The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3DS

Broker

Yep - I certainly didn't find out about it, and I thought I'd spoken to everyon, so probably best to spoiler tag.

It's all a bit overwhelming to begin with, and they don't really bother with a tutorial like in OoT, as if they expect you to have played OoT recently.

Yep - I certainly didn't find out about it, and I thought I'd spoken to everyon, so probably best to spoiler tag.

It's all a bit overwhelming to begin with, and they don't really bother with a tutorial like in OoT, as if they expect you to have played OoT recently.

Well, see...I'm not so sure about this. Obviously I already know the game quite well (at least the start), but I was aware that people said they found the first bit quite confusing. So on this play through I've been paying close attention, and frankly the game tells you exactly where to go and what to do, right up to getting your Ocarina back.

I've found it pretty easy to pick up. The world seems to have a very simple structure (a central hub with areas to the north, south, east and west), and after making sure I spoke to everyone in clock town I didn't seem to miss anything. It's been a while since I played OoT, but I remember not knowing where to go half the time.

Someone a few pages back was discussing the exact same thing. I asked them if they'd discovered the song yet and they said they hadn't, but not to tell them. So you know, everyone's different. I don't like being told anything.

That was me.

And that particular song isn't that well signposted.

you don't have the ocarina when you first talk to the scarecrow. You have to revisit him.

Also if you keep responding yes to his question about continuing to dance, you don't ever get the song. He runs away once it becomes the dawn of the last day.

It was only because someone here gave me a little clue I persisted.

It should definitely be provided in a more up front and unmissable way though.

That was me.

And that particular song isn't that well signposted.

you don't have the ocarina when you first talk to the scarecrow. You have to revisit him.

Also if you keep responding yes to his question about continuing to dance, you don't ever get the song. He runs away once it becomes the dawn of the last day.

It was only because someone here gave me a little clue I persisted.

It should definitely be provided in a more up front and unmissable way though.

Perhaps, although he is in more than one location and you meet him on your way up the clock tower, on the main quest. So in other words you have to either walk past him or talk to him. He's hard to miss.

Those having trouble with time...

Try playing the Song of time 7 times on the roof of Clock Town, let the moon crash, save, restart the game and do this button code on the title screen: UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT A B START. Zelda will appear and offer you the Ocarina of Hammer Time along with teaching you a new song: MC Hammer. Playing this song, which sounds remarkably like the song below, let's you destroy the moon into four separate pieces, unlocking 4 additional dungeons to complete!

Honestly though, you shouldn't use the internet for Majora. Please don't.

Working out how to finally get to the boss in that one was great fun. Best dungeon puzzling in the game for me. Although Dungeon 4 scoops the awards for best dungeon and best boss in the game.

Anyone else initially wonder what that banana was doing next to the time on the top screen?

I'm not going to labour this post, because I'm glad so many others are enjoying Majora's Mask, but I'm afraid this has only reaffirmed my dislike of the series. At least now I can completely, utterly say that I do not enjoy Zelda games, without any caveats.* Not Link to the Past or Between Worlds, not Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, not Link's Awakening or Wind Waker, not plain old Legend of Zelda nor weirdy Zelda 2, and certainly not the execrable Skyward Sword.

I'd hoped I could get on with Majora's Mask - the greater focus on characters and the single hub town with a three-day cycle conceit appealed to me, but in the end all of that couldn't overcome the simple writing and dungeon-centric structure that so puts me off the games. Oh well. Still, I did very much appreciate the game's willingness to be vague and allow you to work things out for yourself, the actual puzzling about the town I very much enjoyed - but once I got into dungeoneering there was nothing there to keep me entertained.

It's not you, Zelda, it's me.

*bar my enjoying Hyrule Warriors, but that's a Dynasty Warriors game

I'm not going to labour this post, because I'm glad so many others are enjoying Majora's Mask, but I'm afraid this has only reaffirmed my dislike of the series. At least now I can completely, utterly say that I do not enjoy Zelda games, without any caveats.* Not Link to the Past or Between Worlds, not Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, not Link's Awakening or Wind Waker, not plain old Legend of Zelda nor weirdy Zelda 2, and certainly not the execrable Skyward Sword.

I'd hoped I could get on with Majora's Mask - the greater focus on characters and the single hub town with a three-day cycle conceit appealed to me, but in the end all of that couldn't overcome the simple writing and dungeon-centric structure that so puts me off the games. Oh well. Still, I did very much appreciate the game's willingness to be vague and allow you to work things out for yourself, the actual puzzling about the town I very much enjoyed - but once I got into dungeoneering there was nothing there to keep me entertained.

It's not you, Zelda, it's me.

*bar my enjoying Hyrule Warriors, but that's a Dynasty Warriors game

In all honesty given you already loathed the best the series has to offer, it hardly seems odd that the most esoteric of the saga didn't appeal.

But even so I weep and then blink in bleary eyed non comprehension

Wiper confirmed for contrarian. I'm looking forward to the rllmuk awards and his comments.

Well, duh.

Didn't expect Wiper to dislike a Zelda game. Or use a footnote.

Ah, I see you've met me before :P

But yes, at least this marks the end of my trawl through Zeldas past in the search for one I can enjoy. Though I foresee myself trying out the new one when it inevitably wins every award ever and is proclaimed to be a fantastic open-world adventure...

In all honesty given you already loathed the best the series has to offer, it hardly seems odd that the most esoteric of the saga didn't appeal.

Ah, but that was exactly why I'd hoped I'd like it! Esoteric = divergent from the standard which I dislike, so there was more chance I'd enjoy this than other Zeldas. Alas, it wasn't to be, though it joins Wind Waker as my most enjoyed of the Zeldas (the latter for its beautiful art design bringing character and carrying me through a good few hours of the game before the tedious sailing wore me out, MM for its town-based puzzles and interesting setting bringing me some entertainment).

Hmm. I swear I have been higher but still couldn't work it out..

I tried Goron roll off the ledge but I didn't make it. And there was no ice so I couldn't do a power up a super Goron roll...

Hmmm...

Something a bit more literal.

there is a massive pillar that rises from the bottom of the central chamber right to the top, activated by a switch on the ground floor (not basement!). Have you seen that?

I'd hoped I could get on with Majora's Mask - the greater focus on characters and the single hub town with a three-day cycle conceit appealed to me, but in the end all of that couldn't overcome the simple writing and dungeon-centric structure that so puts me off the games.

Is this some type of comedy account?