The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3DS

Broker

Short N64 - 3DS comparison:

Why have they made so many artistic changes? I know it's not SO MUCH of a big deal, but Majora's Mask is my favourite game of all time; the mask seller's area is supposed to be dark, dingy and sinister. They've completely changed the moon:

LyVzTa9.png

Now it looks like a caricature villain, whereas before there was an unsettling stoicism about it. And, judging by that screen, the sky when the time is at and end is now a dark red rather than the pale blue/orange of the original.

They may well add CGI Stormtroopers.

Explain this.

At a guess:

Nintendo release WWHD. Receive criticism for not making enough changes. Unveil MM. Receive criticism for making too many changes.

Personally, I quite like what I've seen of the changes they've made to MM, but then I'm hardly invested in the original.

Now it looks like a caricature villain, whereas before there was an unsettling stoicism about it.

I think you might be reading a bit much into this. The moon has a creepy face, which they've updated slightly to take advantage of the fact that on 3DS it's face doesn't need to look like a child painted it on a paper plate.

I think you might be reading a bit much into this. The moon has a creepy face, which they've updated slightly to take advantage of the fact that on 3DS it's face doesn't need to look like a child painted it on a paper plate.

Not really, man. It doesn't have to have a big sharp nose this time. But the mouth and the eyes and the sky have changed.

I always get mad about this sort of stuff, though.

At a guess:

Nintendo release WWHD. Receive criticism for not making enough changes. Unveil MM. Receive criticism for making too many changes.

Personally, I quite like what I've seen of the changes they've made to MM, but then I'm hardly invested in the original.

I suppose it is a remake, of sorts.

I'm getting one of the majora mask ones done at http://www.picanova.co.uk/nl-kw-45-fp/

Pretty damn cheap for a big canvas. Only valid till tonight. I think getting 2 majora mask canvas might be over board but i do like them both..

I actually never got massively far into Majoras Mask. Maybe a couple dungeons in? I remember due to my website, i was sent a japanese majoras mask with 4mb expansion so i could play it but i never got that far due to the language barrier. They ended up sending me the american one and playing that. I must have had a NTSC-PAL converter? I think I also have a PAL version too that i got from a boot sale along with conkers bad furday for £5 each.

I liked what i played, but the 3 day thing turned me off the game a bit, which is a shame because i'm sure it wasn't as big a pain as I had imagined it to be.

I'm looking at this the same way I look at films, really. There isn't an easy way of 'remastering' a game for newer consoles like there is for Blu-Ray releases, et al. But I still think art choices were original designed that way for a reason, and changing a good portion of the destruction of Clock Town is, in essence, messing with the original's atmosphere, the thing which it is most known for.

This is looking great! Next spring can't come soon enough. The improved frame rate should help with some of the racing sections. The definitive version of my favourite Zelda game. I wonder why it's taken so long though? Even the original only took about a year to make...

Because I'm sure that planning, re-coding software from 15 year-old architecture, redrawing art assets, adding 3D, testing, producing, manufacturing, marketing and organising release schedules take no time at all.

:rolleyes:

Seriously though, this looks phenomenal. I still have the original cart yet never played more than the first couple of days. Looking forward to it.

I don't know why you're rolling your eyes. Majora's Mask was built around Ocarina of Time, using the same engine and assets for the most part. That's why it took less than a year to produce. Did it take three years to get Ocarina up and running, redrawing art assets, adding 3d, testing, producing, manufacturing, marketing and oraganising release schedules on the 3Ds from scratch?

I have no idea. That's why I followed it up with "Seriously though..." Probably took them a surprisingly long time to plan their at keying strategy.

I do know that producing game assets takes an age though as I've been working in a studio for the last 12 months. Nowhere near as long as it takes marketing to come up with *anything* but it's still a long time. :)

They needed the time to stick in a newbie mode because everyone complained about the difficulty and time management in the original release. I assume the Master Quest / Hero Mode in the 3DS version will just be the original game.

I'm absolutely sure that producing or reproducing new assets to a new higher standard does indeed take a very long time. I'm just a bit curious as to why it's taken as long as it has to remake Majoras Mask, seemingly longer than it took to remake ocarina of time. Maybe there's more new stuff or the game plays in a novice friendly fashion? Maybe there were unexpected difficulties in getting the game to work correctly. Perhaps there's an interesting tale to be told. Maybe they were just trying to drum up heightened interest in the game by dropping the cryptic hints in other games and gauging the response.

I think it’s possible (maybe quite likely) that they’ll want to differentiate this version from OOT 3DS a bit. Whilst reusing all of the OOT assets for MM was clever and gave it a funny atmosphere I bet they’ll want to give a few things their own variations on models and textures this time to make it feel less like an expansion, and it deserves that because in terms of ideas and mechanics nobody has ever questioned whether it’s a proper sequel.