rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
DocG

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

PC version of Secret of Monkey Island 2....remember reading a young Gary Whitta's review of it in ACE magazine, and thinking that it looked almost like the greatest thing in the world.

And a year or two later when I did finally buy a PC (goodbye you bastard Atari ST), it pretty much was the greatest thing in the world :D

I started with a 486 DX. Vesa local Bus graphics FTW!

Had it pre Doom. Vividly remember downloading the shareware edition and playing that end to end in utter amazement

Also - Syndicate in SVGA

And all this SoundBlaster talk - bah - the cool kids all had Gravis Ultrasounds! The MIDI in X-Wing was superb with that - my mates with SoundBlasters were very envious!

I remember the Gravis having shit all support and SB emulation that teased you that it would actually work this time. :hmm:

Aye, but when something did support the Gravis natively, it was amaze. Although AWE32 made all that moot.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how many other families it went like that with - 386 was dads, 486/pentium was the family's?

I certainly always had the hand me downs. Although since my dad did (and does) play the likes of Strike Commander and Monkey Island this wasn't a major issue.

Oh, we're doing pics now too?

My 2002 setup, with awesome (not really) casemod. Hand-painted, with a case window I fitted myself and cold cathode lights, but permanently in a state of disrepair because I was always fiddling with it. And CRT monitors, 21" and 17". You can see my Zalman Flower cooler, too, with its funky fan-on-a-bracket mouting.

post-19589-0-91292500-1416991463_thumb.j

post-19589-0-53844900-1416991529_thumb.j

My first Shuttle and my first Mac, both 2002:

post-19589-0-26041900-1416991641_thumb.j

First time taking a hard drive apart:

post-19589-0-51783200-1416991694_thumb.j

If you look closely, we've written l33t along the hacksaw. I'll let you think about that for a moment.

I saved a load of PC pics from back in the day and usually take a picture of the more modern stuff I fit into the PC for nostalgia purposes.

Here's my first ever motherboard, unfortunately I binned it at some point, I think the power supply had died (AT) anyway. Got that back in 1998. It was a pentium 166 MMX, 32mb SIMMS, 1mb graphics card and ISA sound card on a samsung samtron 14" monitor that did 1024*768 at an eye destroying 60Hz.

My brother gave me his 6mb Voodoo rush PCI that I eventually got running with half-life that was amazing, but it wasn't much good for running team fortress, presumably the larger view distances and low memory made things really jerky and updating the simms to 64mb would have been too expensive. Still even though I killed the power supply on that PC it really helped me learn what did what and so was probably the best Christmas present I ever got.

FirstEverMotherboard_zps8061ee3c.jpg

A few other pics.

My desktop in 2004!

April4th2004GamingPCdesktop_zps7cec8718.

Big VGA silencers that you could fit to your radeon 9700 and 9800 pro cards!

Radeo9800ProAGPFront_zpsb0bb6407.jpg

Radeon 9700 Pro overclocking a bit too far in 3D Mark

R9700Pro3DMarkBuggedOverclockScore_zps46

My old gaming PC, probably around 2002, classic beige.Kyro 2 Prophet AGP, appian jeronimo pro for multi monitor, Win TV card, soundblaster live and for some reason 2 extra network cards I decided to fit for no reason. CPU would have been either a Duron 700 or Thunderbird 1100. Wow!

kyro2_zpsa55d82ba.jpg

I try not to throw away any old stuff anymore, I still have some older PCs that I use from time to time, all shuttle PCs because they don't take much space and stack nicely.

From top to bottom they are...

Athlon XP-M CPU 2000MHz, 2GB Ram, 2 X 250GB drives, DVD, Wireless N card ATI 3850 512mb

Pentium 3 3GHz 2GB Ram, 1 80GB drive, 1 250GB drive, DVD Wireless N card, ATI 9600 128mb

Athlon XP 2500+ (1.85Ghz) 1 GB Ram 2 X 80GB drives, DVD, Wireless N card, Nvidia 5200 128mb

ShuttlePCStack_zps4903ac28.jpg

• Upvote 1

Got my first Pc in 94. A 486 DX2 @ 50mhz. It was meant for uni but all I ever did was play games. Having said that though, you probably needed a degree to get some of the games to run. I had a mega complicated boot menu with different config.SYS/autoexec.bat for all my games. Fun times.

We first got a PC when I started my BTEC in Computer Studies in 1993. We rented it from Rumbelows, from what I remember, it was a 486 sx-25 with 4mb of RAM and a 40mb hard drive. No CD drive, no soundcard. Both of which were rectified fairly quickly.

No point going over what people have already said about autoexec and the like, what I mostly remember about pc gaming in those days was the massive variation in genres available. Being a predominantly console gamer, what I played fell into a few categories - sports, platformers, racing, beat em ups. Suddenly, there were all these new types of games - point and click adventures, turn based strategy, real time strategy, rpg, flight sims, first person shooters, driving sims, God games / world building games. It blew my tiny mind.

My first PC was from DAN (based in London) which I bought for £1600 in Oct 94. For that I got the following;

486-66Mhz

8Mb RAM

420Mb Harddisk

256Mb VESA Graphics card

Full Tower case

15" Monitor

Floppy Drive

DOS 6.22

Windows 3.11

So no sound card and no CD ROM. Mental!

I got DOOM about 2 months later and bought a sound card (SB32AWE) almost immediately! From then on it was constant upgrades. But my about 2001 I gave up using for games and in the next few year switched to consoles. My current PC is 5 years old and is still fine for everything I need to for.

My son wanted a PC for Xmas, and he loves messing about, so I've bought him all the bits to build one. Looking forward to sitting with him on the afternoon building a PC and installing windows. My only slight worry is that I got him one on the unlocked pentiums so he can play with over clocking and now all these games start not launching with only 2 cores. Can't wait to see his face as he starts unwrapping bits :)

• Upvote 1

Those are great videos, and the guy's presentation is really good as well. Definitely worth a watch, I saw them all last week as he released them. Just about the right length to have one with a cuppa and a biscuit!

My first PC was from DAN (based in London) which I bought for £1600 in Oct 94. For that I got the following;

486-66Mhz

8Mb RAM

420Mb Harddisk

256Mb VESA Graphics card

Full Tower case

15" Monitor

Floppy Drive

DOS 6.22

Windows 3.11

So no sound card and no CD ROM. Mental!

I got DOOM about 2 months later and bought a sound card (SB32AWE) almost immediately! From then on it was constant upgrades. But my about 2001 I gave up using for games and in the next few year switched to consoles. My current PC is 5 years old and is still fine for everything I need to for.

Pedant mode. There's no way the graphics card was 256mb. You sure it wasn't 256kb?

Man, those PC builders' names from the past, like Dan.

Remember how many of them there were in Computer Shopper? Dan, Mesh, Viglen, Gateway...

All this talk of what you guys had to do to get games working while you were early teenagers boggles my mind somewhat. Seems you had to be some sort of genius savant back in the day.

I don't know whether to be glad or not that I was a console kid.

Discounting an Amstrad CPC464 back in the 80's (which was the family's anyway), the first PC I ever got was an Athlon 2500+ based prebuilt system from Multivision in around 2002/3. For £1300 of my hard earned (I was on less than £100 a week at the time), I got the aforementioned 2500+ cpu, Win XP Home, 1gb of ram, 1x 60gb HDD, 1x 120gb HDD (I think), a Soundblaster Audigy card, Nvidia 4400 card, CD Re-writer, 16" monitor, full tower case and a Videologic 5.1 speaker package.

Having had to remind myself of who I bought my first Pc from, I read that Multivision went into administration in 2004. Glad I never had to claim on the three year warranty I paid for...

As far as faffing around with things to get games working, I was still a Console gamer then so I didn't have any other games than GTAIII for the PC, which I could run with everything maxed anyway so never had to try. I do remember finding some overclocking settings for the graphics card though ( or could have been on-board graphics, can't remember which or even if I knew which at the time) and having fucked around with it by setting one slider all the way to the right and it being sometime in the middle of summer, the PC temp would skyrocket immediately and auto reboot due to some bios setting to save the cpu from frying itself. Bad thing was that I couldn't get the damn thing running long enough to get back to the overclocking settings before the cpu temp would skyrocket again and shut down. I did manage to get it running loang enough by taking the side off and putting a bowl of icewater next to the pc and having a desk fan blasting cold air from it onto the motherboard. Flankly I'm amazed it worked and have never tried overclocking since.

GTA-VC ran fine on that with all settings maxxed to.

Incidentally, I was still using that Videologic 5.1 system up until a month or so ago with my third PC (using now and the first one I actually built myself in 2012) before buying an AV amp to run the PC through. One of my favourite bits of hardware ever really and I don't know what to do with it. This exact kit actually: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Videologic-ZXR-500-5-1-Speaker-System/dp/B00006L4Z2

Actually, concerning my graphics overclocking blunder, I have an idea the only thing I was able to do with the time I had was to boot into safe mode and uninstall the graphics driver, then re-install again to get back to default settings.