rllmuk
Lorfarius

Master System Appreciation Thread

I don't know Batman Returns as I've never played it or came across it back in the day.  But I'm tempted to give it a shot now.

Nostalgia is a funny beast; The Master System was my (our) first gaming device and that in itself probably goes a long way towards why I feel something extra special about the way its phosphors dance on the TV, how the raw PSG audio cuts through the air. An obscure forgotten game on this console might enjoy quite the advantage over other undiscovered old games when vying for my undivided attention as an adult. The 'wow, I'd definitely have lapped this up as a kid' factor - measured in unquantifiable yet mentally tangible units has something to do with it too.

There's a Master System homebrew game by the name of D.A.R.C that captured my imagination earlier this year, I think its incredible, a game I imagine I'd have sunk hour upon hour into until I'd felt like I'd sufficiently rinsed it if it'd somehow existed as an official release during the console's life. I find the FM-only music score magnificent as well and lament that a PSG version of it for regular ol' western MS playback isn't also present. Highly recommended. 

• Upvote 1

Batman Returns is done.

I have to say my talk of balance was slightly premature as stage 5, the final stage, is definitely a step up in difficulty compared to the others. Stage 5.2 is particularly brutal, requiring you to climb a water fall by grappling falling barrels in order to get higher.

It’s an interesting balance actually as the game gives you unlimited credits however stage 5 is split into 4 sections and trying to make it through with the default lives is crazy tough. The trick to making it through seems to be amassing your lives in the early stages to allow you to take the deaths later on. I think this is quite cool as the better you get at the early stages the more lives you have for the final area.

Yuzo Koshiro was the Sound Manager too. Not sure if the wrote the tunes himself but they’re definitely very good

The stage 2 music is probably my favourite (track 9 on this list)

• Upvote 1

Sega Retro has Motohiro Kawashima credited for Sound - he's Koshiro's partner-in-crime, who co-wrote Streets of Rage 2 & 3 and Eye of the Beholder CD, and who's touring with Koshiro at the moment.

Not played that one before - the music does sound good, Stage 1 could be from GG Shinobi. I love listening to what decent artists could do with the SMS/GG sound chip, even though I wish they'd built FM into the western SMS.

Been jumping between Deep Duck Trouble, Master of Darkness and Shinobi at the minute.

Probably gonna bail in DDT as it just suffers from too much slow down. It’s a shame because the game looks great but the character is generally slower paced and add to that the relentless slow down and it makes it tough to play, but not in a good way.

Master of Darkness is a valiant attempt at a Castlevania game, and while it’s not as good as the Konami titles it’s still very enjoyable. Apart from the bats, those things drive me crazy!

It’s actually a really good scenario, Victorian England. It works really well for a game of this type, quite creepy.

And Shinobi is Shinobi. Graphically it’s not great but the gameplay is solid and captures what the arcade did very well.

Definitely enjoying these Master System games, glad I decided to jump in and give them a try.

• Upvote 1

i'm going to pick up kenseiden and new zealand story up asap.

looking around online, ready for payday.

currently playing shinobi. i still havent got it down.

i remember beating alex kidd in shinobi world in a few trys...shinobi is defo harder.

Such a wonderful port. For its time - amazing!

I posted a photo of my wife's Python 1M on top of her master system box on twitter. It's boxed, with the original receipt, £54.99!

D8fTr7AWwAA7t6O.jpg

[edit]

Wow, the M stands for "Microswitched", rather than the more obvious "Master System" or "Multi System"...

https://www.msx.org/wiki/Quickshot_QS-137F

Edited by SeanR
  • Upvote 1

£54.99!? Those things were utterly shit, and you could kill one in minutes with a joystick waggler like Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

£55 in 1990 is roughly equivalent to £130 now. I can't believe that's right. Sure it wasn't for the console too?

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

£54.99!? Those things were utterly shit, and you could kill one in minutes with a joystick waggler like Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

£55 in 1990 is roughly equivalent to £130 now. I can't believe that's right. Sure it wasn't for the console too?

58B9234D-0522-45E3-818D-F9347B30BFF8.thumb.jpeg.589a93ddf598801f68e197fec9b364da.jpeg

So, i asked her about it. She never used it with the master system, but rather her commodore CDTV

Edited by SeanR

2 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

i'm going to pick up kenseiden and new zealand story up asap.

Did a play through of Kenseiden the other night (emulated, save states, cheats) after it popped up in my  'Games set in Ancient Japan' thread in Discussion. Had never heard of it before (hardly played anything on the SMS to be fair) but I thought the graphics looked nice for an 8-bit title and the intro music was cool. It was a decent game, but one that definitely would have been more rewarding to play repeatedly as a youngster to really appreciate mastering the difficulty. I watched a longplay on Youtube after I completed it and I missed a few levels with upgrades that would have made the later levels and bosses much more manageable.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Did a play through of Kenseiden the other night (emulated, save states, cheats) after it popped up in my  'Games set in Ancient Japan' thread in Discussion. Had never heard of it before (hardly played anything on the SMS to be fair) but I thought the graphics looked nice for an 8-bit title and the intro music was cool. It was a decent game, but one that definitely would have been more rewarding to play repeatedly as a youngster to really appreciate mastering the difficulty. I watched a longplay on Youtube after I completed it and I missed a few levels with upgrades that would have made the later levels and bosses much more manageable.

im really looking forward to this :)

1 hour ago, spanky debrest said:

It's probably the best most misunderstood game in the entire library IMO. An essential game.

looking forward to it...i'll definitely put time into it. i love a lot of things 8-bit.

18 hours ago, SeanR said:

So, i asked her about it. She never used it with the master system, but rather her commodore CDTV

No wonder it's in such great shape.  No games to use it on. :hat:

• Upvote 1

Started Sonic around an hour ago (built in game)

Got the first 3 stages down and the first 3 hidden crystals.

Will be aiming for completion after a sleep...It's really good!

Probably could of got further, but, I spent a bit of time finding the crystals, mainly the one on stage 3...

Not looking for spoilers, prefer to work things out for myself....

(I'm guessing sonic won't be too taxing!)

Will rotate this with Shinobi...

Edit..

The two games I was looking to add to my collection, the new Zealand story and Kenseiden...bagged off the same seller/ebay - result :)

• Upvote 1

New Zealand Story was often debated here back in the day - which ports were best and why etc. The Master System version usually seemed to come out near the top for console ports. I prefer it to the PC Engine and NES ports for sure.

Very few people seemed to have played any of the arcade versions which always made me feel a bit sad, being lucky enough to have thoroughly enjoyed a couple of cabinets nearby in town. 

I used to make a 10p credit last as long as I wanted to by exploiting a warp loop and sometimes even finished it, and my favourite cab occupied the same part of the space as Wonderboy: Monster Land and Nemesis. I'd be able to make 70 or 80p last a whole overstimulated afternoon.

I've never got close to finishing it in modern times on any version using emulation though. It just played like a dream with a real arcade stick and I was definitely a better player as a kid.

Apologies for the ramble.

• Upvote 3

Kenseiden and NZ story have been marked a posted/tracking.

Looking forward to these..

My main game at the moment is Goemon's great adventure (n64)

Will rotate that with some 8 bit magic :)

NZS isn't optimised, but it doesn't run correctly at 60Hz. Somewhat annoyingly, it does run fine at 60Hz on a megadrive with a convertor. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stoofle said:

NZS isn't optimised, but it doesn't run correctly at 60Hz. Somewhat annoyingly, it does run fine at 60Hz on a megadrive with a convertor. 

Thank you, S dude.

Must of gone through 12 rounds on Kenseiden....really enjoying the challenge!

I decided to backtrack as I couldn't beat one of the training stages...

I must of missed another stage too, as I was on a bridge...I had 4 life's and an energy pot restore...

I lost everything on that stage!! I will run through that one earlier.

I was a bit thrown, as on the Map selection, it wasn't giving me all stages I cleared.

As the Map is in Japanese, I'll need to memorize shapes I guess.

Really enjoying it.

I picked up Mortal Kombat from my local Cash Converter in the summer.

It's a good port.  Surprisingly so.  There are only two backgrounds, and Kano is cut completely, but the grahics and gameplay are excellent.

Yeah, they did a stonking job. Pretty much same so with MK2 as I recall.

There is an MK3 for SMS but it's a Brazil only cheap GameGear port and shows it.

LOL.

I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I can recognise a pretty good port when I see one.

It was in excellent condition for a Cash Converter game.

On 01/11/2018 at 15:47, Goemon said:

Batman Returns is done.

I have to say my talk of balance was slightly premature as stage 5, the final stage, is definitely a step up in difficulty compared to the others. Stage 5.2 is particularly brutal, requiring you to climb a water fall by grappling falling barrels in order to get higher.

It’s an interesting balance actually as the game gives you unlimited credits however stage 5 is split into 4 sections and trying to make it through with the default lives is crazy tough. The trick to making it through seems to be amassing your lives in the early stages to allow you to take the deaths later on. I think this is quite cool as the better you get at the early stages the more lives you have for the final area.

Yuzo Koshiro was the Sound Manager too. Not sure if the wrote the tunes himself but they’re definitely very good

The stage 2 music is probably my favourite (track 9 on this list)

Batman Returns was one of the games I got with my Master System 2 for Xmas 1993. The console package was labelled "Saturday night at the movies pack" and came with film and TV tie-ins: Batman Returns, Bart Vs the Space Mutants, Alien 3 (plus Sonic 1 built-in).

I loved Batman Returns! Swinging was not as advanced as the long pendulum swings of Spider-Man Vs the Kingpin, but still satisfying.

You're right, it's not that challenging a game, mainly because the game essentially treats lives as hit points, and you immediately start right back where you died instead of having to replay from a checkpoint.

On the Route 1 versions of the stages, I know I got to the final boss, but I don't think I ever completed it. However I remember the Route 2 versions of the levels being much more challenging: not just because of the hazards, but because the game doesn't throw as many lives at you as it does in Route 1. So you can't just tank your way through things like the fire in the department store.

• Upvote 1