movie basically cheated its way into my good books with its copperlist colour scheme anyway.:D

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

I wonder what it would have made if all the nerds who are invested in these characters went back to see it multiple times if it was good.

Good for them, and more power to their arm etc. I've got no problem at all with someone expecting to like a thing paying good money to enjoy it. But that's not been the common experience, has it. (I'm not saying SS is good or bad, incidentally - I have no intention on paying money to find out if I like it, so will wait until it turns up on Netflx or wherever.)

People keep complaining that WB (in particular) never learn - why won't they make better movies??!! Because they don't need to.

Thought this was dreadful at worst and a boring mess at best.

I didn't care about any of the characters and the film did a terrible job of trying to sell them as a bad crew; as has been pointed out, Deadshot was painted almost as a vigilante on the side of good, rather than a ruthless killer. Harley Quinn wasn't actually shown doing anything to suggest why she should be in there the first place and so it goes on. Even Boomerang was a criminal murdering other criminals and in the context of the film, who would really think that's particularly reprehensible?

I struggle to find any redeeming qualities in it frankly - other than Robbie bringing some effervescence to proceedings - but it isn't enough to make this fun, engaging or interesting.

I did sort of misread that, thanks for the correction. But then, I still think it misses the point.

I'm no expert in finding box office takings, so this might just be way off, but a 10 second Google implies of the first set of Marvel movies, only Avengers made more money. So why bother making them good?

Heh, I was so bored by this I didn't even notice that 

Spoiler

El Diablo died!

That video above also touches on something I thought at the time, namely

Spoiler

that if they valued their freedom so much and are such bad folks, why not cap Waller when they have the chance?

The whole movie is those questions though. Why assemble a squad to fight super people and fill it with people without super powers? Why assemble an illegal squad of criminals and then send them on a mission that could easily be ordered and carried out by regular soldiers? Why make a film about villains then spend all your time making them sympathetic and heroic? Why waste half a movie on flashbacks when most of your characters don't have a story arc so it doesn't really matter where they come from? Why pay attention to what years of experimentation and research have suggested are sensible ways to plan and create a movie?

11 hours ago, Broker said:

The whole movie is those questions though. Why assemble a squad to fight super people and fill it with people without super powers? Why assemble an illegal squad of criminals and then send them on a mission that could easily be ordered and carried out by regular soldiers? Why make a film about villains then spend all your time making them sympathetic and heroic? Why waste half a movie on flashbacks when most of your characters don't have a story arc so it doesn't really matter where they come from? Why pay attention to what years of experimentation and research have suggested are sensible ways to plan and create a movie?

If I was assembling a team of ultimate badasses for starters I wouldn't pick Captain Boomerang. He's fucking useless. 

11 hours ago, Broker said:

Well yes, exactly. The film makes little sense, but some bits make even less sense than others.

"What if Superman had been a terrorist? Just doing super terror on us? What would we have done? How could we possibly deal with terror that super?"

"Ms Waller, I see what you're saying, but do you think we can find a clown who's that sexy?!"

2 hours ago, Stevedave said:

Plus the threat is paranormal / magic so why assemble a bunch people with no powers at all  - one of whom's only skill is throwing a boomerang. 

I don't know anything about the comics, but isn't this a problem there as well?

Also in this movie: Magic, ancient monsters.

I'm not saying you should let any film off the hook just because it's a fantasy, but you can't criticise a Suicide Squad film for having characters from the Suicide Squad in it, no matter how conceptually daft it is.

30 minutes ago, Fury4k said:

I don't know anything about the comics, but isn't this a problem there as well?

Not really they're more just a black ops group of deniable expendable assets. Rather than being explicitly set up as the answer to 'What if Snyderverse Superman was even more if an arsehole than he already is.'

29 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

Also in this movie: Magic, ancient monsters.

I'm not saying you should let any film off the hook just because it's a fantasy, but you can't criticise a Suicide Squad film for having characters from the Suicide Squad in it, no matter how conceptually daft it is.

Why? There are a hundred ways you could have better explained and justified their existence, or they could have used some of the other 5 million DC villains with actual powers. It's not so much the fact that they're in it, more the hamfisted and thoughtless way it's put together.