The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3DS

Broker

This is such an amazing remake. I never really got the game before and always thought those who said it was the best zelda were a bit weird. Now though, i totally see where they are coming from.

I think this will easily be in my top 3 games of the year come December.

It is a very good version, although I do have gripes. Like, really minor things. I don't like Link's new running animation for instance. It may seem "better" but actually it's a bit over-animated and therefore fake looking. I liked the old rapid one-two-one-two feel of the old animation. There's also a cheesy waving animation when the Great Fairy disappears, which they've just taken from the bit where Link waves goodbye to the Deku Scrubs. Looks cheap.

One thing I do really, really like though is how you can see the other areas of Clock Town before you enter them. It makes the whole place feel much more connected.

After just two hours' play, having never played the N64 game, I've come on here to say that the atmosphere in this game is truly special; I don't really know what's happening, where I'm going or why I'm going there, but I certainly feel compelled to keep going. At the moment it feels like it should be called The Legend of Zelda: Link's Bad Dream.

And the mask salesman is seriously fucking creepy.

tumblr_lksfwq5vkY1qztkgn.jpg

FUUUU

Yep, loving this too. Went in absolutely blind.

Early game spoilers:

I've managed to clear a few things in clock town (as much as I can at this point, from what I can tell), and I've just got to the woodland area past the swamp.

I found a save point there and I was nearing the end of the three days, so I take it a sensible thing to do would be to force a restart and use the soaring song to warp back there? And what about slowing down time - I can't see any downside to doing that to give me more time, unless I'm missing something? After all, I can skip ahead if need be.

Yes, exactly that.

As a general rule of thumb I always immediately slow down time, and I never start anything big like a new area or dungeon unless it's Day 1. The crucial thing to do before the end of the third day is to reach the point at which you've found the latest thing you need, or reached an important new area, say the owl statue just outside of a new dungeon. That means you can warp straight there, and bypass all the stuff you had to do to reach it the first time.

I'm getting that itch to try Majora's Mask out but fear that the same fate will befell me as have with the other Zelda games I've earnestly tried: giving up after a good while due to frustration.

I tried a 2D Zelda (Link's Awakening) and hit a brick wall 3-4 hours in and never progressed on.

I tried OOT 3D, enjoyed it a fair bit, got used to the long time it was taking me to crack various puzzles, loved the first few dungeons.. but then I started really struggling. I found I had to consult a guide after scratching my head for what felt like hours at a time, and that bits I was stuck on weren't even considered fucking puzzles. I clocked 30 hours on it and most of those I spent in bewilderment, and gave the game to a mate who lapped it up. He whizzed through it, relived a part of his childhood and gave it back to me next time we met saying that it's still every bit a masterpiece.

And lately a small voice from long ago keeps whispering to me when I least expect. "..buy me...don't deny me.. ..you're not mentally challenged, you can prove it if you buy me...go on....order me...you won't regret it..."

I'm thick as shit with Zelda games and I think wanting to buy MM is part of the same stupidity. I dunno.

I'm getting that itch to try Majora's Mask out but fear that the same fate will befell me as have with the other Zelda games I've earnestly tried: giving up after a good while due to frustration.

I tried a 2D Zelda (Link's Awakening) and hit a brick wall 3-4 hours in and never progressed on.

I tried OOT 3D, enjoyed it a fair bit, got used to the long time it was taking me to crack various puzzles, loved the first few dungeons.. but then I started really struggling. I found I had to consult a guide after scratching my head for what felt like hours at a time, and that bits I was stuck on weren't even considered fucking puzzles. I clocked 30 hours on it and most of those I spent in bewilderment, and gave the game to a mate who lapped it up. He whizzed through it, relived a part of his childhood and gave it back to me next time we met saying that it's still every bit a masterpiece.

And lately a small voice from long ago keeps whispering to me when I least expect. "..buy me...don't deny me.. ..you're not mentally challenged, you can prove it if you buy me...go on....order me...you won't regret it..."

I'm thick as shit with Zelda games and I think wanting to buy MM is part of the same stupidity. I dunno.

Try A Link Between Worlds - it's the only Zelda game I've ever properly finished. Took about 18/19 hours, and I did it in a week. Absolutely wonderful game with lots of nice little puzzles, and you're never left wondering where to go next.

I'd echo Paulando's suggestion to try A Link Between Worlds spanky. With the item rental system it basically means you can do the dungeons in any order (if I'm remembering it correctly) so if you do get stuck on a particular path you can always go off and do something else in the interim.

As for Majora's Mask, I'm loving the fact that I seem to have forgotten most of the finer details in the 15 years since the N64 version. I hope I still consider it to be Nintendo's finest game when I complete it again :)

This is my first time playing Majora's Mask and it's amazing! I've just finished Snowhead Temple and thought I was doing great collecting all 15 fairies and defeating the boss within 2 days, until I learnt about the

razor sword and gilded sword; If I want it I've got to do the temple again and defeat the boss within the first day

I'm really enjoying it even if the snowhead dungeon felt like a bit of a slog, not helped at all by the opportunity to fall right back down to the beginning. I'm glad I'm playing on the New 3DS as I'm using the c-stick a lot, especially when rolling around as a Goron.

This is my first time playing Majora's Mask and it's amazing! I've just finished Snowhead Temple and thought I was doing great collecting all 15 fairies and defeating the boss within 2 days, until I learnt about the

razor sword and gilded sword; If I want it I've got to do the temple again and defeat the boss within the first day

I'm really enjoying it even if the snowhead dungeon felt like a bit of a slog, not helped at all by the opportunity to fall right back down to the beginning. I'm glad I'm playing on the New 3DS as I'm using the c-stick a lot, especially when rolling around as a Goron.

When redoing the temples you only have to beat the boss again. A warp appears in the first room.

Am I right in thinking that if you run out of time midway through a dungeon you just have to restart after playing the Song of Time and warping to the nearest owl? So you have a maximum of 72-minutes for each dungeon?

Slowing down time gives you 2-and-a-bit hours for the three days, doesn't it?

You can also save at any point whilst in a dungeon. So it's worth saving early on leaving you time to explore then reload. Once you find the item for a dungeon it's permanent too. So even if you do use the song of time you keep the item making progress through the dungeon a lot quicker using shortcuts. It's all really thoughtfully designed.

This is astoundingly good so far. I'm enjoying it even more than Ocarina of Time (which I also played for the first time on 3DS). It does lack the sense of awe you get every time you cross Hyrule Field, and it all feels pretty small up to now, but the structure is more forgiving, and I've always had at least some idea of where I need to go next. I've just reached the second dungeon, which I managed to do unaided - there were enough clues dotted around to help me get there.

They've managed to make it fun to play as the different characters you can transform into too, which is a relief. Oh, I'm loving the time constraints too, it's very cleverly handled, and I can't wait to see where it all goes next.