SeanR

Another ZX Spectrum device indiegogo fundraiser

Reading the interview in RG last month, it still baffles me that they went this route. The amount of games it will render unplayable is still sizeable. Even with the extra four buttons you're still miles from an easy workable solution (a virtual onscreen keyboard sounds tedious).

I was also surprised to read that they waited to announce it publicly before approaching *any* rights holder about licensing their game, for fear someone would leak the information on the device before they announced it themselves.

I reckon they should team up with Elite. Use the Elite produced keyboard with their own tech.

None of which makes a difference if the games aren't there. RG speculate that they really need Ultimate stuff on their (never happening legally) along with Ocean's back catalogue (which as they rightly state, almost certainly means no arcade or film licensed stuff).

None of which makes a difference if the games aren't there. RG speculate that they really need Ultimate stuff on their (never happening legally) along with Ocean's back catalogue (which as they rightly state, almost certainly means no arcade or film licensed stuff).

That'll be about 5 Ocean games on there then.

It just needs a way of getting your own games on there (which I think is has right?) then it would just need to be a full sized spectrum replica, I wouldn't care if it was andoid or reverse engineered because Spectrum emulation is so close to indistinguishable that - I can't tell the difference. Then I would pay £100 for this.

It just needs a way of getting your own games on there (which I think is has right?) then it would just need to be a full sized spectrum replica, I wouldn't care if it was andoid or reverse engineered because Spectrum emulation is so close to indistinguishable that - I can't tell the difference. Then I would pay £100 for this.

Absolutely spot on. Although they need to also stick a USB port for joystick support...

Would love to see a Spectrum version of those fami-clones.

The Guardian have a new article about it which actually mentions some of the confirmed games. These are Hungry Horace, Desert Patrol 3D, BMX Ninja, Tank Command, Bear Bovver and Flight Simulator. According to Retro Computers latest update on IndieGoGo they'll be publishing the full list on 11th May.

I hope they're not the games they're leading with when pushing the machine. Nothing against Hungry Horace (2nd game I ever played on my own machine) but it wouldn't instill me to purchase one.

The Guardian have a new article about it which actually mentions some of the confirmed games. These are Hungry Horace, Desert Patrol 3D, BMX Ninja, Tank Command, Bear Bovver and Flight Simulator. According to Retro Computers latest update on IndieGoGo they'll be publishing the full list on 11th May.

So one of the confirmed games is unplayable as there aren't enough buttons? Amazing.

Bear Bovver is absolutely not confirmed.

Their licensing method appears to be send an email to devs and if they don't get a response, they assume it's been accepted.

Bear Bovver is absolutely not confirmed.

Their licensing method appears to be send an email to devs and if they don't get a response, they assume it's been accepted.

I think they stated as much.

Developers should be getting in touch with publications which have been covering this sorry mess. I do think they should chase up the company and shine a spotlight on all this. Any chance of you bringing it up in rg strider?

• Upvote 2

There seems to be another developer trying to find out who to contact on the Vega team as some of his games are currently being used without his permission. I don't think he's head over heels in love with them.

I also hear that Realtime (Starstrike, etc) have also refused Vega permission to use their games. Not sure how accurate these details are.

There are several on that list that are quite clearly licensed or too complicated to negotiate - Back 2 Skool and Buggy Boy immediately stand out. What a sham.

I'm more than happy to allow them use the games, with the money going to charity, but just feel the way they are going about it is just rubbish and it's that that's putting me off.

This charity thing has muddied the waters. This is a box full of software being sold for profit. An arbitrary amount has been earmarked as royalties which is optionally donated to charity. So "the money" isn't going to charity - just a token amount designed to shame devs into not claiming a royalty. I the meantime these people are making a profit from all this software. Remove the games and the market for this machine disappears - it would just be hobbyists who can be bothered to download and install games.

• Upvote 3

Why aren't more devs/IP holders calling them out in this? I don't see the whole charity thing being a PR hurdle, as it's obvious to most that it's a smokescreen?

• Upvote 1

I'd say it's largely ignorance.

I remember years ago when someone was putting together a documentary for a popular 8-bit game. They eventually tracked down the new owners only to be told it wasn't anything to do with them. When he showed them the information and that they did own the game in question they suddenly wanted several thousands of pounds for it to be used.

Another issue comes down to the actual rights. It often seems to be unclear whether the original developers actually own the games in question, or if they just think they do. I'd imagine Jon might be able to give a lot more insight into this. A lot of developers would work as freelancers back in the day, so is their game still owed by them or the company that asked them to make it?

It appears to be a massive legal minefield and it appears that it's being taken advantage of. I don't like this internet style approach of just doing whatever the hell you like and then trying to sort it out afterwards if you're eventually found out. We were supposed to be doing a follow-up piece on Elite's Spectrum, but upon hearing the same stuff is supposedly happening it makes me just want to wait until the review stage.

I know for example that Rebellion apparently own a lot of the Hewson games so it could be that they have secured permission. Time to do some more digging.

Offered? Taken.

I did say supposedly. :P It's a bit ballsy of them to declare that copyright holders have offered them titles if that isn't actually the case. Or plain stupid.

I've doubted them being able to get the rights to that many games from the start and I still can't believe it. As strider suggests I suspect there could be cases where permission has been given by a party not in the position to do so.

It could be the case that they've taken the lot without permission, but they won't be able cry ignorance as they've already made a thing about wanting to acquire permission.

Apparently the "Buggy Boy" on the list is NOT the famous Elite conversion of the arcade game, but a lesser known game that just happens to have the same name...