SeanR

Another ZX Spectrum device indiegogo fundraiser

Why does it have a Run key? Surely it should be load.

Seems about £60 too expensive to me.

Yes. It sounds like one of those pads/joysticks you plug into the TV preloaded with ROMs.

We are seeking permissions from the software rights holders to incorporate their games in the Vega.

After the "success" of the Elite System's crowd funding for their Bluetooth Speccy, they might have considered getting that sorted first.

• Upvote 1

Strange. Is Sir Clive really backing this as for me the spectrum was always more than a games machine even if I was only typing in hangman or maps...

Seems way too expensive to me as well in any case.

After the "success" of the Elite System's crowd funding for their Bluetooth Speccy, they might have considered getting that sorted first.

Aye. And they aren't offering royalties. Instead they will donate to charity. Clever way to put pressure on the devs to agree without having to pay out.

• Upvote 2

Hasn't the patent, copyright or whatever expired on the spectrum now? All I want is a new 48 or 128K speccy in a identical 48K rubber keyed case with more up to date internals to help reliability. I was looking on ebay and a lot of the 48Ks are starting to get bad caps now.

If they redid the thing they could fit pretty much the entire thing on a chip.

Can't I just have a proper spectrum with HDMI etc?

Such an odd design, really don't like, but I like the idea. It does almost seem a guilt trip way of getting you to supply your game/s for free as well. Don't give them the rights, you're denying Great Ormond St money.

Give me the full keyboard and the features, and I'd think about it for £100. That fund is pretty high as well, £100,000. I'm also concerned that they haven't got the 1000 games as yet. You might easily end up with 10-20 good ones, and the rest being slightly better than magazine type-ins.

Edit: Interesting too that it'll get whatever money is raised regardless of whether it hits the target.

Hasn't the patent, copyright or whatever expired on the spectrum now?

The Speccy is old, but it's not 75 years old yet!

I'm also concerned that they haven't got the 1000 games as yet. You might easily end up with 10-20 good ones, and the rest being slightly better than magazine type-ins.

Cascade Cassette 1000.

The Speccy is old, but it's not 75 years old yet!

Cascade Cassette 1000.

That's exactly the type of thing I was thinking. Used to see them on those Amiga games discs years ago - about 8 licensed Gremlin Graphics games and the rest were public domain games.

That's a crazy, crazy high price for what it is. I'm going to wait to see what the games actually are, and then make a decision. If they get Codemasters and Ocean games on board, then I'll bite.

Aye. And they aren't offering royalties. Instead they will donate to charity. Clever way to put pressure on the devs to agree without having to pay out.

Yeah, think of all the children who will die if those greedy devs don't give their permission. They also seem to be offering a way of getting around it too with an SD slot that people can put roms on. I don't think the Elite Systems one offered that facility because they were hoping to only sell the games.

It still doesn't excuse offering "around 1000 games" without actually bothering to approach anyone though, and they seem to be banking on that to justify the price point.

The copyright on the ROMs and the 1000 games hasn't expired.

If this had a full keyboard and HDMI out I might be interested.

It's crazy that they're not doing a full keyboard. I'm not sure how you'd even be able to play most games, it wasn't a standard key to start so how are you supposed to press S, Enter, 1 , Space or whatever the key was to start the game (or even select kempston joystick)?

I'd imagine it probably woundlt have cost that much more to make a full keyboard, seeing as they have a video output and SD slot already. Would have been nice to have an USB to stick a joypad in, or USB competition Pro!!

Anyway, it looks like a totally missed opportunity and I just can't see how it's going to work with games just downloaded off Word of Spectrum... Shame.

The biggest issue is surely licensing the software. It's all very well saying it will run everything, quite another for it to be legal to do so. It'd be much cheaper to get a Raspberry Pi running Fuse or something if you're not concerned about emulating the games.

Yep with 50 odd days still to go. I didn't realise that it will include the ULA+ which means that games especially programmed for it could have more colours than on a proper Speccy.

Guess that further goes to show (imo) how personailty led these crowdfunding sites are. I would imagine having Sir Clive endorse it, and the resulting PR that brings, would ensure its success.

It does seem a very odd device. A glorified TV games type thing the likes of which we saw what, 10 years ago? And the whole rights issue thing seems unfair personally.

Good article there, thanks Sean. I'm really surprised some of the bigger gaming websites aren't taking them to task on the rights stuff, it seemed so obvious even from the off.. 'comes complete with around 1000 games built-in'.

But if they are donating to charity, then they sort of are paying for them, aren't they? If the devs agree?

It certainly sounds like a simpler procedure than setting up royalty arrangements with each individual developer of 1,000+ games. Bear in mind there would be no way to know which games are being played so it couldn't be pay-per-play - they would have to pay every single developer a fee from the sales of the devices, and seeing as it is hardly likely to sell millions of units, those payments would just be a few pence each.

This charity thing seems a fairly innovative solution, assuming it is legit and above-board (which presumably will be verifiable at some point).

However - why on earth would you want a Speccy with only 9 buttons? So much software is going to be unusable.

• Upvote 1

They don't have the rights, they are just assuming because the files are on the Internet they can use them.

They're aware they need permission to use games, they mention "making arrangements" to do so. However, it is something they should have done before putting the campaign live and promising that it will come with 1,000 games. They seem to be relying quite heavily on the copyright holders agreeing off of the charity thing, because nobody would be cuntish enough to turn down a charity would they?

But if they are donating to charity, then they sort of are paying for them, aren't they? If the devs agree?

It certainly sounds like a simpler procedure than setting up royalty arrangements with each individual developer of 1,000+ games. Bear in mind there would be no way to know which games are being played so it couldn't be pay-per-play - they would have to pay every single developer a fee from the sales of the devices, and seeing as it is hardly likely to sell millions of units, those payments would just be a few pence each.

This charity thing seems a fairly innovative solution, assuming it is legit and above-board (which presumably will be verifiable at some point).

However - why on earth would you want a Speccy with only 9 buttons? So much software is going to be unusable.

Cynicism aside, it is possibly the "neatest" way to deal with it. Cynicism enabled, it's probably the cheapest way for them to deal with it too as a mass donation to charity could equal any amount, unless they explicitly state an amount when getting people to agree.