rllmuk
Lorfarius

Master System Appreciation Thread

52 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I will say at least that's not my video :lol:

Are you sure? It's in the wrong aspect ratio...

With all these awful tension building up in the world, it's great to just fire up some games at night and forget about it for a few hours. I am not rushing through any of the games I bought and taking my time to appreciate them before they end up on the storage shelf. One of the first I plucked out of the pile was Outrun, not one I played on the MS as a kid but fond memories of the Mega Drive version even if that's so fondly remembered today.  There's a 3D port of this which goes for a couple of hundred quid but I'm in no rush to dive into that mad collecting side until much later!

The music on the MS port is adequate enoough and does capture that bright and cheery sunny feel but the graphics make it feel more like you are playing Hang On than anything too exciting. Most of these 8Bit racers tend to look the same and this is not really any different. Interesting curio to pull out and play but def not much to keep coming back to. Shame really because I quite like the boxart for it with it's Two Mega cartridge POWER!

outrun.jpg

• Upvote 1

I thought MS Outrun was pretty impressive, considering. Also notable for a few curiosities:

- It’s one of the handful of games that supports the Sega Paddle rotary controller. I have one, and Outrun is totally uncontrollable with it.

- It has FM support, but the FM music is awful, far worse than the PSG.

Do check out Chase HQ if you’ve got it - quite a decent port. Taito did good work on the MS. 

• Upvote 1

I've just reali

9 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

I thought MS Outrun was pretty impressive, considering. Also notable for a few curiosities:

- It’s one of the handful of games that supports the Sega Paddle rotary controller. I have one, and Outrun is totally uncontrollable with it.

- It has FM support, but the FM music is awful, far worse than the PSG.

Do check out Chase HQ if you’ve got it - quite a decent port. Taito did good work on the MS. 

I've just realised that I might have had the FM option turned on with the Mega SG. That might have improved the music without me realising.

It's on the list, heard good things from lots of places about CHase HQ.

MS Out Run is one of those hugely nostalgic games for me. I got a Master System at the end of the 80s, either for my 9th or 10th birthday and mum bought me Out Run about a week later as it was my absolute favourite arcade game at the time. I used to play it for hours and hours on end on the Master System, I absolutely loved it. Six months of playing it almost daily meant I was actually pretty decent next time I got to play on actual arcade cab.

Obviously there are better home ports, but the only other one I knew of at the time was the C64 version, which a friend of mine had. The Master System version is an order of magnitude better than that.

Chase HQ is one of the later games I got and it's also pretty excellent. Out Run is arguably the better racer though.

• Upvote 1

On 19/03/2020 at 12:33, Lorfarius said:

With all these awful tension building up in the world, it's great to just fire up some games at night and forget about it for a few hours. I am not rushing through any of the games I bought and taking my time to appreciate them before they end up on the storage shelf. One of the first I plucked out of the pile was Outrun, not one I played on the MS as a kid but fond memories of the Mega Drive version even if that's so fondly remembered today.  There's a 3D port of this which goes for a couple of hundred quid but I'm in no rush to dive into that mad collecting side until much later!

The music on the MS port is adequate enoough and does capture that bright and cheery sunny feel but the graphics make it feel more like you are playing Hang On than anything too exciting. Most of these 8Bit racers tend to look the same and this is not really any different. Interesting curio to pull out and play but def not much to keep coming back to. Shame really because I quite like the boxart for it with it's Two Mega cartridge POWER!

outrun.jpg

High 5 my friend.

2020-03-26_21_50_14.jpg

• Upvote 2

If any Master System collector happens upon a boxed copy of Submarine Attack that they don't want or need, I'd be very happy to buy it from you.

12 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

£1.99? :o

I know right.

I've got the glasses somewhere, going to need to try those out.

12 hours ago, Tomcat said:

If any Master System collector happens upon a boxed copy of Submarine Attack that they don't want or need, I'd be very happy to buy it from you.

I have some dupes of common games I'll have to offer for swap at some point.

Gonna need to space this over two posts...

4 of the games (batman, hang on, Ninja gaiden and PGA tour I don't have carts for if anyone has a spare loose. 

2020-03-26_22_42_11.jpg

2020-03-26_22_42_16.jpg

2020-03-26_22_42_21.jpg

• Upvote 1

The unreadable ones are Out Run and Parlour Games.  Some of those loose carts are dupes of boxed ones.

2020-03-26_22_42_30.jpg

2020-03-26_22_42_33.jpg

2020-03-26_22_42_38.jpg

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The unreadable ones are Out Run and Parlour Games.  Some of those loose carts are dupes of boxed ones.

2020-03-26_22_42_30.jpg

2020-03-26_22_42_33.jpg

2020-03-26_22_42_38.jpg

What’s the Taito game below Running Battle?

Darius 2, the sequel to the game they converted for the Mega Drive Mini.

Released outside Japan in ports as the barely readable in that font "Sagia".

The Light Phaser is such an excellent & accurate peripheral and Master System light gun games might be the best collection of their kind anywhere.

That is all.

I have one right here, and absolutely no display I could use it with :P

IMG_4860.thumb.JPG.3637a71c1fafae71b7fe6edb108fb8a4.JPG

Havent actually used these for many years since I got rid of any Master Systems I've had over the years, opting to use a Power Base Convertor instead and then putting in my MD mod switches in places that mean a model 1 convertor won't fit :hat:

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Those stickers will warp your boxes :ph34r:

The price ones?

Yeah the adhesive lightly pulls on the plastic so over time, you get those annoying bumps. You'll know if you're OK just by running your fingers over them

• Upvote 1

That makes a lot of sense now I come to think about it. Most of the recent ones I've cleaned up that had warbled all had those big crazy stickers on. I tend to always strip them off anyway as they look awful.

I kinda like keeping them as bought.

That said, all its done is remind me I basically had a subscription at Gamestation for a couple of years there.

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I kinda like keeping them as bought.

Yeah, but if its ruining them in the long term it's not worth it.

Honestly they've been like that so long anything that's gonna happen probably has.

Meanwhile it's a tiny uninteresting thing but I thought I'd record it.  Finally got my SMS1 -> OSSC -> Elgato -> PC setup working so for posterity, here's my real SMS running Sonic Chaos.

The irony of this is, the Sonic Chaos ROM floating around most of the net actually came from my cart, so technically you've all played this copy.

• Upvote 1