SeanR

Another ZX Spectrum device indiegogo fundraiser

https://www.wired.com/story/steve-bannon-gaming-conference-saga/?fbclid=IwAR3hK9iH601_6EBwQ3hy7Md6y5TjG2qxOD40wQS0uw60jB01sGeLpv7CMMg

The Weird Saga of the Gaming Conference Hosting Steve Bannon

While he was in the White House, Bannon reportedly helped craft a number of the Trump administration’s anti-immigrant policies, including the 2017 so-called Muslim ban. Breitbart, where Bannon was executive chairman, also played an instrumental role in GamerGate, the years-long harassment campaign against progressive figures in tech journalism and video games. People identifying as GamerGate supporters often railed against the inclusion of more women in the games industry.

All three members of the steering committee quit in early August, after they discovered Cheok had merged ACE with another conference he chaired, the Congress on Love and Sex With Robots, without telling anyone.

Meanwhile, ACE’s Facebook page has been filled with angry comments related an entirely separate controversy. Several years ago, Steven Levy, a researcher known for his work on computer chess, started an Indiegogo campaign to create a handheld version of the classic British ZX Spectrum computer. The crowdfunding campaign has yet to deliver its product, which it originally promised would materialize over two years ago. Levy is helping to plan ACE this year, and people have flooded ACE’s page to accuse Levy of swindling them out of money.

Who's Steven?

• Upvote 2

so Leif Opperman asked Adrian Cheok about David Levy, and then it all kicked off and Yoram Chisik gets involved

http://oppermann.leute.server.de/acedisgrace/?fbclid=IwAR2Hgk1nNMawXQvlQL4zvIQOCKkrYy2uBHNp2TMvnHTq1WTYW4qOl_kwM9A

(bold is my emphasis for pertinant points)

(presented in chronological order, or as best as...)

Betreff: Re: BBC report about David Levy being an alleged fraudster

Von: Leif Oppermann <leif.oppermann@fit.fraunhofer.de>

Datum: 10.07.2018 11:46

An: Adrian David Cheok <adrian@imagineeringinstitute.org>, tir@fct.unl.pt, inami@inami.info

Kopie (CC): "Emma Yann Zhang (Google+)" <yannc2021@gmail.com>, contact@imagineeringinstitute.org, Yoram Chisik <ychisik@gmail.com>

Dear Adrian,

thanks for your attention and taking the time to respond to me despite your busy schedule. Unfortunately your response does not really satisfy me, as it is rather blue eyed, to say the least. I have now made up my mind that I will never ever publish with my team at Love and Sex with Robots conference and other related publication outlets. (Not a big miss for the world, since we are not active in that domain. Still we frequently get emails about it anyway.)

BUT:

I see that the damage happened to ACE already and I am not sure wether we will still be able to support that conferece series from Fraunhofer FIT, if everything just stays the same. Thus, I hope you and your team can help me to clarify and don't give me an "FDG17-response".

You say that these matter have "absolutely not [sic] relationshop to ACE conferences". Just from my own personal sampling a.k.a. ACE participation I can tell that this is not true. ACE provided a platform to David Levy in 2014 in Madeira (even stated here http://loverobots.mixedrealitylab.org/), as well as in 2017 in London (where he gave a keynote). ACE2018 also seems to be strongly intermingled with Love and Sex with Robots, again, and I am concerned about this.

I therefore copy in your steering committee and 2014/2017 organizers. I would like to ask for a better, official response from ACE about providing a platform for an alleged fraudster and what ACE is planning to do about it. I would also like to suggest that ACE publicly untangles the situation and maybe the two conferences afterall. On the other hand, maybe you (ACE) just want to state a public notice that you continue to fully support David Levy despite the pressing allegations? That would be equally honest. But you cannot continue to close your eyes from this just to provoke and make the press, while playing hide and seek with the academic community.

I am sincerely hoping for an answer within a week from now.

Best wishes,
 Leif

Am 01.07.2018 um 10:01 schrieb Adrian David Cheok:

Dear Leif

Thanks for your enquiry. 

My relationship with David is purely about academic issues about Love and Sex with Robots and personal friendship. I know nothing about his company matters.

However I did ask David to reply to your queries and I am forwarding to you good detailed responses. I hope you are satisfied with his replies. 

Also please note these matters have absolutely not relationship to ACE conferences.

Warm wishes

Adrian

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018, 20:18 Leif Oppermann <leif.oppermann@fit.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

(Resend / RSVP)

Adrian or Emma, could I please ask you for an answer to below email
within a week?

It is kind of important for me to know if we can still support your
publication outlets from my team at Fraunhofer FIT.

Many thanks,
  Leif

Am 08.06.2018 um 11:16 schrieb Leif Oppermann:
> Dear Adrian, dear Emma (cc),
>
> I am writing to you because I am concerned by some news that I
> received these days. It is regarding your converence, book and journal
> partner for "love and sex with robots" / "lovotics", as well as
> repeated keynote speaker, such as at the ACE2017 in London, where we
> last me: David Levy.

>
> According to the BBC, Indiegogo, and other sources around the Internet
> he is an alleged fraudster and might be a confidence trickster. For
> example, according to this news from the BBC
> (https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44381247, news as of 6.6.18),
> Indiegogo is now "appointing a debt collection agency to recoup funds
> from the London-based company behind the campaign [..] RCL [..] Dr.
> David Levy, RCL's chairman". The campaign at Indiegogo is called ZV
> Vega+ and collected about half a million pounds, but never shipped
> their promised product
> (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-plus-console#/,
> if you click "Read More " and scroll to the end you will see that he
> even involved Sir Clive Sinclair into his campaign).
>
> Since I know you for some 15 years, I wanted to let you know
> personally and ask you if:
> - you knew about the allegations regarding David Levy and this campaign?
> - what is your position on this?
> - what are you planning to do now that you know about it?
>
> As I was writing this email, I received a press release for LSR2018
> from you, where David Levy is on the committee. What a disgraceful
> coincidence that you should really clarify.
>
> I hope that this is all news to you and am sincerely looking forward
> to your response.
>
> Best wishes,
>  Leif
>
> PS: I explicitly do not wish to have my identity revealed to David
> Levy or anyone else from RCL, as I do not trust them.
>

--
Dr. Leif Oppermann
Mixed and Augmented Reality Solutions, Fraunhofer FIT
http://www.fit.fraunhofer.de/mars
Tel.: +49 (0)2241 - 14-2724

-- Dr. Leif Oppermann Mixed and Augmented Reality Solutions, Fraunhofer FIT http://www.fit.fraunhofer.de/mars Tel.: +49 (0)2241 - 14-2724

Am 10.07.2018 um 11:54 schrieb Adrian David Cheok:

FORWARD NUMBER ONE FROM DAVID LEVY

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Adrian David Cheok <adrian@imagineeringinstitute.org>
Date: Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 4:02 PM
Subject: Fwd: Witness statement from one of ourr lawyers
To: <leif.oppermann@fit.fraunhofer.de>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 02:56
Subject: Witness statement from one of ourr lawyers
To: Adrian David Cheok <adriancheok@gmail.com>, Rasyidah Abd Rani <rasyidah@imagineeringinstitute.org>, Adrian David Cheok <adrian@imagineeringinstitute.org>

Hi Adrian,

This witness statement shows to some extent what type of person Andrews is.

Best,

David

-- Dr. Leif Oppermann Mixed and Augmented Reality Solutions, Fraunhofer FIT http://www.fit.fraunhofer.de/mars Tel.: +49 (0)2241 - 14-2724

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018, 20:54 Leif Oppermann <leif.oppermann@fit.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

Hi Adrian,

to the contrary: the presented witness statement shows, to some extent, what type of person David is.

To be more explicit:
- the document presented to you by David is an unsigned word document (*)
- but it bears a CLAIM NO: HC 2016 - 003314
- RCL/David lost that case(!) and has been convicted for it (to pay 52k GBP, which they failed to do)

- check http://retro-computers.co.uk/blog/q2-2017#20170517 , esp.
-- http://retro-computers.co.uk/assets/zxvega/default_costs_certificate/20170517_default_costs_certificate_1.jpg
-- http://retro-computers.co.uk/assets/zxvega/default_costs_certificate/20170517_default_costs_certificate_2.jpg
-- http://retro-computers.co.uk/assets/zxvega/default_costs_certificate/20170517_default_costs_certificate_3.jpg
-- http://retro-computers.co.uk/assets/zxvega/default_costs_certificate/20170517_default_costs_certificate_4.jpg
- it is the default costs certificate for that exact claim no., stamped by Senior Courts of England and Wales.

I am a critical rationalist, and I thought you were one, too. David obviously attempted to deceive you and us with this presented "proof", which kind of nicely prooves my point.
Q.E.D.

And it probably wasn't the only time he did that to you and the academic community that esp. you massively support him to reach. As a critical rationalist, I don't feel I should need to double-check the other presented documents. However, let me know if you think differently, or spotted an error in my argumentation. Afterall, we are all used to peer-review.

I think you have something to talk about now, both with David, and with your committee. You cannot just continue like that! If you continue to support David without a doubt, you are not third party, as you claimed. You are seriously harming your own integrity and that of other hard working academics (some of which are cc), as well as the community that we are all part of.

As such, I am still waiting for an official statement regarding ACE/LSR position on David Levy that is a bit better than your previous email which effectively told me to go away and that "everything is fine". I really hope to see a glimpse of that in public within a week.

Best,

Leif

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:58 PM Adrian David Cheok <adrian@imagineeringinstitute.org> wrote:

Dear Leif

I suggest you directly deal with David Levy on this matter. No, I don't have time to examine each and every document as you are. I am too busy doing research. 

Why am I involved with your problem with David Levy? Similarly what has ACE got to do with this matter either? Please talk directly to him if you have a problem, that is the manly thing to do,  don't use me and ACE as your proxy.

I think your war against David Levy will not go down well. It will look really really bad for a German government funded researcher to attack a Jewish man who had many close relatives killed at Auschwitz, especially is has absolutely nothing to do with your life, or your lab, or your work.

Adrian Cheok 

http://oppermann.leute.server.de/acedisgrace/end2.html

Betreff: Re: Fwd: Witness statement from one of ourr lawyers

Von: Yoram Chisik <ychisik@gmail.com>

Datum: 12.07.2018 16:37

An: Adrian David Cheok <adrian@imagineeringinstitute.org>

Kopie (CC): Leif Oppermann <leif.oppermann@fit.fraunhofer.de>, =?UTF-8?Q?Teresa_Rom=C3=A3o?= <tir@fct.unl.pt>, Masahiko INAMI <inami@inami.info>

ADRIAN,

AS A SON OF AN AUSCHWITZ SURVIVOR I TAKE PERSONAL AFRONT TO THIS USE OF LANGUAGE AND ITS USE TO ATTACK A MEMBER OF OUR COMMUNITY WHO CARES ABOUT ITS REPUTATION!

Regardless of your personal involvement with David Levy, in running the LSR conference and any other pursuits you might have that is your own business.

However as far as ACE is concerned you can not act by yourself (regardless of your current role and historical contribution) but must act in unison with the steering committee (of which I am a member).  You deliberatly tie ACE by claiming its co-located with LSR (which is a false statement since they occur at different dates) and thus with David Levy a fact we have not been consulted about but which we have raised more than once.

So far we have treated the matter with cotton gloves (despite your behavior and the tone of your last email - to which Leif was not privy) out of a feeling of loyalty and camaraderie to a person we considered our friend despite the fact that recent events and communication have made us physically ill! However there is a limit to everything and you have crossed every possible line.  This has gone long enough and must stop NOW

Since the ACE submission deadline is on Sunday (15) I suggest (only to use a polite term) we skype on Monday to discuss all pending issues regarding ACE and this escalating situation.  This will allow us to examine the submission status and for tempers to calm (all I will say is that its a good thing you are not in close proximity).

In the mean time I suggest (again only for the use of polite language) you do the following:

1. Provide admin access to the submission system to all steering committee members

2. Refllect on what you have wrote in this and previous emails

3. Seek some help in pursuing said reflcetion

4. Calmly phrase your appology not only to the recipients of this email but to the memory of the murdered souls you have invoked (that include several members of my immediate family)

5. Let us know what time on Monday will be good.  We all have research to conduct as well in case that has escaped your notice.

If you continue in your refusal to discuss this issue, which is your obligation towards the steering committee than rest assured a statement will be issued without any further consultation.

I shall now try to compose myself enough to continue writing the research paper I was writing for a deadline tomorrow, in the hope of having a nice weekend.  A hope that has now been shattered.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL WITH ANY FURTHER DIATRIBE FILLED MESSAGES SIMPLY COMPLETE THE LIST ABOVE AND

Yoram 

Yoram Chisik
Researcher at Large and Sandwich Maker Extraordinaire

Free advice and opinions - refunds available.

and that's where this tweet fits in:

45023279_10156046176411848_6923855664791

so, um, yeah...

@SeanR well that was fascinating! Having said that it leaves me completely bamboozled at Mr Cheok's tweet, because I'm not Jewish and obviously no expert in Jewish lineage but "Leif Opperman" sounds like a pretty Jewish name to me - so why the "Nazi" comment? Also Mr Opperman's analysis and evaluation of the unfolding events was spot on (as was his take down of Levy).

I've just Google'd the good man and he's also a big-wig and super egghead from the Frauenhofer Institute (them of the MP3 invention), so quite why this Cheok bloke chose to deride and defame him over a charlatan and crank such as Levy is well suspect.

In fact, suspect enough to suggest someone hacked his twitter account? Or do academics get this spiteful, this quickly?

All good fun though! 

one of the documents mentioned in the above can be found here

https://www.facebook.com/download/196740344560010/Fourth Witness Statement of Jayne Irene Clemens 7 February 2017 Draft.pdf?hash=Acp9uQiBKmIE-lSc

it's every spurious claim made by Levy, including "a big boy did it and ran away", presented as a legal argument in a UK court.

Of particular interest is

There is evidence to show that the First Defendant has ownership rights to the
Commodore 64 product. I exhibit at pages 48-49 an email from the Second
Defendant to the First Claimant identifying that the Second Claimant, whilst a
Director at the First Defendant, was causing damage to the First Defendant
by focussing on the Commodore 64 project thereby diverting resource from
the Vega + product, whilst also being paid by the First Defendant. I exhibit
evidence of the Defendants' involvement at pages 50 – 62.

Levy claiming that the C64 project belongs to RCL when we know that

http://retro-computers.co.uk/david-levy-admits-he-has-no-rights-to-the-c64-project/

Sent: 01 April 2016 19:09
To: Darren Melbourne
Cc: Paul Andrews; Chris Smith
Subject: Re: Letter

Hi Darren,

You appear to have misunderstood me. I do not in any way claim that Retro Computers Ltd has any rights whatsoever in relation to your Commodore 64 project. Far from it. I have known since February last year that it was your idea, and I have always fully accepted that.

which might account for "reasons why they lost the case"...

That video was possibly 14 minutes too long, cutting stuff with the Vega+ is probably worth 30 seconds in a comprehensive review as a bit of light relief and the funnier something is, the less the people doing it need to laugh.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Longtimelurker said:

That video was possibly 14 minutes too long, cutting stuff with the Vega+ is probably worth 30 seconds in a comprehensive review as a bit of light relief and the funnier something is, the less the people doing it need to laugh.

It felt like one of those occasions where they were clearly having a great time but it didn't translate to a watchable video. Poor effort. So much potential there, I thought Larry would do a good breakdown of the whole Vega+ fiasco.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Vimster said:

It felt like one of those occasions where they were clearly having a great time but it didn't translate to a watchable video. Poor effort. So much potential there, I thought Larry would do a good breakdown of the whole Vega+ fiasco.

Or a cynical attempt to get around YouTube's new "recommended for you" algorithms preferring videos that are at least 15 minutes long.

2 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Or a cynical attempt to get around YouTube's new "recommended for you" algorithms preferring videos that are at least 15 minutes long.

That'll explain the rash of long videos with people stretching 3 minutes of comment to 15-20.

retro.business has resurfaced, with no products at all. not that it ever had any.  the most useless website ever devised in the history of the internet.

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's sad to see a great of the Spectrum scene in denial about a bunch of basic fraudsters.

Absolutely correct.

any time someone posts "there's more stuff that you don't know about" on the internet, it's a lie.

also, the build up to the above:

45805328_10156894563757958_8568905869478

45936345_10156894564592958_1156145758030

cauldwell don't know shit. he's not bound by any legal action, because he's not part of any legal action. He just writes shit games.

17 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Why would he have to stay quiet???  He's under no obligation to do anything for RCL.

Probably because there is no explosive information.  

I know Jonathan Cauldwell has made the Arcade Game Creator, that's used quite extensively for a lot of home-brew games, but as an actual games creator, he's always come across as a bit of a self publicising knob. The only thing I remember him doing, when the Spectrum was still actually going, was the shit Egghead games on Crash cover tapes. You know, the filler games they needed when they didn't have enough games. 

It's not as if he's "1001 Ltd" - those nameless geniuses behind "Floating Hand Throwing Mini-Spears Simulator" and that Transformers game featuring the bike/glider Transformer. Think it was called Optimus Bikeus or Glidertron?

"1001 Ltd" also did possibly the best cover tape published by the magazine itself. Scrolling shoot em up. What was its name? Zsa-Zsa I think. When you fired up that Sinclair User Megatape and the loading screen said "1001 Ltd" you were like "YES!!! This is worth at least 10 times more than the 50p surcharge for this months magazine GET IN!!!"