SeanR

Another ZX Spectrum device indiegogo fundraiser

a 33 minute video where he blames George for everything?

tragic.

i don't even get a mention do i? :(

I somehow managed 3 minutes.

What is it about the Spectrum scene that creates so much bile and bad blood? I don't see this with the C64 guys. It really is sad.

• Upvote 1

Yeah,  (the scene / community) is a bit of a car crash but also strangely compulsive viewing. 

There are two ‘main’ Spectrum Facebook groups in the UK from what I can see which in my view sums up the issues

Spectrum For Everyone - a group that allows Vega Discussion more or less. Lee Fogarty has apparently made legal threats to them or the admin (note - stress apparently). Preston is banned from this group. There have been allegations that he bought (or got it for free) some hardware from a member then sold it on as a profit  (or possibly another group) if I recall, there was also an allegation that Preston called a members employer to shit stir.

Spectrum For Ever / Spectrum4ever 

This group has banned all zxvega chat. You may get banned for even starting a thread. This group as a high proportion of ‘pro Vega’ people. Lee Fogarty and strangely Suzanne Martin are members (Martin is the PR ‘expert’ for RCL)  Preston was an admin there (as @seanr knows ;) ) but is no longer.

There are a load load of fake accounts on twitter revolving around the zxvega tag. There are some that push it too far as well (photoshopping) etc

But IMO the zxvega debacle has just added fuel to the fire...

So, what’s everyones fave Speccy game?  ;) 

This thing is frustrating in that I keep thinking ‘that c64 mini is great. Why hasn’t anyone done a spectrum version?.... oh yes. I remember now’.

Jetpac.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to chicken out and give a top five, because number one changes so damn often, so....

Midnight Resistance
Robocop

Navy Moves

Feud

Target: Renegade

The trouble is, there's a group of Speccy games I love equally, and to round that list off, I'd easy add, Ollie & Lisa, Fantasy World Dizzy, Kings Keep, SWIV and Chase HQ.

Spoiler

That vid is a stream of crazy though. At one point he bemoans somebody putting a pepper up his wife to make fun of her, then he goes on about dicks, arses and bums for five minutes, and the pregnant pauses... it's all excruciatingly painful. Just leave him be, everyone please. I honestly don't care what hash tag he uses, this is a guy with some pretty fundamental issues going on, just let him be and if he sticks his nose where it isn't welcome, just blank him. I can't imagine anything coming from taking a pop at him, if he wants to just put out the odd video of his beloved old computer, just let him get on with it, in a vacuum if necessary, but just leave him be, he's clearly not right.

19 hours ago, Vimster said:

What is it about the Spectrum scene that creates so much bile and bad blood? I don't see this with the C64 guys. It really is sad.

The C64 scene is much bigger though, so there's never really been a "leadership vacuum". It's not a coincidence that both Preston and Fogarty got into their positions in 2014 before the resurgence of interest in the Spectrum that we see today.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Ghostbusters 2!

Really? That’s the game that taught me, at a young age, to be very very wary of licenced games, as I paid £5 of saved pocket money for it, and it was an enormous turd. 

For me, I can still play Chaos, Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner or Auf Wiedersehen Monty with every bit as much enjoyment as I did three decades ago, so one/all of them. 

5 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Really? That’s the game that taught me, at a young age, to be very very wary of licenced games, as I paid £5 of saved pocket money for it, and it was an enormous turd. 

For me, I can still play Chaos, Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner or Auf Wiedersehen Monty with every bit as much enjoyment as I did three decades ago, so one/all of them. 

I don't know if Lorf is being ironic or not. :lol: Buuuut, I loved it. I thought the first bit down the sewers was tricky but fun, whilst the whole Statue Of Liberty section was a great take on the scene. Graphics were great too, with the Statue Of Liberty being really well done. The final bit in the museum was a bit more of a mix, with it being somewhat ambiguous what you actually had to do at points, but once it clicked, it was actually a nice little race against time strategy / puzzle thing.

6 hours ago, deKay said:

Run Baby Run.

It's not just my favourite Spectrum game, it's the best game ever made.

interesting. don't think I've ever played this. 

couldn't pick a fav speccy game. so much variety and different styles of game...  however my fav speccy footy sim is without doubt Emlyn Hughes International Soccer

On 08/04/2018 at 16:13, Alexlotl said:

Hop on to YouTube and search for “Iain Lee Ghostbusters 2”.

• Upvote 1

INDIEGOGO Campaign Owners' Handbook, Page 29:

"If you give your backers an estimated shipping date of April - and stress that you cannot be more precise than that - make sure you go completely silent when April rolls round. Any attempt to update backers during April will be treated as a serious breach of contract."

ah, that explains it...

• Upvote 4

Is it actually April that it’s supposed to be released? I’m sure i read somewhere that Indiegogo have given them until May before they send the boys in?!

Maybe this isn’t helping them. Rumours that it’s Fogarty’s court case against RCL.

LOL

AFBE9BFF-DE7C-4CE2-963F-2C7500465C19.jpeg

Ahh, cool. 

Meanwhile, they are alive as they are apparently deleting ‘critical’ comments from their official Facebook page.

Priorities innit