Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

deKay

It was pretty good after all the bug fixes and optimizations honestly. And I found Arno to be a more interesting character than the Syndicate twins.

Unfortunately, it also suffers from an AC3-style unbearably handholdy and above all slow start. After an hour of absolutely no fun carrying out tedious tasks as some aristocratic prick, I gave up on the game. I'm assuming that he got more interesting as the game went on, but I didn't get far enough to see that, so that was that.

(Jacob was a bit of a nob too, but as I spent the vast majority of the game playing as Evie that didn't bother me too much, plus, you know, the game actually opens with a bang)

I’m enjoying this – sort of, it’s like chewing gum or popping bubble wrap while reading a beautiful coffee table book of London architecture - but one of my main beefs is how violent it is. Pretty much the first thing you do in the game is gruesomely stab some hapless goon in the neck and face, and it fits quite badly in with the swashbuckling Empire feel the developers are going for – there are no non-lethal options whatsoever that I can see (outside of the bare-knuckle boxing sections), so every fight just ends with you repeatedly stabbing your opponent in the eye, like a fucking nutter.

There’s not even any penalty for killing the police, which is doubly weird given that you’re working with them on some missions. They don’t even try very hard to establish that the police are super-corrupt agents of the Templars, they’re just these pests that occasionally attack you, giving you no option but to stab them in the throat.

ACII gave you the option of duffing up your opponents and leaving them unconscious, which massively helped in the roleplaying stakes – you could teach random thugs a lesson by giving them a biff on the conk, while still leaving lethal force as an option in case some ruffians overstepped the mark. In this, all you do is kill members of the public. It’s like Flashman written by James Ellroy, which admittedly sounds like the best thing ever now that I’ve written it down, but this sadly doesn’t fulfil the promise of that brief, and just feels a bit jarring.

Also, they need to get Rocksteady in to consult on how the grappling hook should work. In this, it’s bafflingly inconsistent, and appears to mostly lock onto things that are behind you.

If you walk up behind someone, you can hold B ( on an Xbox pad anyway ) to knock them out.

As for the violence, I didn't find it an issue, I spent the first 20 or so hours just running round hijaking carts once that appeared and taking over the city, only then did I start doing the proper missions and the ones for Darwin etc, maybe I just play these games wrong, but I always try to get to full strength as quickly as possible so I don't have to sneak about, cba with all the stealth stuff really.

If you walk up behind someone, you can hold B ( on an Xbox pad anyway ) to knock them out.

This only works outside of combat doesn't it?

It was one of main gripes with the game, that there wasn't a non-lethal way to end a fight you might have got in to by accident.

The secret set of

WW1 levels were a nice surprise, but they really emphasise how weirdly and non-optionally ultraviolent this game is. The very first mission has you infiltrating an army post, manned by British soldiers; you almost inevitably get into conflict with them, and equally almost-inevitably, end up stabbing them to death because there are no non-lethal options once you’re in open combat.

One of the collectables in this section are letters home from British soldiers, that stress the futility of war. So on the one hand, you’re reading tear-jerking letters from soon-to-be killed British Tommies to their parents, totally naïve about the human extermination machine they’re about to be pointlessly chucked into, and on the other hand you’re brutally killing those same Tommies because they got in the way of you opening a treasure chest.

As for the bare knuckle sections, I found them to be really brutal. They've really gone for the break, dislocate, maim sort of move set, and I feel a bit queasy playing the bare knuckle sections. The violence is definitely dialled up in this version with the double, triple and quad kills, which are a bit flamboyant to say the least.

Although it is good to see Evie besting 10 men in the ring.

• 2 months later...

Late to the party enjoying this on my PC at the moment. My computer crashes if I unplug the controller after playing, and I had to reinstall once when I broke the game downloading DLC while playing, but otherwise I have had a good experience with limited bugs and crashes. This game caught my by surprise, I like it way more than I thought I would. I have had no problems with the hook. It just has a slower pace than batman in how you use it. But that is fine. The game does feel a bit bloated thought in that there are twice as many of anything as there should be (loyalty missions, collectibles, main story missions, etc) My last AC was Black Flag and the number of improvements in UI movement and environment navigation (lol) are outstanding. They did away with hiding in bushes though, what's up with that?

• 8 months later...

Not long started this having grown bored of AC around Revelations, although did dip back in for Black Flag. It's actually pretty decent. It won't convert anyone to the series but worth a look if you ever enjoyed the earlier games. The location is great, enjoying interacting with famous London dwellers and landmarks (the House of Parliment and area around it looks fantastic and the Thames is perfectly brown).

Agree about the violence, stealth seems a bit of an afterthought so far but steaming in to a stronghold with a mob is pretty enjoyable anyway. When I have gone stealth most of the public appear to deride me ("bit old for hide 'n seek isn't she?") so sticking with cold violence. I even shot a horse. I felt dreadful :(

Good, solid fun, glad I picked it up.

A few more hours in and this is becoming one of my favourite open-world settings. Having a break from the series reduced a lot of the frustrations familiarity brings too.

More rounded than Black Flag, comfortably the most enjoyable since Brotherhood. Hopefully Ubisoft can maintain the upward curve with the next iteration and not go back to annual updates.

• 4 months later...

I've completed Syndicate this week. Only, I haven't.

I killed the End Guy, and have taken over London, but... no credit sequence. No more sequences have opened up. There's no obvious green marker on the map.

Not that I'm looking forward to the usual 90 minutes of Ubicredits, but I want closure. What do I have to do to complete it? I have side missions left, but they're optional, no? Surely I don't have to do all of them?

24 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I thought I'd completed it too but then discovered that Sony had moneyhatted the Arthur Conan Doyle missions. A great big chunk of game play ripped out and denied to non PS4 players. Cunts.Faaakkkkinnng Caaaaanttttsssss.

<cough>forza dlc and microtransactions</cough>

shame though, cos the ACD stuff is immense. Proper investigations, even better than "follow the clues" stuff in the batman games. Seriously, the best part of unity too:

go to area

scan area

find clue

follow clue

deduction

accusation

profit

and that end game, animus-tastic!

(And the JtR DLC is recommended too, if only for "deptford")