SeanR

Another ZX Spectrum device indiegogo fundraiser

29 minutes ago, jackfrost71 said:

Is there a picture of Rick Dickinson's design

C2Zxzn2W8AIxD8L.jpg

ZX-Spectrum-Vega-Plus-Banner-640x300.png

or thereabouts

There doesn't seem to be much difference other than the screen border sticker being on the outside (instead of under the clear plastic). And also the action buttons are different.

I prefer the screen surround being on the outside. But I prefer the action buttons on the current design

Pity they screwed up the button mats.  Not an uncommon thing to do , ie getting the stiffness wrong on the button mats, usually it takes some trial and error to get them right.  But Ive never seen them this bad

3 minutes ago, jackfrost71 said:

Not an uncommon thing to do , ie getting the stiffness wrong on the button mats, usually it takes some trial and error to get them right.  But Ive never seen them this bad

We aren't dealing with cutting edge technology here. It's simple button construction with the switch being made out of copper tracks (carbon coated if they were doing a proper job, but from what i have seen from the photos its just an ENIG finish, which will wear out eventually) onto the PCB and the button making the connection between interleaved tracks/shapes. It's a design as old as the hills. In fact, the original machine it is trying to emulate did it better.

Getting that right first time is a very straightforward thing. Quite how RCL have made such a collosal fuck up of recreating well established technology is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

I was talking about the rubber button matt.  It takes a little bit of effort to get it right.  It's what dictates whether the buttons feel mushy, stiff etc.  I think we have all had the experience of owning a console with buttons that were overly mushy. The PYRA for example has gone through a number of button matt iterations to get the right feel for the buttons, intially I believe they were too stiff as well.  They changed the matt material until eventually they got it right.  It takes a mix of getting the right material mix and matt design and thickness.  But as I said, Ive never seen something end up this bad. 

just noticed the latest leak on retro-computers site, titled 'Lee Fogarty refuses to be fall guy', is exactly the same as the leak posted on 22nd of last month titled 'Suzanne Martin created fake social media accounts'...so even they're getting sloppy.

Wasn't the last vote (where SRL abstained) based on shareholding, rather than directorships?

SRL may still own a chunk of shares in the company, in which case they still have a say in things.

The last vote was after this resignation date. It was 2nd August.

It's all over anyway. The product is a piece of shite, RCL aren't going to find the money to make 4000 of them, and even if they did they won't see a return on them as they've already been paid for and the cash spent.

They signed their own death warrant by shipping non-working, badly made egghead (more like dog-egg head) machines. They also no longer have a license to use the Sinclair name, and have contravened the license of the emulator they're using.

Their projections for massive sales through Argos etc were meaningless anyway, but now especially so as the shoddy release of the product means it is now so tainted I'd be surprised if you could give it away. They'd have more chance of selling it through Woolworths, Rumbelows, Toys r Us, Maplin & Radio Rentals.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

According to Companies House Sinclair has resigned for definite  from RCL on 18th June 2018. Guess it's over.

I believe that's as a director (IIRC, he didn't resign - Retro put out a statement saying he had been removed due to being unable to carry out basic duties).

He's still a shareholder, so it makes no difference to the current shareholder issues.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bluejam said:

Shutting up shop? Facebook page down

imageproxy.php?img=&key=623a6d56661830bc

B0C5F454-8199-4C2B-8AF7-3618BE4CFB60.png

twitter account protected...

website is still up (sold out)

they can't appear to be trading with either marks "sinclair" or "zx", so...

How long till there's a garbled press release from Dr Levy stating that they had a tremendous launch but were then stopped from fulfilling their obligations and achieving even greater success by those bad guys at Sky who took their precious license away for no reason whatsoever?

Whatever happens it'll be someone else's fault. It's always someone else's fault. 

5 minutes ago, cubik said:

How long till there's a garbled press release from Dr Levy stating that they had a tremendous launch but were then stopped from fulfilling their obligations and achieving even greater success by those bad guys at Sky who took their precious license away for no reason whatsoever?

Whatever happens it'll be someone else's fault. It's always someone else's fault. 

they can't. literally.

honestly, they already said Sky didn't take the licence, "and indeed renewed it for another year", about 6 hours before Sky confirmed the licence was renewed for 3 months, to the 7th of August, in order to allow them to deliver the... thing.

Sky got in there first.

They still will though, there's a reality distortion field around RCL.

This is the age of FAKE NEWS and these guys are all over it. The truth won't even get a look in

3 hours ago, SeanR said:

they can't. literally.

honestly, they already said Sky didn't take the licence, "and indeed renewed it for another year", about 6 hours before Sky confirmed the licence was renewed for 3 months, to the 7th of August, in order to allow them to deliver the... thing.

Sky got in there first.

Not quite, as true in everything RCL seems to do, they contradicted themselves.... 

They published "for immediate release" a press release stating that the BBC's story, about Sky taking away their licence, was fabricated and that a licence to RCL was renewed in May.

Then in that exact same press release the stated  along the lines that "unfortunately, it is true that Sky have removed the licence from RCL, but we hope to get it back soon after they've seen the launch" The reason the licence was taken away? Because of those leaked emails. Which they sort of implied were done by Andrews (who they say admitted to some information leaks - but what those leaks were, they couldn't say due to legal reasons).

So AFAIK the position is that they are waiting for Sky to give them the licence back, which they had hoped would be done after the successful initial launch. But I guess the total shit show means they won't be getting the licence back - but they can now blame whoever leaked those emails and bank statements as the reason they couldn't get the licence back... and why they cannot make any more.

Except what they'll probably say is that getting the licence is just a delay and honestly, once it's done we'll get the Vega+ released again (more stalling)

I am very laid back and loyal by nature, so don't tend to launch into random attacks for no reason.

right... unless you stare at his bird's pint. then he'll "deck" you. and brag about it online.

So much better on the DS. Perfect screen resolution, running games directly from online repos, touch screen keyboard ...

if anyone has been reading this thread, I have championed the ds as a far superior ZX Spectrum handheld for nearly three years

• Upvote 1

Some observations..despite RCL saying the unit that was released is a V2, apart from the buttons and the cutout for the rear sticker it's identical to the prototype. Both feel exactly the same in your hand, both have the sharp edge at the back. The prototype has a different firmware which "feels" faster and of course includes all 1000 games but no "roll of honour". 

The big difference though is that the Prototype is at least playable as the buttons are much better than the V2. They still need more pressure than you would be used to on a DS - why they changed is beyond me. Those old buttons look rather nice in the flesh as well.

comp.jpg.35cabd94bcb4a0f6948592fe6f7a9a66.jpg

• Upvote 3

I love the way the 'etching' of Vega on the device looks like it was hand done by some poor bugger with a screwdriver. 

It all looks so ghastly.

Its ok guys, they were just changing their twitter handle to @retroltd because they cant use th sinclar and spectrum names anymore.

I wonder how Retro Limited will respond to this?

Also, Lie Forgettably is due in court today.

• Upvote 1