rllmuk
Lorfarius

Master System Appreciation Thread

Nice. Operation Wolf was always too hard for me, but I always enjoyed a quick blast on it.

Are you still trying for other complete collections?

YAY SONIC

My Hero makes me laugh, it's actually not that good but it has a certain mood to it that makes me imagine the programmer grinning and flipping you off, repeatedly...and yet, it's moreish.

One of my all time fav games arrives today, be interesting to see what it's like on the MS as the music breaks or makes these ports:

photo_zpsd88981e9.jpg

And with my birthday a few weeks away one of my relatives sent a £50 Amazon gift certificate! Loads of MS games available on there too. Does anyone fancy a trade of Sonic 2? Its boxed without manual and the label is scratched in one corner.

• Upvote 1

MS version of NZS is great but it's also pretty much the only version I've played. (to death)

Was looking at the prices of the Japanese one Mega Drive got recently (not too cheap!)

Also, I was playing Taz Mania this morning and those that read the MD thread know I disliked that version. Master System version is miles better in my view, more traditional platformer but still having the 'eat everything' elements. I could swear the music has more notes to it in the first 2 worlds then the MD one does as well.

Yeah Golden Axe was highly rated at the time. I remember being pleasantly surprised with its speed and graphical prowess. The presentation was pretty excellent (especially the story screens in between the levels).

There was an incredibly almost photo-realistic picture of Conan Swarzenegger upon completion too.

Going slightly off topic, I love the parallels between the golden ages of gaming, rap music and the cavalier attitudes towards copyright law at the time. There was a glorious artistry abundant that couldn't have happened earlier in the 80's due to technological limitations or later due to legislation & lawyers wizening up.

Anyway I'm 36 and the Master System was the first console in our house. Hang On & Safari Hunt were the built-in games and early favourites were Shinobi, Cloud Master, Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy 2, Wonder Boy 3 and Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I still have the same Phantasy Star cart I played through as a kid and my brother kept the book of squared-paper we used to map out the dungeons.

I was expecting to find a lot more Sega MS paraphanalia when I excavated the loft a little ago but alas it was pretty much only the games, and I didn't have time to take snaps or catalogue them. Maybe in the new year.

I did find a Sega MS / Mark III convertor I used to use to play Ninja Princess and Fantasy Zone 2 on the Megadrive though. We gutted a Mic & Mac: Global Gladiators cartridge to house it, sizing it up as the worst Megadrive game we owned.

• Upvote 4

Couple of deliveries today but a bit pissed off. Seller describe Line of Fire as being in good condition but no mention of the huge coffee stain on its back cover, had to ask for a refund:

photo1_zps01945660.jpg

Loads more to come but my collecting shelves are starting to get a lot bigger!

photo2_zpsc9a84318.jpg

• Upvote 4

I love MS and MD cases on the shelf. They look so neat and tidy.

Although my slight OCD could do without the two or three horizontal 'SEGA's. They need to be grouped together or I'll struggle to sleep tonight and I know you don't want that.

• Upvote 2

All the SEGA logos on the spines should really be at the same height, let alone orientation. I will not sleep for days.

Oh god, even the font size varies! I've gone from liking how neat they look on a shelf, to hating them in the space of three posts.

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to remember a MS game think it had Jungle in the title. There were bits where you would be swinging on vines across a swap with crocodiles I think a bit like Pitfall. Would have been an early release around 88. Any ideas?

Things like coffee stains piss me off.

I have a copy of Splatterhouse 3 coming and I bet a giraffe's nut it's going to have a sunfaded spine, despite being described as mint. We'll see later this week I guess.

I went through the complaints procedure and they've sent me a free postage label which is Royal Mail 48 tracking, so it will cost him money all round. Serves him right for the state its in, worst part is if I'd gone with another seller it would have cost me a £1 more for something in great condition.

More deliveries!

photo_zpsd9e145b0.jpg

Just giving them the usual scrub down on the contacts before playing. Heard lots of good things about Putt & Putter, I only bought the Flash because it was £20 which seemed cheaper than all the other BINs on eBay.